Valentine's Day Dinner....what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
It's just me here as usual. :LOL: I've been craving some homemade chicken soup and have lots of veggies to use up, so I'm getting started on that. Chicken thighs just went in to the oven to roast, barley is simmering separately, and I just received my new Penzey's order a couple of days ago which included Turkish bay leaves. Oh my, do those smell good - I think they'll be wonderful in chicken soup.

What's everyone having this evening? Home cooking, or going out?

Last edited:
Nope, not going into the restaurant zoo out there. This morning, some beautiful pink tulips, and a new Ellen West nightgown greeted me with my morning coffee.:heart:
We'll be enjoying a good bottle of wine and doing a shrimp stir fry, along with some Lobster Bisque. http://www.soupsonline.com/p-3759-lobster-bisque-recipe.aspx

Dessert will be a romantic movie on the loveseat.
Cheryl, what was the romantic movie you said you loved? Was it Love Actually? We haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Love Actually is a fun movie! Perfect for tonight :heart:

We're staying in, too. DH went shopping this morning and picked up ingredients for a wonderful surf 'n turf: New York strip steaks (my favorite), scallops and asparagus. I'm also going to make lemon risotto as a delicious base for it all. Quick & easy tiramisu for dessert.

We were visiting the grandbaby this afternoon, and on the way back we stopped off at the market that carries thin sliced veal cutlets. Wife likes veal, so I thought I would make veal piccata for her on Valentine's day. It was on sale - and sold out! Dang!

So it's plan B - salmon filet topped with an olive and tomato white wine sauce, served over angel hair, broc.

Kay, you gave me a great idea, I'm going to try out that lobster bisque recipe! Thanks! I don't have any lobster, but the broth sounds good even without it. I'll have to see if I can dig up some shrimp or scallops.

DH is under the weather with something (his voice is 2 octaves below normal and he has a sore throat), it's been snowing here all day, and we're not going anywhere either.

Last edited:
We don't go out for holidays. I'm making SO's favorite, stuffed flank steak. I've also roasted a butternut squash. Dessert will be an apricot clafoutis.

Kay, you gave me a great idea, I'm going to try out that lobster bisque recipe! Thanks! I don't have any lobster, but the broth sounds good even without it. I'll have to see if I can dig up some shrimp or scallops.

DH is under the weather with something, it's been snowing here all day, and we're not going anywhere either.

Hope he feels better Dawg. I'm looking forward to using that BTB lobster flavor too, it sure sounds easy enough. SC got so excited he went out and bought a small lobster tail, but it's sure not cold here. :LOL:

Last edited:
Ms. Mofets chicken chow mein. It looked good and I have everything on hand except the bok Choy. I do have cabbage to sub though.

Wow, what great sounding menus today! Everyone's dishes sound scrumptious! :yum:

Dawg, I hope the Mr. feels better soon. Something 'throaty' is going around here, too - my daughter and SIL both have it. I'm staying away from them. :ermm::(

If that's the movie I'm thinking of Kay, you and the SC will love it!

Last edited:
Tonight I made a Meatza Pizza with a Mexican twist: chorizo sausage, pepper jack, salami, mushrooms, and jalapenos. Es muy caliente!

img_1455646_0_e691716122d8f481a3169671d4381905.jpg

Nope, not going into the restaurant zoo out there. This morning, some beautiful pink tulips, and a new Ellen West nightgown greeted me with my morning coffee.:heart:
We'll be enjoying a good bottle of wine and doing a shrimp stir fry, along with some Lobster Bisque. http://www.soupsonline.com/p-3759-lobster-bisque-recipe.aspx

Dessert will be a romantic movie on the loveseat.
Cheryl, what was the romantic movie you said you loved? Was it Love Actually? We haven't seen it.

Thinking this bisque is a keeper, Kay. I added finely minced celery, some freeze-dried shallots, and a small can of minced clams with their liquid as no other seafood was to be found. I added the half and half and clams during the simmering instead of during the boiling. It's yummy!

Now I would love a slice of Steve's pizza!

Last edited:
Our Real Estate Broker sent us an Omaha Steak Gift. I had some curtain rods to put up...invited Mom and Dad over to help with the curtain rods (Thanks, Daddy) and we had sirloin steak broiled with salt, pepper and butter, steamed broccolini with lemon-butter sauce, mushrooms, onions and garlic sauteed in butter and strawberries with Girardhelli Dark Chocolate squares.

The perfect Keto meal, Dad loved it and Mom said it was the best meal she'd had in a long time. Shrek loved it too.

I made some pork chops with a soy sauce, fresh garlic, and honey as a glaze.

And I made some rice pilaf. I never made it before. I just heated up some butter, EVOO in a pan with some diced onions, and then I added some garlic, orzo, rice, and chicken stock. Brought it to a boil and let it simmer for half an hour. Came out yummy. Some rice pilaf recipes call for orzo -- some don't.

I don't know if what I made was a real rice pilaf. :)

Last edited:
Dinner was fantastic. The lobster bisque with the Better Than Bullion Lobster was a hit. I also put a 4 ounce lobster tail in the bisque.
For those of you that watch the Today show on NBC in the AM, I had the people at Art Skills who make the posters send me one and I decorated it for Kayelle.

Last edited:
I had planned on making Fr. onion soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Real "holiday" food, eh? :LOL: But as I was going to sleep Saturday night, inspiration hit. After good, old-fashioned tosses salads, we enjoyed a bowtie pasta dish with mushrooms, Kalamata olives, roma tomatoes, and baby spinach in a buttery cooking water sauce. Slivers of Parmesan cheese and fresh basil topped the bowls. I guess it was good, since Himself made yummy noises when he was eating and gave me a big hug-and-dip in the kitchen while I was cleaning up the pan. One of these days we're going to end up on the floor in a heap! :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-02-14 20.49.49.jpg
    2016-02-14 20.49.49.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 127
Filet with Lobster tails, roasted honey parsnips, chocolate Creme Brule, 1 dozen Roses and cards from me, the dogs and the cat and a nice bottle of wine. What a wonderful night with my lovely wife.

Love Actually is a fun movie! Perfect for tonight :heart:

We're staying in, too. DH went shopping this morning and picked up ingredients for a wonderful surf 'n turf: New York strip steaks (my favorite), scallops and asparagus. I'm also going to make lemon risotto as a delicious base for it all. Quick & easy tiramisu for dessert.

Dinner was delicious. The scallops didn't get as brown as I would have liked, but they were quite good.

Attachments

• 1455546424797.jpg
    1455546424797.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 135

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom