Thursday's Dinner Table 2/2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you my wife and daughter loved it. I have gotten away from velveting. I mix with dark soy, rice wine and corn starch and let it marinade at least 30 minutes. Then I sear it in the wok.
The process you describe is velveting. See here.

Velveting "refers to the coating of meat pieces in cornstarch, egg whites, wine, and other seasonings such as garlic and soy sauce, to make it more tender."

Your dish looks really great, by the way!

chicken -n- veggie alfredo
It's not a great pic, but here was dinner...

img_1103360_0_300e84f81aa81b592daf3a3161d0a2c2.jpg

The process you describe is velveting. See here.

Velveting "refers to the coating of meat pieces in cornstarch, egg whites, wine, and other seasonings such as garlic and soy sauce, to make it more tender."

Your dish looks really great, by the way!

I don't want to argue with you but marinading meat is not velveting. Its the blanching (oil and water create different feels) that creates the velvet mouth feel. This is a good article

The problem with that method is it creates a protective layer on the meat. It protects the meat but its makes it hard to flavor the meat.

Palomilla steak, which instead of the traditional sirlon, we subbed rib-eye. Black beans and rice. Maduros and flan for dessert.:yum:

Craig

I don't want to argue with you but marinading meat is not velveting. Its the blanching (oil and water create different feels) that creates the velvet mouth feel. This is a good article

The problem with that method is it creates a protective layer on the meat. It protects the meat but its makes it hard to flavor the meat.

Hi PPT, I couldn't get your link to work. It kept going to the homepage of that site.

Here's a link to a video that shows the velveting process clearly:

How to Velvet Chicken for Stir Fry Dishes - YouTube

Sorry, I misunderstood your recipe. Yes, what you are doing is a little different from traditional velveting. I do pretty much the same thing as you with beef broccoli, but I think I probably use a little more oil and don't go for a full sear. I don't actually blanch it in the oil, though.

Sorry, I misunderstood your recipe. Yes, what you are doing is a little different from traditional velveting. I do pretty much the same thing as you with beef broccoli, but I think I probably use a little more oil and don't go for a full sear. I don't actually blanch it in the oil, though.

I used to blanch in oil. It gives a nice mouth feel but it taste bland. So I was adding calories for bland meat.... By changing the method a bit and the cut of meat I get tender very tasty meat.

I know that a lot of restaurants use velveting. But I think they do it so they can use cheaper cuts of meat and stir-fry bigger batches.

Back
Top Bottom