Utterly Outrageous Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
When I did a search to look for liquor recipe sites for texasgirl I came accross this site called Utterly Outrageous Recipes. I started reading and was astounded, and quite frankly lost my appetite for the next few minutes, by what some people will eat. I'm guilty of eating some strange food, but not quite like this. This is a fun read.

WARNING: If you have a weak stomach I'd stop here:wacko:

I will copy and paste some good ones for those who don't want to link to it, but if you want to take a look at the site, here it is. http://www.lavamind.com/food.html

Scrapple:

1 hog's head
4 to 5 quarts cold water
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons powdered sage
yellow corn meal (about 3 cups)

Separate one hog's head into halves. Remove eyes and brains. Scrape head and clean thoroughly. Place in large kettle and cover with 4-5 quarts of cold water. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat falls from the bones. Skimm grease carefully from the surface; remove meat. chop fine, and turn liquor. Season with salt, pepper, and sage to taste. Sift in corn meal, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of mush. Cook slowly for 1 hour over low heat. When sufficiently cooked, pour into greased oblong pans and store in a cool place until ready to use. Cut in thin slices and fry until crisp and brown. Makes 6 pounds.

Mustard Crunchies

When I was a kid I had a friend that ate mustard on everything: ice cream, jello and other oddities. But the grossest thing was waterbugs... she'd dip um in the mustard and crunch um... yuck! Thats how I remember her name.

Darla Campbell

Chedder Coffee

My friends mom has always been "unique" in general, so it didn't surpise me that she enjoys putting slices of chedder cheese in her morning coffee. When the coffee is gone, she slurps down the glob of melted cheese.

Feather

Banana Worm Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
2 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 eggs
1/4 cup dry-roasted army worms

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients. Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 for about 1 hour.

Rocky Mountain Oysters

My local market, run by Guatemalans, has begun to offer ceviche made from rocky mountain oysters. Thought you'd like to know. I cannot understand what they call it, but they say it's the same as the fish. Raw, cut up in little chucks, soaked in lemon juice and onions and chile powder. This is in Highland Park, CA

Scott Rubel

Rootworm Beetle Dip

Ingredients:
2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 cup reduced calorie mayonnaise
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. dill weed
1 1/2 tsp. Beau Monde
1 cup dry-roasted rootworm beetles

Directions:
Blend first 3 ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and chill.

Bisquick Ick

A really great dish, actually: Make a couple of pancakes with Bisquick or whatever. Put a slice of any cheese in between (make sure it melts well) -- then cover the whole deal with a decent spaghetti sauce.

Like a lot of the stuff on the list, it's really not as weird as it seems.

Dan Mason

Green Stuff

I was raised on this Jell-O salad and my grandmother passed the recipe on to me, however, none of the rest of my family will even touch it. Neither will any of my friends. I love it and make a big bowl of it for myself every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also.. it's my comfort food. My family calls it my "GREEN STUFF" and tells me that it's growing in my refrigerator. :-( Here you go, I hope you like.. you can try it with bologna and jelly sandwiches.. it's GREAT!!!:

JADE CHEESE SALAD

1 Large package of lime Jell-O
2 Cups of hot water
1 Cup of cold water
2 Teaspoons of vinegar
2 Teaspoons of salt
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
2 Cups of cottage cheese
1 Cup of mayonnaise
1 Large can of crushed pineapple

Dissolve Jell-O in hot water. Add cold water and vinegar; stir. Add Cayenne pepper and the salt. Stir til all dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened. Whip with a beater until fluffy and light. Mix in cottage cheese and mayonnaise. Drain pineapple and fold into Jell-O mixture. Chill until firm.

~Julie~

Bloody Leroy Mix

Ingredients:

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup black coffee
3/4 cup beer (Killian's Red preferred)
3/4 cup fruit juice (citrus: orange/pineapple/mango type)
2 tblsp. whiskey
1 tblsp. lemon juice
1 tblsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tblsp. vinegar (red wine garlic preferred)
3 cloves garlic. minced
3 jalepeno peppers, minced
1/4 large onion, minced 1/8 red, 1/8 white preferred)
2 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
2 tblsp. brown sugar
1 tblsp. molasses
1 1/2 tblsp. crushed red pepper
1 cube beef bouillon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 dashes basil
3 dashes oregano
3 dashes savory

Cricket Cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 12-ounce chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and insects, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Someone I knew years ago drank her coffee made on all-milk. She'd wait until a skin formed on top, scoop it off, and then eat it on toast!

Different folks, different strokes! Some people actually eat pumpkin. (Yech)

I don't mind condensed milk on toast!

I went to add on the whale buger, but my eyes must be worse than I thought. Couldn't find it. Sounds just as interesting as most of the others though.

Scrapple is a Pennsylvania Dutch dish that is generally restricted to the Mid-Atlantic region. In fact we can find several different types and brands at our local supermarkets (northern VA).

It is quite good.

When we lived where we could not purchase it commercially, used to make our own with regular pork shoulder and neck bones (hog heads being tough to find around here).

The recipe stated may sound nasty, but if the stated ingredients turn you off, don't ever talk to a commercial sausage/bologna/frankfurter maker. :sick: You'll never eat that stuff again. (Met one once, and even he would not eat his own product).

i've seen scrapple in the stores before, auntdot. i'm from PA so i guess that's normal around here.
i don't think it sounds bad at all. it's just pig's head. i might just buy some.

I spent some time in Bolivia. There are many, many odd dishes served in foreign countries, Bolivia included. One of the strangest in Bolivia is a dish called Rostro Asado (baked face is the translation if I recall correctly)

Here's a quote from a tourism web site, "Rostro Asado, which is a lamb's head baked with the skin".

You typically eat the entire head starting with the eyes, then the meat of the face. The brain is saved till last.

masteraznchefjr said:
wuts wrong with any of those? lol you don't know if its good if you never try it. Try eating bat

I think I could be convinced to try almost anything ONCE... but... NOT BAT. I'm scared to death of them.... alive or dead.

Mr. Dove...

The Greeks make soup out of goat/lamb heads. Eyes, ears, brain... everything.

I've tried it once... once was enough. lol

Back
Top Bottom