To the Rachel Ray and Emeril bashers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
ahem, out grow. out grow spongebob. :rolleyes:

i don't wanna know what grows out of spongebob.

When I first saw Spongebob I thought he was cheese!! Now I know better, I wouldn't want him in my lasagna... (like they did in the film "Just like heaven":LOL: )

I have to agree with so many of you that some of the TV chefs are just plain phony and annoying.
Giada's recipes are fantastic, never had a bad one but that everlasting open mouthed smile of hers drives me nuts. A friend of mine met her and asked how she could stay so thin eating that great food. She replied that she never eats a whole meal, she justs tastes it. Well to **** with that!!! I'm eatin'.
Rachel Ray and her incessant nervous giggling is another pain in my side. Not everything is funny and NOBODY is that happy all the time.
Emeril? Well I agree that the earlier show (Essence of Emeril) was calmer and more to the point, but he did look uncomfortable and those half-sentences where he would start to tell you what the was doing or what the next step is and then stop, used to make me crazy. The band is so out of place on his Live show I wonder why he needs to fill time with them. I record his show on DVR ifI see something I want to make and fast forward the band stuff.
And Paula Deen. Geez that god-awful southern accent is just too exaggerated to be true and grinds on my nerves. I never met a southerner that talked like that. Are all of her recipes loaded with heavy cream and butter? It's wonder she's still alive. Four sticks of butter for a recipe that serves 6 people is just waaaaay too much butter.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!

I agree that Giada's beautiful, vagriller, but have you seen her mother? She's drop-dead gorgeous.
Drama Queen, some people really do talk that way...you should have heard my aunt from Kentucky. I do agree that Paula gets awfully heavy on the butter, though.

I agree that Giada is drop dead gorgeous (man, what I'd give to have a body like hers!). I know Rachel has got a laugh, but I would listen to hers over Paula Deen's any ole day. As much as I love watching Paula's show, her laugh just grates on my nerves.

And Paula Deen. Geez that god-awful southern accent is just too exaggerated to be true and grinds on my nerves. I never met a southerner that talked like that.

Then you don't want to hear me talk. Since I'm from NC and I've met quiet a few southerners who do talk just like that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though. Me I just watch the shows I enjoy and forget about the rest. I was taught if you can't say something good then don't say anything at all. That's just me though. I do enjoy most of the food network shows. To each his own.

Just a gentle reminder here, to everyone... let's not attack the personality etc. of the chefs, the way they talk or giggle, hot/not, are highly subjective issues and everyone has their likes and dislikes... here, let's stick to the discussion about the quality of the cooking shows... thanks!!:)

I've been to Georgia, and some folks in the south make Paula Deen sound like a yankee! Some people in south Georgia consider everyone north of and including Atlanta yankees.

urmaniac13 said:
Just a gentle reminder here, to everyone... let's not attack the personality etc. of the chefs, the way they talk or giggle, hot/not, are highly subjective issues and everyone has their likes and dislikes... here, let's stick to the discussion about the quality of the cooking shows... thanks!!:)

Where are we to talk about these things? At www.discusscookinghotties.com?

I agree with many who find Emeril just too loud -- but face it, he and Rachel are getting young people interested in cooking. I have the option of turning off the TV and do so (for Emeril -- just too much noise). MY husband finds Rachel's giggle very annoying, but I will say that I don't know if the concepts are hers, or if she's just the "talking head", but her show comes up with some interesting ideas. Even if it is just using a bowl for your food "garbage" (I don't have a garbage disposal, and this really works for me), and I like her travel-on-a-budget shows (I subscribe to Gourmet and Saveur, but Rachel's show had the very best way to eat on the road -- trust me, I've travelled a lot in my life, and never with the unlimited budget some seem to have, and not with tours). She usually includes a drink. Yeah, so the giggle is annoying. Mostly, though, these two people get the next generation to actually pay attention to food rather than living off of Pizza Hut and McDonalds.

I have to laugh ... I don't watch Paula for two reasons. #1 is that if I want southern food, I don't cook it. I don't like to fry (a procedure thing, not because I don't like fried food), and (#2) simply only need to eat southern cuisine a couple times a year. When I do, I have a southern friend who does it for us! But what really made me laugh is that hubby and I are expecting a visit from one of our southern friends, and we were just joking that a southern accent is almost impossible NOT to pick up when you're exposed to it. One thing to remember: If you're travelling in the south, remember that if you order "Ice Tea" you'd better darned well order it unsweetened or your cavities will fall out of your mouth it will be so sweet! Oh, and when it comes to cocktails, "branch" is simply good water that goes with bourbon!

Last edited:
Claire said:
Mostly, though, these two people get the next generation to actually pay attention to food rather than living off of Pizza Hut and McDonalds.

That is my point! That's an awesome thing I think.

C'mon, you folks who are annoyed with people's accents..........

I love the regional variations in the way folks pronounce their vowels and consonants. Yeah, some of the TV personalities ham it up a little, but so what? Wouldn't it be boring if we all talked like Katie Couric or Alton Brown?

Give me a regional dialect any old day - they are fast disappearing. I'll eventually figure out what you're sayin'. What I want to know is, what are you gonna feed me?

Though I don't learn a lot from the shows, sometimes I see an interesting trick, or technique that I haven't seen before. Or maybe it will be a new way of looking at a familiar food that catches my eye. I have to admit that watching Iron Chef America has inspired me to try new things. Some of the dishes sound terrible, while others create an epiphany.

It's true that I have heard Emirill say things that are just plain wrong. And the same is true of Alton Brown. But most of the time, they do a pretty good job.

But you know, there are very few educators who haven't been caught in error at one time or another, and it doesn't matter whether you're looking at mathemeticians, physicists, music teachers, or chef's. We are all human and all make the occasional mistake. In my mind, what makes a great cook great is that he/she will learn the vast kowledge considered as "basic" and expand, trying things new and interesting, always searching for something better. If that weren't the case, how would sausage ever have been discovered, or some of the fine cheeses? And the person who first created the cheesecake, well that's worthy of a Nobel Peace prize in my book.

So give the TV chef's their due. And if you really want to find out what
Emerill is about, read one of his first couple of cookbooks. The man is truly passionate about cooking. And though his isn't one of my favorite cooking shows, I tip my hat to his courage to have taken the chance in front of a live audience, and teach others something about the cullinary arts.

I don't know about you, but I make enough mistakes in the kitchen that any show I would host would have to be a comedy of cooking errors:ROFLMAO: . Well, I am exagerating. My family eats very well. But you get the point.

Oh, and as for Bobby Flay, when I first viewed his shows, he came off as cocky, arrogant, and he annoyed me. But I decided to give his show a chance, and soon found that I liked the guy. He is loud, and boisterous, but shows a genuine freidship to all he works with (at least that's how he comes accross to me now). I'd like to have a "throwdown" with him. I htink it would be a hoot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I don't know about you, but I make enough mistakes in the kitchen that any show I would host would have to be a comedy of cooking errors:ROFLMAO: . Well, I am exagerating. My family eats very well. But you get the point.

I would love to do a cooking show! It would be more like Home Improvement with Tim Allen than Mario Batali. I would do things like hook up a chainsaw motor to a hand mixer, or a lawn mower engine to a food processor.

Food Network new show featuring Roger Brown(that's me):

Cooking with Horsepower!

mudbug said:
C'mon, you folks who are annoyed with people's accents..........

Give me a regional dialect any old day - they are fast disappearing. I'll eventually figure out what you're sayin'. What I want to know is, what are you gonna feed me?

Some of us just have local accents.... but I swear... when I hear that people really believe that 'Scotty' from Star Trek or Groundkeeper Willie from The Simpsons are really speaking with Scottish accents..........:rolleyes: I have a very soft, Edinburgh accent - and yet even in my small country there are massive regional differences in accents and dialect. Mind you, it's not us that talk funny, it's the foreigners from say, Glasgow. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom