Time to eat 8/7/2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
So what is planned for tonight. For me, a burger made with the meat we ground up previously. I can't wait. Lettuce and tomato on it. Fresh Italian artisan bread. :angel:

When you are on a diet, it seems like all the time is time to eat:). But it is not.:mad:

My sister FINALLY left for two weeks so I raided her garden this am. Found some more tomatoes and really long green beans. She has some English cucks but I don't know how to tell when they will be ready.

Will grill some burgers to eat with the tomatoes, fresh lettuce and red onion, probably a green chili too. And a salad.

Going to make another batch of pork steaks with gravy and rice.
What I made last night is gone, gone, gone. :ohmy:
They at least did the dishes.No complaints here.

Kay spent the night "babysitting" me again as I had another couple of small spells so we ordered Chinese food. There are a ton of leftovers so that is what she, TB and I will have today.

Oh No, LP! I hope you are able to figure out how to make them stop!

I was going to be Jamaican seasoned pork tenderloin. The spice bag suggests marinating overnight. :huh: Not a tenderloin! Instead, I'll make a wet rub, using only lime and orange zest instead of the juices with the spices and oil, wrap it, and let it go overnight. I guess tonight it will be hot dogs on the grill, maybe potato salad, and the every-present baked beans.

Maybe it's about time I posted my dinner plans in the "This, or That" thread...:ermm:

...She has some English cucks but I don't know how to tell when they will be ready...
Whenever you want them?!!? :LOL: If they're small, consider them the pricey "petite vegetables" that some stores sell. Smaller cuke, bigger price. :D

I was not up to re-doing the pie failure today so I went out and bought a couple of pieces of fish for dinner. Haddock for SO and salmon for me. A tossed salad and pasta salad will complete the meal.

Oh No, LP! I hope you are able to figure out how to make them stop!

Whenever you want them?!!? :LOL: If they're small, consider them the pricey "petite vegetables" that some stores sell. Smaller cuke, bigger price. :D

What confused me was she left me one on the counter and it is a very pale green. I googled some and what she is growing is not English cukes, as she called them, but Armenian cukes, which are different.

Major change in dinner plans. We will be eating at the very good restaurant/bar/dance venue where we had plans to dance. tonight. Just got up from a nap and haven't looked at their menu yet.

crab cakes, potato salad, steamed zuke wedges.

DW came up with a cab cake recipe including mayo. NO, never again. I say that every time I'm forced into the mayo bit. don't do it. just say NO.

a lb of Smithfield Island Chesapeake crab hand picked - jumbo lump ($19.50 - not too bad!)

the mayo put little goopy slime spots throughout.
that's it.

I think I won't . . .
I think I won't . . .
I think I won't . . .

I'll be doing something with leftover tri tip. I'll probably end up with sliced tri tip on a toasted onion bun with a side salad....or maybe roasted sweet potato wedges instead of the salad. Decisions....:wacko: :LOL:

I thawed some ground beef that I had cooked with onion, red and green bell peppers and garlic and made a sloppy Joe sauce from a combination of recipes online. I'll slice up some cucumber, celery and tomato for a side.

We ordered takeout pizza from a local (very popular) Italian place. The crust was nice and thin, and the toppings were great.

Bummer about the crab cakes, dcsaute.

Both Stirling and I are feeling a bit "under the weather". I'm not even sure what will agree with us. I'm nuking some taters now to make twice baked potatoes.

taxy, I hope you two feel better soon.

Ended up adding to the menu. I had forgotten about a couple ears of corn in the fridge, so I used them up, along with the last of my grape tomatoes, in a new recipe: Pan-Roasted Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Feta.

...I googled some and what she is growing is not English cukes, as she called them, but Armenian cukes, which are different...
Never heard of Armenian cukes, beth. English and Persian, along with the standard and pickling cukes, but not those. I'm interested if it tastes any different.

I prefer the pickling size, or Persian if they're on sale. That way I can use up one or two and not leave any behind like usually do with a big English one.

I'll be doing something with leftover tri tip. I'll probably end up with sliced tri tip on a toasted onion bun with a side salad....or maybe roasted sweet potato wedges instead of the salad. Decisions....:wacko: :LOL:

I went with the roasted sweet potatoes, sprinkled with Penzey's cinnamon. It was delicious. :yum: Just barely enough tri tip left for another sandwich tomorrow.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 136
We had good ole taco's the way Mama taught me. :yum:

No hard pre made taco shells in this house.
Sounds yummy.

IIRC, you toast soft, corn tortillas for tacos. I just bought some frozen, soft, corn tortillas at the health food store. Do you mind refreshing my memory of how to make those into taco shells?

Sounds yummy.

IIRC, you toast soft, corn tortillas for tacos. I just bought some frozen, soft, corn tortillas at the health food store. Do you mind refreshing my memory of how to make those into taco shells?

Taxi, here's a post that I made to Pac a long time ago when he asked me the same question...

"Ok pacanis, here's how Mama did the corn tortillas for taco's. Have all your taco fixin's ready to go. I buy the super size corn tortillas.
In your largest skillet, pour in about an inch of veg. oil, and get it hot on med heat. With tongs, lay a tortilla into the oil just to wet it, and quickly turn it over, wetting the other side. Quickly flop one side over the other forming the "taco" shape. Lightly fry on each side. I can get three of them into my largest skillet, with round edges facing outward. Don't cook them too much because the seam will crack if you do. Drain them on paper towels, and fill all three of them with all the fixin's, then begin on the next three. They must be eaten right away, so while hubby is eating, I cook mine. It takes some practice to do this, but it is SOOOOOOO worth it. I repeat, those hard boxed shells are nasty. :rolleyes: ;)
Let me know if you try it......you won't be sorry. "

Taxy, K's method for corn tortilla tacos is a good way - I do that too. No cardboard store bought formed shells here, either. :sick:

You could also use flour tortillas and make soft tacos by putting a few flour tortillas between a couple of damp paper towels and warming them in the microwave for a few seconds until pliable, then fill. Just another option. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom