Tuesday menu-May 19th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went freezer diving this morning and found some more sausage, spinach, and parmesan stuffed shells from a month or two ago. :yum: They're thawing now, and I'll top them with marinara sauce and shredded moz. Steamed asparagus on the side.

We need to finish up the sloppy joe stuff, along with the green beans from last summer.

Tonight we are having Bratwurst with caramelized onions with sautéed fresh Campari tomato slices, and a salad of mixed greens with vinaigrette dressing.

I've been craving Bratwurst for awhile now and I'm very excited. :yum:

Cool this afternoon so I made a big pan of roasted vegetables.

The mixture included eggplant, onions, green bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic and zucchini.

I took some of the roasted vegetables and tossed them with a cup of tomato sauce and a leftover BSCB that I cut into chunks, topped it with some cheese and baked it until everything was bubbly.

Not sure if it was a casserole or a hot dish :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hot today ;) so I'm making curried chicken salad with apples and raisins with a couple of chicken breasts we grilled last weekend. We'll also have the couscous with grilled veggies and vinaigrette on the side; DH can finish up the cole slaw if he wants it.

I had a veggie burger on top of a romaine lettuce salad. Tomorrow is photoshoot day, so I try to eat light on Tuesdays. Two pork tenderloin recipes + sides, a stuffed turkey breast (stuffed with leeks and rhubarb), pickerel and asparagus. Nothing tomorrow night, but leftovers for sure on Thursday.

I had a veggie burger on top of a romaine lettuce salad. Tomorrow is photoshoot day, so I try to eat light on Tuesdays. Two pork tenderloin recipes + sides, a stuffed turkey breast (stuffed with leeks and rhubarb), pickerel and asparagus. Nothing tomorrow night, but leftovers for sure on Thursday.

I'm curious who eats all the massive amounts of food for all of these photo shoots? Is there any way those of us here can see these professional photo's?

Last edited:
Re-purposed the last of the turkey breast and turned it into a half-recipe worth of this: Mushroom Turkey Tetrazini. Nowhere near as creamy as the picture; next time I'll increase liquids by 50% and go from there.

Made a garden salad to go with. Now I'm enjoying a liberal amount of red wine. I NEED an alcohol rubdown after today, and figured I'd work from the inside out. :-p

I'm curious who eats all the massive amounts of food for all of these photo shoots? Is there any way those of us here can see these professional photo's?
There are three of us in the kitchen. If it is gluten free, I leave a plate in the fridge for the owner so he can taste the recipe. If it is not gluten free and the recipe gets a fail (that happens, but usually I have already flagged that), I'll leave a taste of that for him as well.

We have to taste everything (I literally get a bite of each main and then taste each side because I've got all four recipes on the go at once, I don't have time to stop and eat). The other two usually eat all of one of the mains and sides, and then there are the leftovers. I do four recipes, including the sides, to serve two, we plate one of each for the photos, and then there is the other serving. We are also checking portion size to make sure it is sufficient. I spend about $120 / week for the groceries for photo shoot days.

Why it takes two to do the photography and I'm chief bottle washer, kitchen helper, and play Chef, I have no idea. I could use s/one to take over as chief bottle washer. There are so many dishes because of all the mise en place shots and each step has to be shot. Even doing dishes on the fly whenever I can, it still takes 2 hours to do all the darned dishes
(3-way sink, no dishwasher...)

We had Rick Bayless's spaghetti squash "fideos" with chorizo and avocado that was linked in the what to do with chorizo recipe by GG. Since the package of chorizo was 1 pound and the recipe only called for 1/2, we used the rest to make the chorizo pick-ups with muenster cheese and tortillas.

Rick's recipe was pretty good. The chipotle really stood out though and we didn't have the whole tablespoon of liquid called for (didn't realize we were that low on what we keep in fridge). So, I'd probably use a little less next time and maybe add some chopped onion in there before the garlic goes into the pan. I'd definitely use the cilantro he suggests as optional garnish as well. Ours had gone bad and we didn't realize it until we pulled the bag covering it off.

And the recipe is really enough for 6 even though you wouldn't think so with just 1 s. squash and 1/2 pound of chorizo. I was stuffed and couldn't finish my plate.

For Larry, if you want to try something like this, he gives an alternative vegetarian recipe using zucchini or summer squash diced, sautéed and browned a bit instead of the chorizo. I think I'd add some of the seasonings that go into chorizo though personally.

I did 'Lahma bi Ajeen', a Middle Eastern spicy meat pizza with tabouleh. I love doing Middle Eastern dishes, especially houmous and falafel, which I often make because my husband and I both love it.

Tonight I feel like doing Moroccan chicken and chickpea tagine with a Romaine lettuce and orange and cinnamon salad.

Tomorrow I'll probably come back to Italy and do braised Ligurian rabbit.

di reston

I did 'Lahma bi Ajeen', a Middle Eastern spicy meat pizza with tabouleh...

Sounds good di reston. I have made the Armenian version, lamajun (lahmachun). It's a lot of work but worth it. Fond memories of my childhood. Fortunately, there are markets nearby that cater to the Armenian population here so I can buy lamajun.

Mmmm....I've been kind of in a cooking rut, and there is so much inspiration here...:yum:

I bought some kale and half and half to make a batch of Zuppa Toscana, before it gets too hot here. Craving JoAnn's scalloped potato with ham casserole now, too.

Turkey tettrazini, and brats with caramelized onions are calling my name now too, among others...:ohmy::yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom