Wednesday Dinner(Chinese!) w/Slideshow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
Well as you now all know Wednesday dinner is dinner night for the GF, however she was on overnight call so we bumped it back a day... i decided to get fancy this time and put up a slideshow instead of individual pictures... went with an asian theme tonite.... some tuna & salmon sushami, some dumplings/potstickers, and some sesame chicken... didnt have chinese dessert so i made her favorite... chocolate covered strawberries and threw in a fortune cookie to finish it off.... as always my pictures aren't all that great, but here they are anyhow :chef:
Sushi: Tuna & Salmon Sushami

img_503079_0_33179e76a3e4563a86ab51bd730cfad8.jpg

Appetizer: Dumplings/Potstickers

img_503079_1_232cf58270ff05b9f791033e2bbcb09f.jpg

Meat: Sesame Chicken w/ rice and steamed Veggies

img_503079_2_4460440f7eacee5c8e6d85d0280b48f9.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate Covered Strawberries/Chocolate covered biscotti w/ hazelnuts

img_503079_3_309c1a515826bd80fb3145271af1528a.jpg

Fortune Cookies!

img_503079_4_42683474efccde73c48947533bda19d1.jpg

Edit: slideshow didnt work so i posted pictures.

Last edited:
Looks good! were the potstickers pork or seafood?

actually, neither. I used "smeat" or fake meat, or whatever that morning star fake vegitarian ground beef is. I used to use pork but a friend of mine doesnt eat meat so i made it for her with that stuff once, and it turned out so much better then pork that i just stuck with it.... who knew?:chef:

That does it! Can I move in with you? ;) Your dinner looks lovely. (I like everything but the sushi, but that's just my taste.) Can you share your chicken recipe with us? TIA.

BTW, I have the same white square dishes (salad, soup bowls & dinner plates) from Crate and Barrel. Love em. They have some great little sushi dishes, serving platters etc to go with.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/default.aspx

Last edited:
you're making me hungry again, jj.

umm, what's sushami?

lol, whatever you call it, the fish looks top notch. nice color in the tuna, and nice fat in the salmon. good job.

next time you do chinese, for dessert, you could get a can of lychees in syrup (or fresh and make your own sauce/syrup), and serve them over some ice cream.

thanks for the pix.

That does it! Can I move in with you? ;) Your dinner looks lovely. (I like everything but the sushi, but that's just my taste.) Can you share your chicken recipe with us? TIA.

BTW, I have the same white square dishes (salad, soup bowls & dinner plates) from Crate and Barrel. Love em. They have some great little sushi dishes, serving platters etc to go with.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/default.aspx

Well you'd have to sleep on the futon, and put up with the cat, but if that doesnt bother you then sure come on in! :)

Those little appetizer dishes are actually from bed bath and beyond, but you are right i did get mot of them from crate & Barrell. As far as the recipe goes... here it is, it really isnt that tough, and it always comes out great. I'm sure it will be an isntant classic for your family and friends.

Batter:
- 4 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Sherry (optional)
- 6 Drops Sesame Oil
- 4 Tablespoon Flour
- 6 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoon Vegitable Oil
*** 1/4 cup to 1.5 cups of water
Mix everything together in a large bowl. Add the water little by little mixing everything until you get a smooth peanut butter like consistency.

Sesame Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/8 Cup Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Paste (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Whisk together then
Bring to a boil. reduce to flame and simmer to keep warm(should be a nice thick glaze consistency.

Sesame Chicken:
- 1 to 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 2 Tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- 1/4 Cup Scallions/Green Onions,Sliced
- Sesame Sauce
- Batter
- peanut oil

Mix the chicken in the bowl with the batter generously coating. refrigerate for 10 minutes. Heat peanut oil in a wok or deep pot and deep fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown and cooked through (6-8 minutes). Transfer to paper towel, then a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken to fully coat and thens serve on a dish. sprinkle on sesame seeds and top with scallion slices

Broccoli was just steamed, and i used a bag of short grain rice from the asian section of my local supermakret made in the rice cooker and molded it with the top from a butter dish

Last edited:
you're making me hungry again, jj.

umm, what's sushami?

from my VERY limited knowledge sushami is when the fish is cut in long slices laid over a small block of rice and and a maki roll is when its rolled up and cut into coins. and that they both fall under the "sushi" category... feel free to correct me as i may very well be way off.
lol, whatever you call it, the fish looks top notch. nice color in the tuna, and nice fat in the salmon. good job.
We have a great fish market a few blocks down... always have some great fresh stuff that looks and taste great. i dont think id ever be able to buy fish from a supermarket again after getting it from these guys.
next time you do chinese, for dessert, you could get a can of lychees in syrup (or fresh and make your own sauce/syrup), and serve them over some ice cream.

thanks for the pix.
lychees? not farmiliar with this? i'll definetly look it up though thanks!

hey where are you from in jersey?

Last edited:
Well you'd have to sleep on the futon, and put up with the cat, but if that doesnt bother you then sure come on in! :)

Those little appetizer dishes are actually from bed bath and beyond, but you are right i did get mot of them from crate & Barrell. As far as the recipe goes... here it is, it really isnt that tough, and it always comes out great. I'm sure it will be an isntant classic for your family and friends.

Batter:
- 4 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Sherry (optional)
- 6 Drops Sesame Oil
- 4 Tablespoon Flour
- 6 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoon Vegitable Oil
*** 1/4 cup to 1.5 cups of water
Mix everything together in a large bowl. Add the water little by little mixing everything until you get a smooth peanut butter like consistency.

Sesame Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/8 Cup Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Paste (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Whisk together then
Bring to a boil. reduce to flame and simmer to keep warm(should be a nice thick glaze consistency.

Sesame Chicken:
- 1 to 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 2 Tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- 1/4 Cup Scallions/Green Onions,Sliced
- Sesame Sauce
- Batter
- peanut oil

Mix the chicken in the bowl with the batter generously coating. refrigerate for 10 minutes. Heat peanut oil in a wok or deep pot and deep fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown and cooked through (6-8 minutes). Transfer to paper towel, then a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken to fully coat and thens serve on a dish. sprinkle on sesame seeds and top with scallion slices

Broccoli was just steamed, and i used a bag of short grain rice from the asian section of my local supermakret made in the rice cooker and molded it with the top from a butter dish

Thanks so much for the recipe. Copied & saved. Your pics and dishes always look amazing.

oops, sorry, i thought you knew. i was just goofing around.

sushi is the vinegared rice, upon which the fish is placed.

the sliced fish by itself is called sashimi.

maki is rolled into a tube and sliced. temaki is rolled into a cone.

oh yeah, i'm originally from demarest, and have lived in bergen county most of my life.

from my VERY limited knowledge sushami is when the fish is cut in long slices laid over a small block of rice and and a maki roll is when its rolled up and cut into coins. and that they both fall under the "sushi" category... feel free to correct me as i may very well be way off.

Hi, jerseyjay. You're actually making a type of sushi called Nigiri-zushi. Sashimi is just raw fish with no rice.

For more info: SushiFAQ.com - The Sushi FAQ - Sushi Information

oops, sorry, i thought you knew. i was just goofing around.

sushi is the vinegared rice, upon which the fish is placed.

the sliced fish by itself is called sashimi.

maki is rolled into a tube and sliced. temaki is rolled into a cone.

oh yeah, i'm originally from demarest, and have lived in bergen county most of my life.

thanks for clarification.... im from BC as well.... ridgefield...

Can you post the recipe for those dumplings? I've been craving them lately and would like to try to make them myself.

Can you post the recipe for those dumplings? I've been craving them lately and would like to try to make them myself.

sure thing.... they are pretty easy and a favorite snack of mine...

ingredients:

- 3/4 lbs. Groud Pork (or smeat/fake meat)
- 1 Cup red Cabbage (minced)
- 2 Tablesppon Ginger (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- 6 Scallions/Geen Onions (Sliced)
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 24 Dumpling Wrappers (can be found in asian section of supermarket or in an asian market)
- 1 Egg (Beaten)
- egg wash
- 2 Tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water

Directions:

Combine the pork, soy sauce, beaten egg, cabbage, garlice, ginger, and half the scallions.
Lay each dumpling wrapper flat. Brush half the circle with egg. Place 1 Teaspoon
of pork mixture in center of dough. fold the top end of the dough over and pinch w/ a fork to close.

Heat oil in large pan. Add dumplings (6 to 8 at a time) and cook on high heat for 2 minutes. Add water
cover and lower to medium heat for 3 minutes. uncover, flip, and let stand for 2 minutes or until
water has evaporated. let stand for 5 minutes then serve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom