Wednesday dinner, 02-15-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought the Philips this morning at Bed Bugs and Beyond.

Hahaha!:ROFLMAO::LOL: I take it you saw the story about the people who decided to do something on one of their mattresses and it turned out the people had scabies. BBB had to fumigate their store and tossed the mattress.

Tonight I am making beef with taco seasoning and when that's done, I'll mix it in some chopped lettuce, throw some cheese on top, then add it all to the refried beans on top of broken tostada shells.

In other words, a beef and refried beans taco salad.

003.jpg

I used my little v-shaped gas grill smoker box again with a handful of Mesquite wood chips to grill some Costco Boneless Pork Chops, dosed in my house made espresso rub...

001.JPG

served along side a new Trader Joe's love, Tater Totes and Trader Joe's Frozen French Green Beans.

002.JPG

Dessert will be Trader Joe's Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins later this evening

We had the shrimp poke from the 2/2017 Bon Appetit tonight. OMG, it was so spicy I could barely eat it. Had to add a whole bunch of rice to mine to tone it down enough to where it didn't scorch my mouth. I really enjoyed the Fluke poke recipe, but if we ever make the shrimp recipe again, I'll halve the gochujang called for, if not quarter the amount. Craig certainly enjoyed it though.

37240-albums1071-picture6868.jpg

Last edited:
Med, is gochujang (or other chili pastes) a normal part of a poke recipe? I've only seen poke on travel/food shows, but that sounds like a bit of a fusion dish.

Pan seared shrimp with garlic and lemon butter, parslied potatoes, and asparagus.

Attachments

• pan seared shrimp with garlic butter.jpg
    pan seared shrimp with garlic butter.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 83
Med, is gochujang (or other chili pastes) a normal part of a poke recipe? I've only seen poke on travel/food shows, but that sounds like a bit of a fusion dish.

I think you are supposed to put your right foot in, and your right foot out, and shake it all around. At least I've heard that is what it's all about.

CD :chef:

Gochujang is a Korean spice and is used to make a spicy Poke such as Mussel Kim Chee Poke let's say.
Poke is pretty loose. What ever flavors/textures make you happy.
I hope that more folks here at DC would try Poke.
If anyone have any questions in regards to the prep, I'd be happy to give some advise :cool:

shaka.jpg

Thanks, K.

I have some experience with Asian foods (old neighbors used to make their own gochujang and kimchi, got me hooked,and eventually enlisted my help when we bridged the language gap) but I'm only scratching the surface as it were. Polynesian dishes are something I've never really looked into.

Just a curios gringo.

Looking back, Med mentioned a specific recipe; I guess it was from that.

Last edited:
Gochujang is a Korean spice and is used to make a spicy Poke such as Mussel Kim Chee Poke let's say.
Poke is pretty loose. What ever flavors/textures make you happy.
I hope that more folks here at DC would try Poke.
If anyone have any questions in regards to the prep, I'd be happy to give some advise :cool:

View attachment 26196

I have not had Poke. It seems to be a very wide variety of food. I find that very appealing. Perhaps you could post up a recipe that uses the kind of stuff we can find at the local grocery store -- even here in North Texas.

I don't know if I'll like it or not, but I'll never know if I don't try it.

CD

CD, I don't know if it is entertaining or not but you will soon learn with me there is usually a story! :LOL:

I have really bad insomnia and last night was no exception. So, when I had to get up to make my hubby TB's sandwiches for work and main meal (we eat at 1 pm before he leaves for the afternoon shift) I wasn't very with it.

I grind my own meat and usually do a kilo at a time. I like a 50/50 mix of beef and pork. I had done the grinding on Tuesday and was going to take out some for our tacos and put the rest into meatloaf for tomorrow. When I went to work on it I just threw all the meatloaf ingredients into the bowl instead of taking some meat out and cooking it with taco seasoning and leaving the rest for the next day.

At least it means it was a big enough meatloaf we will be eating sandwiches for awhile (I slice and freeze it).

As for tacos, TB was really craving them so he picked up some ground beef on his way home tonight. :LOL:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :angel:

Went through more leftovers - and they weren't from last night's Chinese either. :wacko: Instead, we killed off the last, less-than-one-serving of smothered chicken with garlic-cheese mashed potatoes, and put a dent in the BBQ sauced ribs and fixin's.

...I bought the Philips this morning at Bed Bugs and Beyond...
What is it with guys calling the store by that name? :LOL: Himself has always called it by that same name. Yeah, I still shop there. :)

Really impressed with the Philips pasta machine. Light years ahead of the old Pastamatic (RIP). Very fast (10 minutes for a quarter kilo of pasta), quiet, and easy to clean. I'll be ordering discs for the other shapes. Very happy with my new kitchen toy.

Last edited:
so hey folks! hope you don't mind i bump this because i couldn't get on yesterday. but made this

dal, basmati rice, and chicken pakora

pic working??
hOtsQ4Z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom