Thursday, 8th February - what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is 12Noon here and I have a dentist appointment at 5PM today. I have no idea what I will be in the mood for dinner - it may be something at home or I might just go out to dinner.

Well, I am supposed to have the day off. I thought I was going to get called in, but it looks like I'm home for the day. We just decided on Veal Scalloppini with Fettucine Alfredo. Not sure about the veg.

need help with this

lulu's chicken and mushroom pie sounds really good to me, but alas, no mushrooms here.

Have unbaked pie shells in freezer. Two bone-in chix breasts thawing.

would this work for an open-faced pie?
boil and shred chix
saute diced onion/celery/carrot
make bechamel or open can o' mushroom soup
more liquid? have a little white wine that might taste good
spices? (have most kinds)
bread crumb-type topping? or cheese? (have both)

am I baking the shell first?

Sounds good mudbug. I made the same sort of pie yesterday. I just put all the pie filling in the glass baking dish, then topped it with the thawed (raw) pie crust and baked it. Came out great. I used a white sauce (roux first) and then chicken broth, milk (or cream if you prefer), dont have the exact recipe in front of me, but I think you get the idea.

Making chicken buritos for us tonight.

thanks, amber! got the chicken boiliing away and was starting to worry a little about what to do next. No cream here, but I do have chix broth (I think, have to run down to the basement to check).

what did you use for seasonings?

Went to the market and found some nice looking seabass so I'm broiling that with a chimichurri sauce, mussles in a leek, garlic white wine sauce, some homemade french bread and sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and carrot. Can't wait till the temp get back to 20 degrees so I can start grilling again. It's currently about 1 degree outside now. It's been over a week.

JDP

mudbug said:
thanks, amber! got the chicken boiliing away and was starting to worry a little about what to do next. No cream here, but I do have chix broth (I think, have to run down to the basement to check).

what did you use for seasonings?

Add a wee bit of bourbon....Hush now!!

well,hubby is away working,daughter # 2 is taking jake to her work-Bubba baloos-it's got tunnels,ball pits,games,get tickets to buy things...he will have a blast.So I'm thinking of taking the night off and do nothing.:rolleyes:

I'm having pork too.

Apple and sage marinated pork chops, grilled, topped with a bing cherry and granny smith apple compote. mashed Yukon's and grilled asparagus.

I must confess - Costco roasted chicken, baked yams & steamed broccoli/cauliflower. Had to go to costco for coffee so.............
Is this cooking?? :)

Well, I did get to the market, and I did buy fish....no monkfish, unfortunatley. I got turbot, instead. Looked lovely. However, by the time I got home, it was 6pm and there was no way I was going to cook anything other than the can of Campbell's vegetable soup I had. So, the fish is chilling till Saturday night...

I'll let you know then what I'm having it with.:-p

lulu said:
No, but my favourite salad dressing is actually a bottled dressing for fish and is spicey orange. The bottle tells me it goes beautifully with all white fish and salmon. So I would be confident with using orange instead of lemon. :chef:
I have a bottle of blood orange, spicy viniagarette.
It's really nice.

Well, last night was "supposed" to be husband's ice hockey night, meaning that dinner would be just for me, so I had picked up a small steak for myself. However, upon getting home late, husband decided not to play, so I had to throw something together quick for the both of us. Luckily, I had some fresh Phillips claw crabmeat left over from the shrimp casserole I made the other day, & - woohoo - found a can of artichoke hearts in the pantry, so was able to throw together our favorite "Crab & Artichoke" crostini, using a loaf of artisinal Roasted Garlic bread for the base. Outrageously fast & delicious.

Relegated my steak to the freezer for the next hockey night.

Back
Top Bottom