Thursday in the Kitchen 9/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Air-Fried Chicken Leg, Baked Russet with Sour Cream, Lefty Corn with Green Beans, and a Salad.........

Chicken Leg & Thigh , Air Fryer.jpg

Kids coming for dinner.

A/F pork tenderloin, Brussels sprouts, rice pilaf, green salad and garlic knots.

Bavarian chocolate pie for dessert.

Ross

I had leftovers today, but I earlier I made some guacamole - yesterday was National Guacamole Day, but I put off making it because I had a dentist appt, and had to watch what I was eating. Even today I had to be careful, but I had to use up the avocados! One of my favorite dishes, esp. with the tomatoes and chiles still fresh from the garden.

ohmygosh, all those pictures have my mouth watering.

I've never liked cooked salmon, but because I gave it a try again with Hozey's wonderful chef we use often, I'm giving it another chance because that was stellar.

SC got a nice piece of salmon at the grocery, labeled "Atlantac salmon, farm raised".
The way I see it that must mean it's from the Atlantic area, who has never swam (swum?) in the Atlantic, but the fish farm may have had a view of the ocean, who knows?:rolleyes:
Then again, it could mean that "Atlantic salmon" is a species that is farm raised maybe with a view of the Pacific? Again, who knows, and I can't ask the salmon. ;)

Geeze, I've been told often that I just think too much.

Anyway, I really trust recipes from damndelicous.com as she's a terrific cook.
I'll be making this recipe tonight, and SC is putting together the marinade as we speak. I'll report later about the outcome...

https://damndelicious.net/2014/12/19/asian-salmon-foil/print/

Last edited:
Swedish Meatloaf (was supposed to be meatballs but ran out of energy) and buttered pappardelle both topped with creamy mushroom mustard gravy.

swedish_meatloaf_091720_IMG_7174.jpg

And a stuffed artichoke

stuffed_artichoke_091720_IMG_7172.JPG

Kayelle, I think your salmon might be ocean raised. I've read that the farmers contain the salmon in mesh corrals. Pretty clever.

Himself had his last post-cataracts doc appointment today. Since the office is close to our favorite butcher and the weather might be our last very nice day for a while, we decided to celebrate his new eyes with a lovely steak. He grilled it perfectly. Sides were baked potato (finished on the grill), sauteed mushrooms finished with dry Sherry corn on the cob, and tossed salad.

IMG_20200917_204908066.jpg

The problem with salmon raised in the ocean in mesh corals arises when they are crowded together. Then they pass diseases (and ocean lice) to each other and then to the free swimming wild salmon.

The problem with salmon raised in the ocean in mesh corals arises when they are crowded together. Then they pass diseases (and ocean lice) to each other and then to the free swimming wild salmon.
It's not that simple. Farming fish is done in different ways in different places, some of which are good choices and some of which are not. The Seafood Watch app from the Monterey Bay Aquarium has detailed information on fisheries around the world. For example:
Screenshot_20200918-004444_Seafood%20Watch.jpgScreenshot_20200918-004454_Seafood%20Watch.jpg

Ykies, I didn't see any lice. :shock:

At any rate, the salmon turned out much better than I ever suspected, since we are not a fans of cooked salmon at all.

The recipe I left above, was followed exactly and the cook time was perfect, as it was moist and just ever so slightly underdone. That could be the missing salmon secret for me. The balance of the flavors with the sauce and fish in foil was spot on, and I sure will do it again. SC was equally impressed with the outcome.
I served it with roasted asparagus, and steamed Jasmine rice flavored with Singapore Seasoning, sesame oil and lemon juice. The yummy reserved sauce from the foil packet was served on the side.
Here's the recipe again......***** https://damndelicious.net/2014/12/19/asian-salmon-foil/print/

Delicious...:yum:

Attachments

• P9170069.jpg
    P9170069.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 79
  • P9170070.jpg
    P9170070.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 82
  • P9170071.jpg
    P9170071.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
It's not that simple. Farming fish is done in different ways in different places, some of which are good choices and some of which are not. The Seafood Watch app from the Monterey Bay Aquarium has detailed information on fisheries around the world. For example:
View attachment 42974View attachment 42975

I didn't say that fish farming was evil. I was very specific about one sort of problem that arises under specific conditions. And, I didn't like the implication in the shared (very hard to read) screenshots that all farmed salmon for BC was suspect. There is actually a group of fishermen in British Columbia that has certification that they adhere to best practices for sustainability.

Simple fare tonight, ground beef with onion, red bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. When the meat was lightly browned, 2 tbs. of flour was added and stirred in until it was lightly browned as well, water was very slowly stirred in to make a grave. Oh, and mushrooms were cooked with the beef as well/ All of this went over basmati rice. Desert - ripe watermelon cubes, ice cold from the fridge.

Tasted good, filled the belly. A good cool night supper.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Had to use up some left over pulled pork.
(Not bbq pulled pork again)... :neutral:

Had a package of Dynasty egg roll/spring roll wrappers that needed to be used up. I only added the pork, rolled them up and deep fried them.
Served with rice.That was a nice change. Choice of dipping sauce, bbq sauce, soy, or tonkatsu.

When I went to bed 6 were left. Thought cool lunch tomorrow.:cool:

Woke up this morning the guys raided the fridge. :pig:
Guess that's a keeper.

I didn't say that fish farming was evil. I was very specific about one sort of problem that arises under specific conditions. And, I didn't like the implication in the shared (very hard to read) screenshots that all farmed salmon for BC was suspect. There is actually a group of fishermen in British Columbia that has certification that they adhere to best practices for sustainability.
The way you responded to Kayelle sounded pretty generalized, and she apparently took it to mean you were talking about the fish she had. Otherwise, why mention it here?

The images I posted were not the entire page. I took screen shots of the top and bottom, so there's more in between. If you go to the page (or download the app), you can click/tap on each item for more specific information. I posted it to to let people know that there's a resource they can use to get reliable information about fisheries around the world.

Last edited:
The way you responded to Kayelle sounded pretty generalized, and she apparently took it to mean you were talking about the fish she had. Otherwise, why mention it here?

The images I posted were not the entire page. I took screen shots of the top and bottom, so there's more in between. If you go to the page (or download the app), you can click/tap on each item for more specific information. I posted it to to let people know that there's a resource they can use to get reliable information about fisheries around the world.
I was actually replying to CG. Some fish farming is causing real problems.

I have the app. I checked. They don't seem to know that anyone in British Columbia is catching salmon commercially using hook and line.

I guess I could have written, "... if they are crowded together ..." rather than "... when they are crowded together ..." I meant, "... in the cases when ..."

I was actually replying to CG. Some fish farming is causing real problems.

I have the app. I checked. They don't seem to know that anyone in British Columbia is catching salmon commercially using hook and line.

I guess I could have written, "... if they are crowded together ..." rather than "... when they are crowded together ..." I meant, "... in the cases when ..."
Well, nothing is perfect, but it has good guidelines. Maybe if you send an email to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, someone will look more closely at it.

It's definitely true that some types of fish farming causes serious problems. I just don't want people to get the impression that all of it is bad. I've seen people say they never buy farmed fish, only wild, which is causing overfishing and declining populations.

I read an interesting article awhile ago about farming fish in recirculating tanks in the Appalachian Mountains. It can replace the coal industry with new jobs and ease some pressure on wild fish populations. Win-win.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom