Wednesday 8/23/2017 What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't thought about using Italian sausage. I searched for Jeff Smith's recipe and came up with a tomato-based one. Ours was the traditional cream gravy version.

That sounds like immigrant Italian "gravy," which most of us call "sauce" with meat. Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) does have a recipe for Italian Gravy that is online. He may also have a Southern Sausage and Gravy recipe, but I didn't find one in my very brief search. They are two VERY different things.

CD

This is Jeff's recipe for biscuits & gravy... I don't have the original written as I've been making it so long that its burned into my memory..

2 to 3 Italian sausage of choice (I use mild for this)Crumbled out of skin.
2 TBL olive oil
3 TBL flour
1 qt half and half (I use about 3/4th of a quart)
S&P to taste

Warm H&H on stove top
Heat oil and add crumbled sausage. Cook until pink is gone
Add flour and cook a couple of minutes
Add H&H
Bring to light boil and cook to desired viscosity
Add S&P to taste or add when served. I add at the end of cooking.
Serve over biscuits of choice

Note: 1) Use more or less sausage to taste.. Generally, I use 3.
2) Of course you can add other things but, it won't be the same recipe. ( I only say this as so many times someone will say, " I added XXX for flavor and I didn't like it".)

Ross

Last edited:
Yesterday was "Whatever Wednesday" for us - mainly because we had a minor power outage last night around suppertime - so Mom had a vienna sausage sandwich with cantaloupe for dessert and I had a salad with cantaloupe for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom