Tuesday 01.17.12 What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inspired by msmofet's Sunday dinner, I'm making baked ziti (with lots of cheese).

I'm such a copy cat ;-)

Nothing wrong with getting good ideas here. msmofet always has good looking dishes.
Thank you so much for the kind words. And I am glad I inspired you Deb. Enjoy your baked ziti. I used Barilla mini penne because I like the pointy ends and grooved quills.

Imitation is the sincerest form of a compliment.

Wow, on a wood stove?... cool! :chef:

I love cabbage rolls. My family makes Kaldolmar, but it doesn't have a tomato-based sauce. If I had cabbage, I could make that tonight.

I'm not sure what I'm making. I think it's going to be beef patties with mashed potatoes and gravy with a veggie in the side.

I usually hate cabbage rolls. Thank you for reminding me about kåldolmar. I remember eating those in Sweden in my grandmother's home. I liked them. I just checked some recipes on my Danish cooking site and they are only a little different from cabbage roll recipes I have seen in N.A. I wonder if it is enough to make a difference. One day when I have something else ready to serve if I hate them, I will have to give those a try.

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember my my mum making them a few times and I didn't hate them or I would remember it better.

I usually hate cabbage rolls. Thank you for reminding me about kåldolmar. I remember eating those in Sweden in my grandmother's home. I liked them. I just checked some recipes on my Danish cooking site and they are only a little different from cabbage roll recipes I have seen in N.A. I wonder if it is enough to make a difference. One day when I have something else ready to serve if I hate them, I will have to give those a try.

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember my my mum making them a few times and I didn't hate them or I would remember it better.
My grandma's cabbage rolls did not contain tomatoes. Ground pork, ground beef, cloves, cinnamon, rice, and then the sauce was kinda a thinnish white gravy (of course) flavored with nutmeg. I've emailed a friend who lives in Sweden and likes to cook. His grandma made the BEST limpa bread. I remember he liked to make stuffed peppers, hoping kåldolmar is also on his agenda--I want to know how he makes his sauce.
http://www.justfoodnow.com/2009/11/05/kaldolmar-cabbage-rolls/

Last edited:

My Grandma always made them, but they didn't have a tomato sauce. She cooked the cabbage rolls (made with beef and sausage) in the oven and made gravy from the pan drippings.

My grandma's cabbage rolls did not contain tomatoes. Ground pork, ground beef, cloves, cinnamon, rice, and then the sauce was kinda a thinnish white gravy (of course) flavored with nutmeg. I've emailed a friend who lives in Sweden and likes to cook. His grandma made the BEST limpa bread. I remember he liked to make stuffed peppers, hoping kåldolmar is also on his agenda--I want to know how he makes his sauce.
Ohhhh.. you are bringing back memories! That bread is so GOOD!

Well it was going to be taco tuesday, but seeing as how a friend came into the city and laid a dozen farm eggs on me this afternoon, I am now making an ad-lib Huevos Rancheros. A little leftover chili on the side with cheese melted on tortillas topped with over easy eggs and sliced jalapenos, parsley instead of cilantro and jarred thick salsa over everything. A dollop of sour cream. And I have Bacon.

I roasted some eggplant slices and placed them in a cassarole dish.I then layered that with sausage bechamel,mozzerella,sauteed spinach. I made 2 layers then topped with crushed tomatoes. I'll post in recipe section if it comes out noteworthy.

Eggplant moussalagna?

I roasted some eggplant slices and placed them in a cassarole dish.I then layered that with sausage bechamel,mozzerella,sauteed spinach. I made 2 layers then topped with crushed tomatoes. I'll post in recipe section if it comes out noteworthy.

Eggplant moussalagna?

Please do, sounds like my kind of meal. :)

I haven't had a thing to eat all day, and I am hungry, so supper will be quick and easy. Gorton's breaded fish fillets, tater-tots, and corn on the cob. :yum:

Still fighting the cold and don't feel like eating. Put the leftover pizza in the toaster oven. Have some chili that can be reheated. Not sure which I'll attempt to eat.

jabbur said:
Still fighting the cold and don't feel like eating. Put the leftover pizza in the toaster oven. Have some chili that can be reheated. Not sure which I'll attempt to eat.

Feel better, Jabbur!

Back
Top Bottom