What are you baking today? | 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have that recipie if you're willing to share it.

I just noticed your reply. Sorry for the tardiness in getting back to you.

I have just posted the recipe, with pic, for the pear tart: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/pear-tarte-77329.html#post1096293

When I made it with apples, 4 medium sized apples weighed ~600 grams. I cut them in wedges. I will try with halves next time. I substituted 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon for the ginger/cloves. I will use 1 tsp of cinnamon next time. It turned out very nicely. My DH was very happy with it and he loves apple pie and is very picky about it.

It had a nice hint of tartness that contrasted well with the sweet dough.

I just baked that apple tarte again. Yum. Four apples, this time I cut them in half.

33814-albums838-picture4444.jpg

33814-albums838-picture4443.jpg

Beautiful TL. I think it is crying for some french vanilla ice cream and/or warm caramel sauce. LOL

Stop--you're making me want to bake tonight! I just finished cleaning up the kitchen following the sourdough bread and cabbage roll soup! I had to wait for TOU rates to change to run the DW.

i found a recipe for a lower calorie muffin. notice i did not say low calorie, but by itself low enough for breakfast. even with a fried egg (spray butter flavored)and it couldn't be more simple. a pkg. of cake mix, and a 15 oz can of pumpkin. i used yellow with added vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. makes 12, 180 calories. very, very, good. had one with coffee for lunch. you could use spice cake mix. recipe called for chocolate, i didn't have one in the pantry. you will be tempted to add moisture as the batter is very thick, resist and just follow recipe.

Red velvet cake for my youngest daughter's birthday. I think I have to go get some cream cheese though, dang! I don't want to go out today.

Sounds like I'm doing Blueberry Sour Cream Scones...that's what Shrek wants for his birthday dessert, tomorrow.

And Brownies for Birthday Eve...:rolleyes: He's just plain devious...:glare:

Well, first, we had fresh-from-the-oven cinnamon rolls for breakfast and about an hour ago I removed a pan of potato rolls from the oven. Right now there's a loaf of N.Y. Times bread baking. Along with the roast beef in the crock-pot, the house smells heavenly.

Just took out the prettiest loaf of N.Y. Times bread I've ever made. It's the first one I've made since I've moved here into Glenn's house. Oven's the same. We brought mine from my old house, so that's not different.

I hadn't tried to make this bread before because I had to figure out how to create a constant warm temp for the long first rise. In the summer, that would be no problem but, in the colder months, that's a challenge. We keep the house in the low to mid 60s. I wasn't going to be deterred.

I thought, and thought, and thought, and thought...and came up with, as it turned out, the perfect solution.

I blocked the exterior vent louvers to the dryer, then leveled the "fins" on the inside of the dryer enough to span them with a large cooling rack. Under the rack on the "floor" of the dryer I laid a heating pad. Turned the heating pad to HIGH. Once the heating pad was in place I placed my electronic cooking thermometer atop the rack. So far, so good.

Lastly, I mixed up my dough slurry and put the bowl on the rack shelf. Closed the dryer door, with the cord for the heating pad running out, along with the cord to the thermometer.

For the entire 18 hours the temperature remained at between 71F and 73F. When the rise time was done, the inside of the dryer was cozy and nice and the dough was perfect.

I'm a happy camper and now I can make this type of bread any time I want.

Last edited:
I thought, and thought, and thought, and thought...and came up with, as it turned out, the perfect solution.

Nice solution...

I have been known to use the TV armoire in the bedroom. The electronics (TV, DirecTV receiver) keep it at 81F.

I just put two loaves of bread in the oven. Not the sexiest thing for baking, but I need bread.

I'm stumped. I started a batch of cinnamon rolls this a.m. Checked the date on the yeast and it was fine. But it didn't have much umph when I started it but I wasn't too concerned about that at the time. Well, here it is 12 hours later and I am still waiting on the second rise. It is happening but both rises were very slow. The first rise was in a nice very warm kitchen but it still took a good six hours. Because I had to leave for work I left the Dough for the second rise in a very cool back porch to slow the second rise. Now it's back in the kitchen and I am still wondering if it will be ready to bake in the morning. I know that my temps were right. Just can't figure out why my yeast is so slow. Well, rising this slowly it should have great flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom