Trader Joe's Thai Peanut Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Over the years, I've truly enjoyed a number of Trader Joe's "simmer sauces", even if I did have to spice them up to my particular heat level.

Last night I tossed a pound of linguini with Trader Joe's Thai Peanut Sauce & was disappointed. Way, way, way too much "star anise" in the mix. I even added about 1/2 a cup of peanut butter & still couldn't cut all that anise taste.

If you're a REAL star anise fan, you might enjoy this. If not, steer clear.

Here ya go. Thai peanut sauce with NO five spice whatsoever.

PEANUT SESAME NOODLES

3 Tbs lite soy sauce
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
5 dried red pepper pods
2 tsp Turbinado sugar
1/2 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts, finely crushed
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 pkg lo mein noodles
chopped scallions and julienned cucumber for garnish

Run the peanuts through a food processor or blender until finely crushed. In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, pepper pods, sugar, peanut butter, sesame oil, ginger and broth. Simmer the mixture, stirring, until it is
thickened and smooth, then let it cool slightly. Remove the pepper pods.

Cook the lo mein noodles in boiling water until they are al dente, drain, and rinse with cold water. Drain again, then transfer to a large bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve at room temperature, garnished with the scallion and cucumber.

Caine said:

PEANUT SESAME NOODLES

3 Tbs lite soy sauce
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
5 dried red pepper pods
2 tsp Turbinado sugar
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 pkg lo mein noodles

Run the peanuts through a food processor or blender until finely crushed. In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, pepper pods, sugar, peanut butter, sesame oil, ginger and broth. Simmer the mixture, stirring, until it is

Cook the lo mein noodles in boiling water until they are al dente, drain, and rinse with cold water. Drain again, then transfer to a large bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve at room temperature, garnished with the scallion and cucumber.

Hey Caine, can you come up with a replica of Crustaseans garlic noodles? I'd love ya a ton if you could post one here for all of us:-p

LEFSElover said:
Hey Caine, can you come up with a replica of Crustaseans garlic noodles? I'd love ya a ton if you could post one here for all of us:-p

The San Francisco version, or the Bevery Hills version?

Caine said:

PEANUT SESAME NOODLES

3 Tbs lite soy sauce
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
5 dried red pepper pods
2 tsp Turbinado sugar
1 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 pkg lo mein noodles

sounds good!
thx for the recipe!

I personally like House of Tsang Bangkok Padang peanut sauce. I've bought others and made peanut sauces from scratch, but go back to this one over and over. It is good as a salad dressing (I add the juice of a lime and a touch of vinegar for this purpose), in stir fries, and of course on satay.

Back
Top Bottom