Thursday 7/20/2017 What's on the plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been busy taking care of Glenn so I've been relying on meals stashed in the freezer as our entree.

Until I removed it from its shroud, we were having UFO (unidentified food object) but it turned out to be a really tasty chili dog casserole. Sides were steamed Italian green beans and the rest of the wilted cucumbers. Finished with more of the strawberry shortcake I made yesterday. Only one more day of shortcake left. Boo hoo!

Had oatmeal for breakfast, and four leftover BB ribs from the weekend for lunch. For dinner, fresh fruit and veggies again. Before you know it, those summer fruits and veggies will be gone. Especially good strawberries. June strawberries are deep red all the way through, and naturally sweet. Stores are starting to run out of them.

The side benefit of all those fresh veggies and fruit, besides delicious eats, is that I've lost twenty pounds.

CD

OK I have a plan now.....This recipe looks and sounds both delicious and easy. I have all the ingredients, and I'll be using the side burner on the grill. Win Win!!
I might even serve it cold.

Shrimp and Corn with Basil recipe | Epicurious.com

This is a killer recipe! I served it hot and added a little hot pepper flakes, some ground white pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. The basil strips and green onion tops were added just before serving. I also doubled the recipe and we ate every last bit of it with toasted Texas Toast. This will be served many times in the fresh corn season!

Great sounding dinners everyone!

Casey, that's great on the weight loss! You're doing a great job with keeping to a good eating program.

Kayelle, how was dinner? I tried something like last year and we loved it! I need to make it again now that local corn is almost ready for pickin'.
Edit: I saw you liked it. Tasty little bugger, isn't it?

...Deviled eggs are almost always in the fridge lately...
I never think of deviled eggs until you or someone else mentions them. I'm going to put a post-it-note on the cupboard door so I can make eggs tomorrow. I got them at Aldi for 51 cents a dozen last week, and I have fresh dill that will be perfect for an add-in.

I had a nap for supper. I woke up after 2 1/2 hours of sleep with an on-and-off pain in my back, the same one-inch spot that often has an itch. I tried to get back to sleep for another 2 1/2 hours, then gave up and got dressed. Crashed while "watching" the news. Himself let me sleep until I woke up about two hours later. When I got, up I thanked the Refrigerator God for offering up leftovers. Good think I had enough in there!

We had sausage, potato, onion, & cheddar cheese casserole with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes for supper last night. Not cooking tonight - just TOO hot.

I seasoned pork chops with Penzeys Greek Seasoning and made stuffed zucchini with a zuke from the garden. And some crostini with homemade bread topped with garden basil pesto and garden tomatoes. I love this time of year ?
0720172035a_HDR.jpg

We had sausage, potato, onion, & cheddar cheese casserole with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes for supper last night. Not cooking tonight - just TOO hot.
cjmmytunes, do you have a toaster oven? I use mine regularly to bake things without heating up the house too much. It's great for roasting bone-in skin-on chicken breasts that I slice and eat cold later.

cjmmytunes, do you have a toaster oven? I use mine regularly to bake things without heating up the house too much. It's great for roasting bone-in skin-on chicken breasts that I slice and eat cold later.

That's what we normally use - my mistake was cooking it at 4:30 in the afternoon (hottest part of the day)and forgetting to turn on the exhaust fan to draw the excess heat out.

First you have to heat up the oven for half an hour to reach that temperature. Whew! Pretty darn hot.

I want to try grilling a pizza. I just haven't done it yet.

Surprisingly my house didn't get that hot. I hate heat also. But my oven got up to temperature pretty quickly.

I'm not a big pizza eater but think if I made my own I might do more. What interested me was those little stove top pizza ovens that got to 500 +... But does it warrant the expenditure for something that only does one thing?

If myself/family were die hard pizza eaters - I would. Just want'a try it once or twice. :angel:

First you have to heat up the oven for half an hour to reach that temperature. Whew! Pretty darn hot.

I want to try grilling a pizza. I just haven't done it yet.
I grilled my first pizza when we had that derecho in 2012. We didn't have power for a good 2 weeks and the whole town was shut down, used what I could! It was ok.... now I'm trying to convince my fiancé I need a wood burning stove built outdoors to do wood fire pizza. He can do anything!
:heart::heart: although.. I don't think he really believes me when o say I really need one. :ROFLMAO:

Sous Vide

I can't find a separate thread, so here goes.

I'm going to do a SV rump roast, 130 for 24 hours. Today I salted it and wrapped it, tomorrow I'll start the cook. Yup, 48 hours of thought goes into this. I haven't gotten used to this, but I'm working on it.

So Monday, they're be rare roast beef, crispy potatoes and the best asparagus ever.

Back
Top Bottom