Wednesday, Aug 6, Korean's on our plate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Gochujang pork shoulder steaks, with pickled carrot, seaweed/daikon/cuke salad, spicy scallion and onion salad, and purchased kimchee, with rice. Had been wanting to try this but couldn't find the gochujang so finally ordered it from Amazon, and then found it local 2 days after. :rolleyes:

Man, the marinade for the pork looks and smells deadly. Hope I have a stomach left tomorrow.

I'm resurrecting an old recipe from 2007 for a pork curry dish with veggies. I don't remember it but was looking for something different so here goes.

I was just going to start a dinner thread for today, and thought I better look a little further...found it on page 2. :)

I had farmer's market goodies this evening. A fresh tomato sandwich on rye, and 2 peaches. The peaches are amazing! :ohmy: :yum:

Gochujang pork shoulder steaks, with pickled carrot, seaweed/daikon/cuke salad, spicy scallion and onion salad, and purchased kimchee, with rice. Had been wanting to try this but couldn't find the gochujang so finally ordered it from Amazon, and then found it local 2 days after. :rolleyes:

Man, the marinade for the pork looks and smells deadly. Hope I have a stomach left tomorrow.

Surprisingly good and, although it did have a cumulative heat effect, a couple of bites of jasmine rice at the end of the meal pretty much took care of that. Never got to the point of pain, just a little nudge from the spice heat. Recipes from the July Bon Appetit, although I did cut down seriously on the salt in the sides and will cut down even further next time.

Craig really enjoyed his belated B-day cake, fresh cherry cake with fresh cherry buttercream frosting. Made a little :pig: out of himself. He has a new favorite.

:flowers:Hawaiian here tonight. Well, kinda.

Oven franks stuffed with bacon, on Royal Hawaiian hot dog buns with salsa made with fresh pineapple, red onion, cilantro, fresh diced jalapeno and a healthy dose of Tajin' seasoning. Ono!

We made reservations again for Kauai today for next April. Using air miles we need to book that far ahead. We adore that island. Thought we'd get in the mood.

Last edited:
I pan-seared a New York strip steak, sliced it up, and served it with more leftover couscous and fresh bread from the bakery slathered with freshly made pesto topped with diced tomatoes and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

My partner manufactures gochujang commercially (as well as Korean soy sauce and other condiments) so I always have a ton of it around. It's terrific!

We had Italian sausages with watermelon mint salad and pan fried potatoes for our main meal at noon.

I had more mac and pepperoni for my light dinner.

The highlight though was splitting our first ever heirloom tomato from our garden. It was so delicious!

I had to judge wine tonight at the Pierce County Fair in Ellsworth, Wisconsin. So dinner consisted mostly of dodgy fair food. But I did manage to stop at the creamery there and pick up a little treat to take home... 10 year cheddar. :yum:

img_1379292_0_b76f1886b16a2b4b09ee90bc7bcf9e6f.jpg

That's a pretty nice price for 10-year-old cheese Steve. Or is that just the norm around there in MN and I've gotten used to the ridiculous prices for younger VT cheddar?

I was SO not in the mood to cook tonight. Asked Himself if he would go out for pizza and he said he didn't have a taste for it. :ohmy: I thought guys ALWAYS had a taste for pizza. He said the reason was I've spoiled him with my cooking. :glare: Sure. Scooted up to the corner grocer for some cod and a loaf of French bread. We had baked cod, Brussels sprouts with bacon and mushrooms, and warmed bread. I have meals planned out for the rest of the week but rest assured, I WILL have pizza one day next week. BwaHaHa!

I made a concoction of:

4 medium yukon gold potato's, quartered
5 frozen, boneless and skinless chicken thighs
1 jar of marinara
1 can of coconut milk
1 package of chicken tikka masala spice's
3/4 of a cup of chicken broth

Dumped it all in the pressure cooker and set it for 15 minutes. Delicious!

We are doing storm prep so the next few days are going to be an adventure. Tomorrow's dinner may be cheese and crackers, lol.

That's a pretty nice price for 10-year-old cheese Steve. Or is that just the norm around there in MN and I've gotten used to the ridiculous prices for younger VT cheddar?
In Minnesota, it would have cost somewhere around $25 a pound. Because I bought it in Wisconsin at the creamery, it was much less.

Same with younger cheese. I also bought a pound of sharp cheddar yesterday for $4.50/lb. However, if that same cheese crosses over the border into MN and winds up in a grocery store, it jumps to $8.00/lb.

We had another New York strip steak in the fridge, so I pan-fried it and served it over Israeli couscous with grilled veggies and vinaigrette dressing and fresh French country bread from a local bakery topped with homemade pesto, diced tomato and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

Attachments

• 2014-08-06 20.55.42.jpg
    2014-08-06 20.55.42.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 167
Back
Top Bottom