Tuesday Sept. 1 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Going down for a nap right now:). Plan on the peach cobbler, chicken enchilada's with guacamole and sour cream later on in the day.

What's happening at your place? Food wise.

Crab salad (using lettuce) and a dressing from Paul Prudhomme maybe. It uses tomato sauce plus a bunch of other things. I'll make it, let it sit for a while, then taste and decide if that's what we'll be using. Crab is leftovers from some Dungeness crabs we had a while back, just couldn't finish it all so froze.

Friend gifted a good size bag of garden tomatoes, several varieties.

Tonight is a BLT and what I've been waiting to make all summer for just the right/ garden ingredients-- Tabbouleh.

Ham steak ( coated with a mixture of butter and brown sugar glaze). Tater tots and some corn. Grandson had some Oreo Thins with milk for dessert.

I tried out a recipe that didn't work for duck legs. It looked promising, having zest of orange and lemon, grated root ginger and honey. However, the cooking times were woefully inadequate!

It said to saute the legs 6 mins each side then to bake them (with the concoction) for 30 mins @ Mk. 5. They were cooked through but very tough...needed much longer but the timing of the accompanying chips and mangetout were ready so I ate it like that.

I had a flour tortilla spread with cream cheese, thin sliced deli ham, chopped cucumbers, tomato, and baby spinach, rolled up and cut into pretty little pinwheel slices. :) I was going to add sliced avocado, but it had gone bad and I had to throw it out. Watermelon and a peach on the side. Nice and cool and easy.

Chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone for dessert a little later on. :yum:

Ground beef taco salad tonight from the leftovers from last night. I'll add some corn and diced bell peppers along with some sliced black olives and dress it all with a mixture of Catalina and Ranch dressing. Some mugs of Von's Tomato Basil Bisque will be on the side.

Well, too much green onion for the dressing and too spicy, tobasco (but I used Sriracha cause that's what we had) and cayenne. Craig seemed to like it but it was a fail for me. The name of it was Hazel Dressing in one of Paul Prudhomme's cookbooks. I'm burping green onion even after a cream puff swan and LOTs of San Pellegrino. Craig surprised me with the results of a visit to our favorite Italian market, deli, bakery.

Last edited:
Breakfast-for-dinner because I forgot to defrost chicken. Omelet had onion, bacon, yellow pepper, mushrooms, and tomato. Smothered and stuffed with Colby-Jack cheese. Home fries and fresh watermelon finished it off.

Think of that omelet as very young chickens...

Breaded venison, green beans & a salad w/ sardines,tomato pepper jack cheese,mushrooms & basil.

img_1434647_0_b093e8b20621626ff8b9d9444bbd9a3f.jpg

img_1434647_1_c90ea0da2d45a94291a6c0e5513af9a8.jpg

img_1434647_2_285e90e0bdfdbc333dc57f16d945add5.jpg

Good looking venison, S&P!

We took a tour of our daughter's new Minneapolis digs tonight, and stopped for a bite to eat. This place is called Spoonriver and is a stone's throw from the new Guthrie Theater, if you're familiar with the city. The meal was great. Although it looks complicated, it was actually very simply prepared. A grilled NY strip, with creamed corn relish, grilled veggies, and nasturtiums (if you've never had them, they taste a little like radishes). I thought it was a very pretty looking plate, so I snapped a photo.

img_1434659_0_81aae6ec1c6f59e795a8aa9622264b59.jpg

Good looking venison, S&P!

We took a tour of our daughter's new Minneapolis digs tonight, and stopped for a bite to eat. This place is called Spoonriver and is a stone's throw from the new Guthrie Theater, if you're familiar with the city. The meal was great. Although it looks complicated, it was actually very simply prepared. A grilled NY strip, with creamed corn relish, grilled veggies, and nasturtiums (if you've never had them, they taste a little like radishes). I thought it was a very pretty looking plate, so I snapped a photo.

img_1434662_0_81aae6ec1c6f59e795a8aa9622264b59.jpg

Now that is a pretty dish!

Going down for a nap right now:). Plan on the peach cobbler, chicken enchilada's with guacamole and sour cream later on in the day.

What's happening at your place? Food wise.

Pretty big changes in my dinner plans. I had numerous interruptions by new neighbors visiting from Maine who are here to hire an architect, and by my pre-existing neighbor with bee stings. I got the peach cobbler baked and the green chile sauce for the enchiladas made but had to ditch the rest of the enchilada prep and made large garden salads instead.

Back
Top Bottom