Thursday's Dinner - March 13, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
No dinner thread yet? What the heck?

Having one of the boyfriends over tonight. Rose's party chicken, some kind of pasta to soak up the sauce, steamed broccoli, spinach salad and lemony bars for dessert.

No dinner thread yet? What the heck?

Having one of the boyfriends over tonight. Rose's party chicken, some kind of pasta to soak up the sauce, steamed broccoli, spinach salad and lemony bars for dessert.

Interesting. Ken doesn't mind?

I'm trying a recipe for Glazed Caribbean Chicken tonight. I'm making a string bean dish to go along with it.

Really. Shouldn't you be going to their house, Alix? ;)

I'll be making the chimichitos I never got to last night. I'll make extras for a quick lunch Saturday. Or eat them all, depending...

I had a big chunk of one of those never ending cabbages, that pac talked about recently, in the back of the crisper drawer and decided tonight was the night for it to make a final appearance.

I'm using it in an old recipe from Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow Cook Book, with a few twists of my own, called Pork Chops and Cabbage. Pork chops, chopped onion, shredded cabbage, a little flour, butter, S&P, milk, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or so until everything is bubbly and a gravy has formed. This is great with baked potatoes on a cold stormy night. I'm having mine tonight with a side of cabbage salad.

Last edited:
I guess I need to cook tonight. There are no leftovers and I'm low on cash for take out. I have some smoked sausage in the fridge. I think I'll fry some up and make some macaroni and cheese to go with it. Not sure if I'll stir the sausage in the mac'n'cheese or not. We'll see when I get things done which way to serve it.

Beef stroganoff (heavy on the mushrooms :yum: ) over a variety of noodles (cleaning out the last bits of leftover bags in the pantry) and broccoli. I was going to make a garden salad but I'm too cold for salad today. Tomorrow will be warmer...

I'm defrosting some uncooked frikadelle forcemeat. So, frikadeller, boiled potatoes, steemed beets with lemon and butter. I'm trying to decide if I want to make some gravy.

I was housebound most of the day while a fellow worked on the flooring, so I put together a lasagna...will be eating on that a few days, as well as sharing and freezing some.

Cooking steamed mussels with L.O. rice and a wedge of lettuce with blue cheese dressing.
I can hardly wait! Had a chance to go the Fisherman's Shack and get some really fresh mussels (not wild caught cuz I don't think those are available anymore here). Had an Oyster Po' Boy for lunch while there.

Oh happy day!

Mild Italian Sausages, creamed corn and mashed potatoes.

Ironically, this was a family favourite for both TB and I, even though we have totally different cultural backgrounds. It was a comfort meal for all of us when Dad was living here. It is usually any kind of sausage, but we like the mild Italian.

Since we are both trying to get over colds I thought it would be good and we both enjoyed it.

I'm defrosting some uncooked frikadelle forcemeat. So, frikadeller, boiled potatoes, steemed steamed <edit> beets with lemon and butter. I'm trying to decide if I want to make some gravy.
I won't be freezing the frikadelle forcemeat again. They tasted good, but they tended to have bits fall off and stick to the pan more than usual. I boiled the potatoes in the pot I should have used for the beets, so I had to use a smaller pot and boil them, since they wouldn't fit with the steamer basket. They are better steamed, but they were still pretty good. I made a pan gravy. It was quite good, but had a few burnt bits from the bits that fell off the frikadeller. I didn't quite get them all out of the pan. I sauteed some shallots in butter in the pan and added vegi stock and beef stock and whipping cream. I didn't have the patience to simmer it 'til it got thick, so I pulled some roux out of the fridge and added a bit. The gravy was hardly noticeable with the frikadeller, but it was quite tasty with the taters.

While I was eating the beets, I tried to see if I could detect the "dirt" flavour that some people find unpleasant. I couldn't detect it at all. I wonder if those people like cilantro and can't taste the "soap" flavour.

I'm taking a writing class on Wednesdays, so my Wednesday dinner with friends has moved to Thursdays. Tonight I had chicken and cheese quesadillas and my favorite pink wine, along with some great conversation with good friends. I've missed that.

...While I was eating the beets, I tried to see if I could detect the "dirt" flavour that some people find unpleasant. I couldn't detect it at all. I wonder if those people like cilantro and can't taste the "soap" flavour...
I love the flavor of beets. Hot with butter, cold plain, just so long as they aren't dolled up as pickles or thickly coated like Harvard beets. Even with trying to find a "dirt" flavor I don't think I would be able to. However, cilantro and I are not friends yet. I've tried to acquire a taste for it but all I end up doing is tossing on parsley. I always told my Mom if something has to have you acquire a taste for it it can't taste all that good to begin with. :LOL:

I love the flavor of beets. Hot with butter, cold plain, just so long as they aren't dolled up as pickles or thickly coated like Harvard beets. Even with trying to find a "dirt" flavor I don't think I would be able to. However, cilantro and I are not friends yet. I've tried to acquire a taste for it but all I end up doing is tossing on parsley. I always told my Mom if something has to have you acquire a taste for it it can't taste all that good to begin with. :LOL:

I love beets all ways, even harvard and am also a fan of cilantro. But then again I seem to like a lot of the "hard to love" tastes ... except liver.

Back
Top Bottom