Thursday in the Kitchen 9/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, nothing is perfect, but it has good guidelines. Maybe if you send an email to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, someone will look more closely at it.

It's definitely true that some types of fish farming causes serious problems. I just don't want people to get the impression that all of it is bad. I've seen people say they never buy farmed fish, only wild, which is causing overfishing and declining populations.

I read an interesting article awhile ago about farming fish in recirculating tanks in the Appalachian Mountains. It can replace the coal industry with new jobs and ease some pressure on wild fish populations. Win-win.

I've been considering buying some Arctic char that is farmed in a recirculating tank here in Quebec. I'm just skeptical because it's related to trout and salmon and I don't like those cooked, only cold smoked or gravad.

I can't help you there. I'm not a big fan of salmon, either. I bought some char on the recommendation of a friend several years ago and thought it was a poor imitation of salmon [emoji1787] It's less colorful and less nutritious, too.

I can't help you there. I'm not a big fan of salmon, either. I bought some char on the recommendation of a friend several years ago and thought it was a poor imitation of salmon [emoji1787] It's less colorful and less nutritious, too.

I've read that the flavour is "lighter", which might be a plus.

I've read that the flavour is "lighter", which might be a plus.

Brook trout are actually members of the char family. They are lighter than some salmon. But if they are wild caught, they've been eating fresh water shrimp, and scuds. These are high in beta carotene which stains the flesh a beautiful orange color, and imparts a wonderful flavor, as do all the underwater nymphs and crayfish they feed on. Hatchery raised, and farm raised brookies have white flesh, and are nearly flavorless. I would assume that arctic char are the same. I know that wild rainbows and steelhead also taste much better, and are healthier than farm, or hatchery raised. The stresses that they encounter in the wild, plus the better water quality, and food quality makes a huge difference.

If you are interested, see what Montana did with their wild trout populations, and how they found out that hatchery raised fish actually damage the troujt populations of streams, lakes, and rivers. When left to propagate naturally, in good water, the salmonid species thrives. It is when we step in and try to fix things that fisheries become dicey. Colotado is learning the same thing.

The other problem with farmed dish is that if there is a break in the holding nets, fish escape and carry disease to the wild fish populations, and often breed with their wild counterparts, degrading the gene pool, and damaging the indigenous, wild fish strains.

We are continually finding that as we try to change the word to match what we think is how we want it, we are actually hurting ourselves, in the long run.

If you're not a salmon, or trout fan, then choose a sustainable, wild caught species such as Pollok, or other sustainable fish. The following link gives a pretty good list of fish to choose, and fish to avoid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_seafood

Srrrrya; Chief Longwind of the North

Fish farmed in inland recirculating tanks don't mingle with the wild species. Well, I suppose if something catastrophic happened to the building and the tanks fell apart, they could, but that's fairly unlikely. It's one of the points in their favour.

We are continually finding that as we try to change the word to match what we think is how we want it, we are actually hurting ourselves, in the long run.
That's not why they're doing it. With the world's population expected to increase to about 9.8 billion by 2050, scientists and farmers are coming up with new ways to continue to be able to feed the world.

I've been considering buying some Arctic char that is farmed in a recirculating tank here in Quebec. I'm just skeptical because it's related to trout and salmon and I don't like those cooked, only cold smoked or gravad.

Taxi, as you know I've always been right there with you in terms of how we like our salmon, and cooking has never appealed to either of us.

This recipe changed my mind and I do hope you'll consider trying it.

I'm certain now that my dislike has been because it's always been overcooked.:chef:

Attachments

• P9170071.jpg
    P9170071.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Taxi, as you know I've always been right there with you in terms of how we like our salmon, and cooking has never appealed to either of us.

I'm certain now that my dislike has been because it's always been overcooked.:chef:

I'm thinking about it. But, I'm skeptical. I was in a fancy resto with my sister while visiting her in SoCal years ago. They had a "fire kissed salmon tartar" appetizer. I asked the server about it and was told that they use one of those kitchen blow torches and it only "kisses" the outside of the appetizer a little bit. I tried it. The salmon was chopped and mixed with some sort of seasoning. I removed the outer layer and tasted the inside. I only tasted the part that hadn't changed colour from the heat. It was contaminated with the taste of cooked salmon. Nope, nope, nope. I gave the rest of it to my sister. She thought it was wonderful.

I have some salmon.....I may need to try this!

Kayelle, for your next foil-pack preparation, try this. I use it and you get amazing flavor..
Ingredients:
  1. 2 nine by twelve sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil
  2. 1 boneless salmon, or steelhead fillet, or salmon steak, or whole brook trout, rainbow, or char, gutted, head removed, and cleaned
  3. 2 tbs. Salted butter
  4. 1 tbs. Lemon juice
  5. 1/2 cup Thin slice carrot coins
  6. 1/4 cup Diced russet potatoes per foil-pack
  7. 1 tsp. AP Flour
  8. 1/2 tsp. mince, fresh rosemary
  9. 1 generous pinch Kosher, or coarse-grind salt
  10. 1 tbs. of your favorite honey

Saute the diced potatoes until they just start to soften. set aside.

Spread 1 tbs. of the softened butter on a 9 X 12 sheet of heavy duty foil. Pat the fish fillet fry with paper towels. Lay fish onto the foil sheet, leaving room for the veggies. Place separate piles of the potato and carrot onto the foil. dot the veggies with the remaining butter. Drizzle the honey over the carrots. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the fish, and then rosemary, and flour over the fish, and potatoes. Season with the pepper. Lightly butter the 2nd foil sheet and place over the first sheet. Crimp all of the edges tightly and bake in the campfire, on the grill, or in the oven for ten minutes.

I cant tell you why the fish flavor isn't absorbed into the veggies. But it remains separate. The carrot does add a bit of flavor to the fish, but just a hint. The flour turns into a lovely sauce that pairs perfectly with the fish, and potatoes. for desert. might I suggest a blueberry cobbler?

Tis recipe also works with ground beef, chicken, shrimp, pork, basically, any proteins. Of course, cooking times will be longer. If you wanted to, you could even make a stwe in a foil pouch.

You share with us a great foil-pouch salmon recipe. Just thought I'd give you one back:chef:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom