"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Tuesday, January 25, 2022 Dinner Thread

I'm cold. We're having cauliflower soup with a little bit of cheese and a of cayenne pepper. I think we'll each have a Griddler ham-and-cheese sandwich on sourdough bread, too. Not at the same time, though - we'll probably eat two well-spaced courses.

What's cookin' at your place?

In the end, only kindness matters" ~ from the song "Hands" by Jewel
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My wife made turkey meataballs, penne,,and garlic bread.

My job was to grate a big wedge of parmesan.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tonight's supper was a new-to-me recipe. Jægerkylling, Danish for hunter's chicken. It's not quite chicken cacciatore, but closely related. It was pretty good. It has real potential. I'll have to figure out how to deal with the amount of sauce the recipe makes. There was far too much, even after I reduced it. That sauce is really good. I served it with brown basmati rice and a salad of Boston lettuce, young rainbow chard, sunchoke, red onion, corn, peas, and homemade vinaigrette. The chicken dish was what I made last night, after supper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jægerkylling, brown basmati rice, salad.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	50843

Name:	Jægerkylling, brown basmati rice, salad 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	50844
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

So tonight was an air fryer experiment night. SO took charge and decided to make chicken satay skewers and french fries. I marinated the chicken and made the peanut sauce. SO cooked the chicken and fries in the AF.

Sadly it was a comedy of errors. While I was making the peanut dipping sauce, I used bottled lime juice in a pinch, the pour top came off the bottle and dumped into the mix. I tried to salvage the sauce by adding more of the other ingredients.

Meanwhile, SO pulled the AF drawer out a bit to stop it cooking so she could check its doneness. When she turned away to grab the thermometer it slid off and dumped the contents onto the floor.

Theres still some work to be done here.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Lol, Andy. Sorry about those gremlins in your dinner plans. I paid David Ortiz to send them, but not necessarily tonight.

I'm curious, though, as to why you would AF satay skewers. Were they breaded?

I make chook satay fairly often, and to me, it should be grilled or griddled. Is frying chicken skewers a common thing?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:10 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Over the past two years SO has spent a fair amount of time in FL caring for her sister. During that time she was exposed to her daughter's air fryer and really liked it. He son is also a fan.

She talked up the AF and wanted me to get one. I wasn't interested. Despite that, her son gave me one for Christmas. As a result she's more into it than I.

She is trying different recipes to sell me on the AF. She even bought a wire rack with four skewers to use in the AF.

To answer your question, I would have grilled the chicken skewers.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Simpatico in finem.

Were you able to rescue a meal out of it?
Old 01-26-2022, 12:05 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I had another brawnshweiger sandwich on that rye bread, and as the salad, I made something with the last two, small heads of cabbage I harvested a few weeks ago. Had some bad spots I had to trim out, but still got over 6 c of shreds. I made some of this sauce I use for a favorite Asian slaw, that is lime juice based, with some Thai curry paste, that I make with napa usually, and usually when I have chives or garlic chives, but it's too cold now! So I stole a trick from some Mexican dishes, in which I pickle some onions for a few hours, which gets rid of the raw taste. Some shredded carrots, sesame seeds, cilantro, chopped peanuts, and some black quinoa are also added. Tomorrow, I'll see if Aldi's has any good bell peppers - something in the original recipe, but I am out of, though it's still delicious.
Dressing for the gingered Asian slaw. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Asian slaw, before adding the dressing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2022, 03:59 AM   #9
Master Chef

Cauliflower fried rice without the rice.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:00 AM   #10
Master Chef

We had BLT's and mac salad.

Banana pudding was dessert.

Ross
Old 01-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Simpatico in finem.

Were you able to rescue a meal out of it?
Yes. The chicken was salvageable and we had (air)fries and a veggie.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Store-bought pre-breaded fish sandwich and onion rings in the air fryer with homemade tartar sauce and a salad with cucumber, mango, red bell pepper and Bulgarian white cheese (similar to feta but less salty - I get this when the Mediterranean store is out of feta). I drizzled the salad with Gravenstein apple white balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Name:	20220125_194253.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	50853
Old 01-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Tonight's supper was a new-to-me recipe. Jægerkylling, Danish for hunter's chicken. It's not quite chicken cacciatore, but closely related. It was pretty good. It has real potential. I'll have to figure out how to deal with the amount of sauce the recipe makes. There was far too much, even after I reduced it. That sauce is really good. I served it with brown basmati rice and a salad of Boston lettuce, young rainbow chard, sunchoke, red onion, corn, peas, and homemade vinaigrette. The chicken dish was what I made last night, after supper.

Attachment 50843

Attachment 50844
Can you please describe what ingredients are used and how it's made? I did a search but nothing came up.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Can you please describe what ingredients are used and how it's made? I did a search but nothing came up.
Sure. I'm working on an English translation for a friend.

The recipes ingredients are: chicken, EVOO, bacon, garlic, onion, chicken stock, dry white wine, mushrooms, peeled and de-seeded tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper. I used dry vermouth - I didn't want to open a bottle of wine. I didn't include the 'shrooms. Everything but the 'shrooms, tomatoes, parsley, and liquids is sautéed. The rest goes in the pot with the sautéed ingredients and the liquids are added. It gets simmered for five quarters of an hour to an hour and a half. I misunderstood something in the recipe, so I added extra chicken stock. I eventually figured out what they meant, so I will describe it carefully, when I write it up in English.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, tl.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:26 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I had another brawnshweiger sandwich on that rye bread, and as the salad, I made something with the last two, small heads of cabbage I harvested a few weeks ago. Had some bad spots I had to trim out, but still got over 6 c of shreds. I made some of this sauce I use for a favorite Asian slaw, that is lime juice based, with some Thai curry paste, that I make with napa usually, and usually when I have chives or garlic chives, but it's too cold now! So I stole a trick from some Mexican dishes, in which I pickle some onions for a few hours, which gets rid of the raw taste. Some shredded carrots, sesame seeds, cilantro, chopped peanuts, and some black quinoa are also added. Tomorrow, I'll see if Aldi's has any good bell peppers - something in the original recipe, but I am out of, though it's still delicious.
Dressing for the gingered Asian slaw. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Asian slaw, before adding the dressing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Saves all around. Speaking of saves, has Rock the goalie been around. I kept in touch with him over the past few years, but since I've eliminated most social media platforms, I've been unable to reach him.

Damn, pepp, that Asian slaw looks good.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Saves all around. Speaking of saves, has Rock the goalie been around. I kept in touch with him over the past few years, but since I've eliminated most social media platforms, I've been unable to reach him.

Damn, pepp, that Asian slaw looks good.
I followed his deli on Facebook, but he closed it down and was going to start up something else. That was a few months ago and I haven't heard a peep since then. I just sent him a PM. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I wrote up the recipe on Copy Me That. Here it is: https://www.copymethat.com/r/ZvPLIhT...nters-chicken/
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I followed his deli on Facebook, but he closed it down and was going to start up something else. That was a few months ago and I haven't heard a peep since then. I just sent him a PM. Thanks for the reminder.
Rock opened up a new deli closer to his home called Raglan Street Foods.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Rock opened up a new deli closer to his home called Raglan Street Foods.
Is this the correct page?

https://www.facebook.com/raglanstreetfoods/

Ross

Tags
dinner