Thursday's Kitchen Comfort - 11/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Doubled Swiss Cheeseburger sans Bun.... Roasted Fingerlings, Baby Carrots with Lefty Peas,
Tomato & red Onion Slices, Hamburger Dill Slices....

Burger, Swiss 11-18-21.jpg

My sister and I went to lunch. I had a short rib grilled cheese sandwich with fries and a Madagascar vanilla crème brûlée. Not the slightest bit hungry.

I would say Andy, that sounds outrageously good!
? no photo ?

I made grilled NY Strip Steak, fresh Mushrooms, Asparagus, Sweet Bell Peppers and Sweet Onion.
Our household hasn't really eaten anything for 2 days... Mom wasn't feeling well and DH & I just fended for ourselves, aka snacks from the pantry. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We ate in the resto at the hotel. Nothing special, but pretty good. DH had bacon and beef burger. I had a shrimp and avocado salad. DH had double chocolate cake for dessert and I had a piece of cherry cheese cake. I would eat there again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. We'll be having breakfast there all three mornings, since it is included. I imagine it will be fine.

Tonight's dinner was better than most. It was use up leftovers night. So what made this dinner special? I made it with my 7year old grandson. We made chicken soup.

Ingredients: 1 quart chicken broth
1 large chicken breast half, raw
1 large chicken breast half, leftover, roasted, already seasoned
1/2 onion, minced
1 pint water
2 tbs. Better Than Boulton chicken base
dried herbs - sage, bay leaves, granulated garlic, thyme, salt

I fried the raw chicken breast in the enameled Dutch oven in a tbs. of olive oil until lightly browned on both sides, and just barely cooked through. The cooked chicken was removed and set on a plate to rest. The diced onion, and broth were added to the Dutch oven, along with leftover rice, and spaetzle.

I got out a 6 inch chef's knife and made sure it was very sharp. I placed a damp paper towel under the cutting board to make it firm, explaining to my grandson everything I did, and why it was done. I cut the meat into long strips that could easily be diced. I shoed the boy the claw grip for holding the meat, and the pinch grip for holding and controlling the knife, stressing safety, and technique were much more important than speed. I made sure that he understood hoe to curl his fingers back in the claw, and tuck the thumb behind his fingers. I made a few slices to demonstrate, and gave him the knife. He did everything nearly perfectly, cutting same size cubes from the chicken. The knife went through the meat like it was soft butter.

I removed the lid from the simmering pot, showing, and explaining how steam rushes from the part of the lid that opens first, and so open the back side oft the pot first to avoid steam burns. I gave him a wooden, long handle spoon and had him stir, and taste the broth. He said it was ok.

I gave him the herb canisters shoed him which part to open so as to control how much he was adding, and had him sprinkle them into the broth, letting him know when there was enough. We let it simmer a few minutes and the tatted it again. He loved his creation.. We then put the diced chicken, rice, and spaetzle in, stirred it to get everything well mixed, covered, and let it all simmer for ten minutes, again with me telling him how the herbs, and chicken needed a little time to make the broth taste right. He set the table, with his sister's help. Parents got home just as we were sitting down. .My grandson gushed how he and I made dinner, and how he was able to use a sharp knife very well. Of course my son had to tease him just a bit, telling him to hold up his hands and show his fingers. After that, he praised his son for making a very tasty soup, as did his mom.
Both he and his siblings had three servings each, with the adults each having a bowl full. It really was a tasty soup. It was an even better experience. The boy and I are going to make some kind of desert on Saturday, and tie some fishing flies tomorrow. This is what life is supposed to be like.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Each year that we've come here, we've joked that our Thursday supper would be sundaes at Love Boat Ice Cream. With no leftovers, sundaes happened today! Himself had a "sticky banana" sundae: banana ice cream, a sliced banana, chocolate syrup, chopped peanuts, whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Mine was a hot fudge sundae with cherry vanilla, chocolate brownie chunk, and toasted coconut ice creams, hot fudge, etc. *blort*

IMG_20211118_192614550_HDR.jpgIMG_20211118_192628347_HDR.jpg

Each year that we've come here, we've joked that our Thursday supper would be sundaes at Love Boat Ice Cream. With no leftovers, sundaes happened today! Himself had a "sticky banana" sundae: banana ice cream, a sliced banana, chocolate syrup, chopped peanuts, whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Mine was a hot fudge sundae with cherry vanilla, chocolate brownie chunk, and toasted coconut ice creams, hot fudge, etc. *blort*

View attachment 49959View attachment 49960

Oh if I were only a 20-something again... The ice cream treats i used to make. Eat one of those for me.

well hell, CG. Exactly what Jeannie and I would order. :yum:

We made due with leftovers from Wednesday's 'Free Pie' day dinner @ the Village Inn.

Pot roast for Jeannie, fish and chips for me.

Vanilla pudding for dessert.

Ross

I did a Rotisserie Chicken. A copycat of El Pollo Loco chicken, in terms of the marinade, but then kept whole and done on the Showtime. Sides were Spicy Pinto Beans from the freezer and cooktop Mexican Rice...and corn tortillas. I have a lot of leftover chicken, so I'll be putting my thinking cap to re-create that! :chef:

IMG_5844 (2).jpg

Thai red curry over noodles. Nice catch-all for small leftover bits: turkey scraps, garlic, onion, green bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, with tomato added.

8a30z0I.jpg

I had my book club meeting last night, so we had appetizers. I brought a block of Neufchatel cheese, jar of my homemade cherry chutney and some Club crackers. We had a great time.

Back
Top Bottom