Today's menu, 4th October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katy, we have a lot of Indian restaurants over here. There are three not far from my house. Have you not been to the US before? Other than minor differences in the language and the fact that we drive on the right side of the road, our two countries aren't all that different. You might be surprised.

Dinner tonight was broiled salmon with honey mustard glaze and potatoes au gratin.

Yes, I have been to America three times. First to New York City, (as a tourist), and then twice to Tucson (as a guest).

I didn't encounter any Indian food!

But then I wasn't looking for it. (We are awash with it here in Britain as I am sure you know.) I wanted to encounter "American" food. (With all the cultural influences that implies.)

Unfortunately, my hostess is not a foodie (but is a genuinely lovely person and a very good friend) , so I confined myself to her tastes. I did find it fascinating wandering around her local supermarket! (I have never seen so much variety in coffee - including blending your own!) On the other hand, the cheese and meat/poultry sections.... well.... er... shocking is all I can say.

Yes, I have been to America three times. First to New York City, (as a tourist), and then twice to Tucson (as a guest).

I didn't encounter any Indian food!

But then I wasn't looking for it. (We are awash with it here in Britain as I am sure you know.) I wanted to encounter "American" food. (With all the cultural influences that implies.)

Unfortunately, my hostess is not a foodie (but is a genuinely lovely person and a very good friend) , so I confined myself to her tastes. I did find it fascinating wandering around her local supermarket! (I have never seen so much variety in coffee - including blending your own!) On the other hand, the cheese and meat/poultry sections.... well.... er... shocking is all I can say.

I should add that after visiting the USA, I got myself a little desktop percolator and only drink "proper" coffee now... (I had been perfectly okay with "instant" before that) :wub:

Grilled cheese sandwich.... :yum:

And what sort of cheese? (Have I mentioned how much I love cheese?) :LOL:
Depends on my mood. Didn't make one tonight but I will use: American cheese (I buy a "stiffer" type in the deli department, but they are similar to Kraft Singles) if I want tomato or bread-and-butter pickles; Fontina or Jarlsberg with fresh mushroom slices; cheddar or gouda with thin apple slices on wheat bread.

Half the time I make a lazy grilled cheese: toast the bread, put the cheese on it, pop the sandwich into the microwave long enough to melt the cheese, then pop back into the toaster oven long enough to recrisp the toast. Not as yummy as grilling it in a puddle of butter, but quicker and probably a little bit healthier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom