Thursday, July 17 -- What's For Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyCatLady

Sous Chef
Crockpot roast beef and provolone and swiss cheese sandwiches, dipped in Au Jus gravy, along with a cucumber, bell pepper and olive salad.

Ya beat me to it. I started a supper thread, but decided to check again if there was one, and, while I was posting, one appeared. :)

I made a salad of romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, carrot, celery, and onion. I served it with hard boiled eggs (eggs courtesy of CWS), purslane from my garden, anchovies, green and Kalamata olives, Feta cheese, capers, and ranch dressing (mayo, yogourt, minced garlic mushed with salt, minced onion, parsley from the garden, a splash of white wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil). It was even better than I expected. I'll post pix soon.

Since our eggplant plants are overachievers, I made bubatora's eggplant rolls, except instead of the sauce called for in the recipe, I used my own homemade oven-roasted (and home-canned) tomato sauce. The dish was wonderful. Thank you bubatora.

Along with the entree, we had steamed and buttered cubes of zucchini and yellow squash, toasted homemade baguette, iced tea and, for dessert, homemade oatmeal cookies. We're stuffed.

Not sure about anyone else, but I just got stuffed reading those last posts!

I didn't eat yesterday, so I decided it would be a good idea to eat today. Spike brought me my baguette and Swiss cheese for the topping to my onion soup. Will eat around nineish. I am not hungry right now either. I am getting a little concerned. Lately it is almost everyday I don't feel like eating. I don't know if it is the cold or is that dang bugaboo of not eating for days coming back. I am not anorexic, I just have no appetite or desire to eat. This happens every so often. The last time, I went five days without eating. So I am going to make myself eat tonight whether I want to or not. I will make just a short bowl.

He gave me a big container of his onion soup. Five pounds of onions in it. It is so good when I have the appetite for it. :angel:

We had very tasty burgers tonight. I made mine with smoked gruyere, mayo, tomato, genoa salami and onion.

Had some of my homemade burger/kaiser buns in the freezer so I made grilled chicken sandwiches, toasted the buns on the grill. Served that with a spinach salad.

Just had some fresh pineapple. How the heck does Aldi sell fresh pineapple for $1.19? They have been this price for a while and it was so sweet and tasty.

All of your dinners sound delish!

I'm doing some beautiful stuffed red bell peppers and baked potatoes. I need my head examined for heating up the oven.:wacko:

Turns out it was worth heating up the kitchen. The best peppers I've ever done.

img_1375538_0_7c03b3ce8daff647740dfb9797ebdf53.jpg

Threw pork chops on the grill, served with green beans, Swiss Chard, and potatoes from the garden. Still have to deal with the peas and more beans before more need to be picked...bring on the start of harvest season.

Ya beat me to it. I started a supper thread, but decided to check again if there was one, and, while I was posting, one appeared. :)

I made a salad of romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, carrot, celery, and onion. I served it with hard boiled eggs (eggs courtesy of CWS), purslane from my garden, anchovies, green and Kalamata olives, Feta cheese, capers, and ranch dressing (mayo, yogourt, minced garlic mushed with salt, minced onion, parsley from the garden, a splash of white wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil). It was even better than I expected. I'll post pix soon.
20140717_190800.jpg
20140717_191133.jpg
20140717_191327.jpg

Kayelle and Taxy...beautiful pics of your dinners! :yum:

Everyone's dinners sound so good, I'm drooling over reading about them.

I had an avocado salad with tomatoes, red onions, and cucumbers with some Italian dressing. Fixin' to have a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream here in a few. :)

Purslane.jpg

It is cultivated in many countries. It's considered a weed in the US and Canada. It was probably introduced. You might have it growing in your yard. ;) Portulaca oleracea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:ohmy: I had no idea purslane was a member of the portulaca/moss rose family. I often grow portulaca in pots on my patio - they love the heat and have such beautiful, but short lived, little flowers. Saved your link Taxy, to read more about it. Thank you.

:ohmy: I had no idea purslane was a member of the portulaca/moss rose family. I often grow portulaca in pots on my patio - they love the heat and have such beautiful, but short lived, little flowers. Saved your link Taxy, to read more about it. Thank you.

So do I, Cheryl. They're great little plants. I'm pretty sure I've been pulling purslane up out of my garden. I'll have to check and make sure.

Purslane was a summer regular in my parents' home. Mom would mix it with yogurt and minced garlic S&P for a cold side dish. Not sure if she blanched it first.

Purslane was a summer regular in my parents' home. Mom would mix it with yogurt and minced garlic S&P for a cold side dish. Not sure if she blanched it first.
It didn't seem to need blanching. How big were the pieces of purslane? Did she leave the leaves whole?

Back
Top Bottom