Wednesday's Dinner Thread 4/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unicorn dogs as a copycat from The Unicorn/Narwhal in Seattle. A jumbo hot dog battered in a corn dog batter made with fresh corn and butter, fried then split and stuffed with a sriracha/cream cheese mix, covered with caramelized onions, drizzled with more sriracha, garnished with green onion tops. I was a bit hesitant about the taste combo, but it was really quite good. Homemade chips that got a little dark, but still tasted good.

Attachments

• 2021-04-14 18.32.24.jpg
    2021-04-14 18.32.24.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 122
Sicilian pizza w/ cheese and bacon bits...

39817-albums888-picture8583.jpg
[/IMG]

Like many, I have had to throw away veggies, fruits and other things that "go bad" over the past years. It has always bothered me. This year, I've really tried to throw away less by better planning, etc. For example, I shop my kitchen before going to the supermarket. Even with good planning, items will start to turn.

Today, I had a bowl of tomatoes that were starting to become a little soft. No blemishes yet. In shopping my fridge, I found some fresh mozzarella and a pack of chicken breasts in the freezer. I decided to try to "create something." After roasting the tomatoes for 3 hours in a low oven with a bit of garlic and olive oil, I layered the tomatoes in a dish, covered the tomatoes with the mozzarella and then topped it with 1/2 inch slices of thawed boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I had a few tomatoes left that I tossed in a chopper with a bit of the roasted garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. This went over the layers and I baked them for about 1.25 hours at 350 F.

Cooked up some spaghetti and tossed it with a few spoons of basil pesto, fresh cracked pepper, salt, and a few spoons of the cooking liquid. Topped the dish with some grated Parmesan. It turned out really good! Happiness is! Nothing was wasted. I have leftovers for lunch. I'm pretty bouncy. :w00t2:

I'm hoping it reheats well because I have enough for two days of lunch!

I often go on tangents from recipes or ideas of them, but rarely do I make something worthy of company from whatever falls out of the pantry/fridge. :chef:

Attachments

• 2021-04-14.jpg
    2021-04-14.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 53
I made a big batch of Chef John's white bean and Italian sausage soup, which he calls a stew. I made it with rainbow chard instead of kale. It is hearty. That was really good. DH ate too much, he had four servings and had bread with it. I'm glad to have some easy meals in the future. This is an easy soup, but it pooped me out to make it.

As can be seen from the photo, I made a bit of a mess grating the parm, but it's soooo good.

Attachments

• PXL_20210414_220356827 small.jpg
    PXL_20210414_220356827 small.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 46
Breakfast was a BLT.

blt_041421_IMG_7981.JPG

Dinner was delivery - I had 1/2 slice cheese pizza and 1/2 meatball sub.

Back
Top Bottom