Well Since.....Dinner Nov. 13, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope you feel better, msmofet.

...Be sure to check out the "Super Moon" tonight...
It was glorious! We saw it through the trees at Petersburg Battlefield. While driving from there to our hotel in Williamsburg, we saw the super moon to our right at approximately 30 degrees above the horizon, and a gorgeous sunset on the left, no obstructions on the horizon save for one small stretch. Sadly, a photo would not have done it justice...

We ate at a wonderful little restaurant, Food For Thought. In spite of the fact that I'm missing cooking, I must say if this place were near to us I would want to be a regular! Himself had one of the specials, seared sesame tuna, barely medium rare. I have to admit it was rather good! Also a side of corn and peas. He couldn't get over how good they were. I wasn't too hungry, so I got a shrimp po-boy and left some of the roll. Also, instead of the regular side of skinny fries, I got a plate of steamed asparagus with a lemon-cream sauce. Yum! Since the hotel had a coupon for a half-price appy or dessert, Himself and I decided that we did have a small bit of tummy space so we could split their bread pudding.

We'll be in Williamsburg until Wednesday morning. I think we might end up at Food For Thought Tuesday night...

Wild rice hotdish (casserole). The choice of meat was leftover porchetta. Good thing I pulled it together early in the day as the rest of the day was spent cutting up a deer. For the first time, Mom asked for seconds! It probably was the best wild rice hotdish I have ever made...and I've been making this for at least 45 years since I've pulled this together since I was in grade school.

We needed to use up the rest of the oyster mushrooms from last week before they went bad, as well as some crimini, so mixed mushroom pasta sauce (used some dried porcini too) with pancetta, onions, garlic, basil, cream and mushroom soaking liquid.

Went to the new Super Kr@$%& and paid $11.99/lb for Mahi Mahi. I blackened it and it was not good at all. Very disappointed. the Frozen version at Costco was much better and 1/2 the price. Did Italian sausage/mushroom/onion stuff Rooms, topped with Mozzarella and baked off in my Mother small CI pan, really good.

Was supper super?

Lisa and I got together to test our cooking skills again. We failed. The hoisin chicken didn't caramelize and the fried rice burnt, but I still thought it tasted great. I had never tasted homemade fried rice before and I think I found a new food that I love!

Unless you are using Marty McFly's DeLorean, you might want to reschedule dinner. Maybe 1600 hours? :)

Sentence was left out, Time Turner will be deployed at some point.

;) Fixed? I can pretend for military speak, but I really don't get military time. My Marine cousin picked up on that also, never served, but I have read too many after action reports, that it even bleeds into my wife and my couple-speak, you know the language you have when you are married to someone? for a dinner party:

S-4, do we have all the groceries?

S-1, who is coming over?

S-2 who are they sleeping with currently?

S-3, when do they expect food? and what? is this dinner, snacks what?

so a dinner party goes like this,

Dinner?

OK one?

Friend, co worker, maybe other talking 3

three understood S2?

coworker, maybe couple,

do we like coworker?

yes

best after seven

8?

done

s-4 what do they expect?

snacks not dinner

K, done.

Military time...for hours past noon, i.e. 1PM add 12, so one o'clock in the afternoon becomes 1300. 4PM would be 1600, just add 12. 8 PM - 2000. Learned this trick in nursing school.

I don't bother with the "12" - I just add "2" I drop the 1 or 10 part.

as far as I'm concerned if you can't rationalize that adding "2" to 9 pm makes 21:00 hours, instead of 11 pm .. then sorry...

most people are not trying to translate into military but from (except in this case, why were you using military foxy if it is not your thing? am pm works really well too ;))

so to translate from you just drop two. 21:00 hours minus 2 in your minds eye you should see 21 - 2 = 19 which translates to 9. You are after all trying to get out of military time so you know there is no 19 in a 12 hour system... just drop the 1 as well. I can subtract 2 faster than I can subtract 12.

Obviously this doesn't work for unimaginative mathematicians :LOL:
but it works for me! ;)

I don't bother with the "12" - I just add "2" I drop the 1 or 10 part.

as far as I'm concerned if you can't rationalize that adding "2" to 9 pm makes 21:00 hours, instead of 11 pm .. then sorry...

most people are not trying to translate into military but from (except in this case, why were you using military foxy if it is not your thing? am pm works really well too ;))

so to translate from you just drop two. 21:00 hours minus 2 in your minds eye you should see 21 - 2 = 19 which translates to 9. You are after all trying to get out of military time so you know there is no 19 in a 12 hour system... just drop the 1 as well. I can subtract 2 faster than I can subtract 12.

Obviously this doesn't work for unimaginative mathematicians :LOL:
but it works for me! ;)

That seems unnecessarily convoluted. You have to remember whether to add or subtract, then drop a 1 or a 10?

I just remember that 18th hours = 6 pm and add or subtract accordingly. I like PF's method better, but I'm not sure I would remember it after doing it this way for so long. It may have been something DH told me when he was in the Navy.

Last edited:
Guess it is because I've been doing it that way since the 50's when we moved to Europe.

to me it's not complicated -

it is 14:00 hours (1 4 - 2 makes it) 2 pm

it is 3 pm (3 + [1] 2 makes it) 15:00 hours

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom