Thursday, July 22, 2021 - Dinner Time! Ring the Bell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Did I miss the dinner thread for tonight? If so, I apologize.

Tonight's dinner reminds me to be thankful to have been raised on sweet tea and cornbread! I grew the beans, cucumbers, and the corn (which is not in the picture.) The green onion is from my kitchen scrap garden, which is a pot where I plant ends of veggies like lettuce and celery bottoms and green onion roots.

Attachments

• 2021-07-22.jpg
    2021-07-22.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 58
We've had a busy day so I threw together a quick ground beef casserole for dinner tonight.

I grocery shopped today, so we had leftovers. Himself had some of the Thai peanut chicken while I made a hot ham and cheese sandwich on one of the two remaining sub buns.

I made bachelor surprise. Tonight it was frozen, mixed Asian style vegis, some fresh tatsoi, ground pork, and brown rice. As an experiment, I fried a bit of an heirloom Scotch bonnet in the oil, before frying anything else. Then, I pulled it out and let it cool, so we could taste it on its own. I thought I was trying out a new-to-me pepper called, ají chombo, but it I had grabbed an heirloom habanero. Oh well, it added a nice, not too hot, kick to the meal and tasted nice on its own.

Then I fried the meat and the defrosted vegis; added the brown rice and some sesame seeds; and finally, for the last two minutes or so, the tatsoi. There was tamari to go with that. We figured a hot sauce would cover the flavour of that habanero. That was quite good.

Bachelor surprise with ground pork, tatsoi, brown rice.jpg

Boy's night out at the Montana Club in Helena. I had ribeye with rosemary compound butter and fries. My son had the New York Strip with demi glace and a salad. Grandson had a bacon-cheese burger. The place looked fancy, with an extensive wine list. None of us drink alcoholic beverages. The fries were over browned, and flabby. The steaks were cooked properly, tender, but had little flavor. They did have some very nice Brie, wrapped in wonton skins and fried.

And this is why I rarely eat out. For less cost, I can make better food at home. That's the advantage, and curse of knowing how to cook well.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had the last of my zucchini and squash that came from a friends garden, and some butter noodles. Was too full for any dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom