Thursday Supper for a very raw cold day! 11/6/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a fresh shoulder. It has been raining off and on, blustery winds blowing here and there. A perfect day for a nice sit down dinner with veggies and gravy to go with the roast. And since I have time, I think I will make some chocolate pudding from scratch.

But in the meantime, I have to run downstairs to get the laundry out of the dryer. Then to the stove! :angel:

I stopped at the fish counter over lunch and picked up some goodies, including Icelandic Cod, Salmon, and Mahi Mahi. So we'll probably have one of those tonight and the rest will go in the freezer.

I have a late afternoon eye appointment in town so we'll be going to our favorite Chinese restaurant for an early dinner. We love their roasted duck and salt n pepper calamari.

I made some nice mushroom rice soup, and we have leftover spaghetti and sauce, so we won't go hungry tonight. Leftover Halloween candy for dessert.

Laundry is done, roast is in the oven and I have some free time on my hands. I made Hershey's Chocolate Pudding, Microwave version. So easy, sooo delicious! I had a small teaspoon taste. That's it for me. :angel:

I've got a meatloaf in the oven. Since I can't have white bread, I used a half package of cornbread stuffing mix for the filler, and it's got plenty of seasoning.

I made up a small batch of gazpacho with chunks of avocado and mini shrimp.

Meat and veggies. Yum!

I had half a pkg of bacon from making the zuppa soup last weekend and it needed to be cooked. So I made scrambled eggs to go with it. This is a meal that won't get made often anymore since DH's stent placements.

Beautiful and clear here today but windy and chilly. In the shade with the wind blowing, it was really cold, so I thought soup would be a good choice. So...

We're having my homemade potato soup, a recipe I created over 50 years ago, homemade baguette with lots of butter and roasted garlic, iced tea, and the last of the anniversary cake.

Since this is our 'Friday night,' we tried The Melting Pot for fondue the first time. They were part of a special dining program in our city and featured a mixed entree of shrimp, lobster, chicken, beef besides the crudites, salad and chocolate course. Pretty happy overall. It was a nice leisurely dinner in an adults only room. Very enjoyable.

Last edited:
I made some nice mushroom rice soup, and we have leftover spaghetti and sauce, so we won't go hungry tonight. Leftover Halloween candy for dessert.

I saw a joke today where the mother is taking half of her child's Halloween candy. Her reason, Candy Tax. Everyone has to pay the Candy Tax. Even children. :angel:

Raw? Cold? It's dinner time here in Los Angeles and it's still 70 degrees outside! In fact I appreciate the reminder of the topic title to spur me to turn off my air conditioner -- which probably hasn't cycled in a few hours -- our outside temperature having reached 82 today.

I've been unwell a few days and have been farming my refrigerator and freezer. (Including a few nuke 'n puke dinners.) Feeling better today I went by the supermarket and picked up resupply.

I got a nice deal on some modest sized rib eye steaks (all the rest of the steaks in most markets are super sized) and I'm doing my steak quick in a cast iron griller pan, along with my Potatoes Franconio recipe (named after an extinct restaurant) which is mostly a sliced potato, shuffled and reassembled into a potato shape, then baked and repeatedly basted in butter. Very delicious!

I'll have some wasabe sauce with my steak.

Greg, remember that there are 3000 miles of climate differences between LA and Boston. :D

We had a very autumnal supper on a very autumnal kind of day. I had a little chicken to roast, so I put all the veggies in the oven too. Except for the red sweet potato that I microwaved and we split. I thought it was too starchy, but Himself thought it was fine. He probably put more butter on his half. ;)

We filled our plates with chicken, roasted beets with a dusting of cinnamon, potato, and Brussels sprouts two ways. One dish had them mixed with chayote (something else we wanted to try), the other with apple, grapes and walnuts. Both were yummy. Heck, it was ALL yummy!

Attachments

• 2014-11-06 21.45.37.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.45.37.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 161
Looks good, CG. :yum:

I slow roasted a pork shoulder yesterday and nibbled on it, but this evening it was even better. I refrigerated the pan juices overnight so I could remove the solidified fat today and make a gravy with the good stuff.

So tonight's dinner was roast pork, mashed Yukon golds with gravy, and steamed broccoli with a little butter and cracked black pepper. I'm stuffed. :yum:

One dish had them mixed with chayote (something else we wanted to try

Chayote also goes well with corn in a succotash-type dish, sans the lima beans unless you happen to like them of course. Also in stuffings with shrimp like you'd do a stuffed zucchini.

Looks good, CG. :yum:

I slow roasted a pork shoulder yesterday and nibbled on it, but this evening it was even better. I refrigerated the pan juices overnight so I could remove the solidified fat today and make a gravy with the good stuff.

So tonight's dinner was roast pork, mashed Yukon golds with gravy, and steamed broccoli with a little butter and cracked black pepper. I'm stuffed. :yum:

That's what I made yesterday for supper. Only I roasted my potatoes whole with the roast. I also made the chocolate pudding. It is so rich when you make it yourself. Doesn't even resemble the box stuff. :angel:

I've got a meatloaf in the oven. Since I can't have white bread, I used a half package of cornbread stuffing mix for the filler, and it's got plenty of seasoning.
Z, I hate to say it, but that stuffing mix may have more carbs in it than plain white bread. Something like Stove Top brand has 21 grams of carbs per ounce, whereas the same size portion of white bread has 15.

Back
Top Bottom