What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope! Actually, I didn't even put breadcrumbs on top. Instead I make sure there's enough cheese and sauce on top so the cheese gets all nice and brown like it will on lasagna. :yum:

Just took a loaf of Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread out of the oven.

I had to get creative in order to make it because our house is generally coolish and I had to provide a 70F place for the dough to rest for its first 18 hours.

I put on my thinking cap and came up with what turned out to be a great solution. I spanned the fins in our electric dryer with one of our large cooling racks, placed a heating pad on the racks, then put the bowl of dough on top of the heating pad. I closed the dryer door and let the gods take over.

This morning, the dough was perfect and after testing the interior temp of the dryer with my thermal temp gun, the temperature was exactly as needed.

Worked out just right and we have a fantastic loaf of bread to enjoy with tonight's soup. I'm going to make more on Saturday. Can't wait.

Now I have a casserole of rice pudding baking for dessert. Yum!

Just took a loaf of Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread out of the oven.

I had to get creative in order to make it because our house is generally coolish and I had to provide a 70F place for the dough to rest for its first 18 hours.

Is this called over-proofing where you let the dough rise and then fall into itself? Do you do this for all your breads?

No. It's part of making the no-knead variety. Click on the link I referenced. You'll see.

I made another attempt at gluten free banana bread. This time I bought a mix and it was actually very close to regular banana bread, the closest I have ever come. I switched out the milk with coconut milk, and the eggs with egg replacer and it still turned out really dense but light and delicious.

It is pricey, but in comparison to all the flour ingredients I bought for the recipe that turned out so-so, I think this is a better value and much easier to make. I prefer to bake from scratch, but with gluten free, I go with what is the best taste and quality because some of it can be down-right inedible.

Oops, forgot to mention baked a couple days ago. Gotta mention it since I really don't bake much. I guess Bakechef's brownies got me going. Anyway, about the middle of last week I baked both a banana nut bread and a batch of oatmeal choco chip cookies. They're both half gone now. Gotta think of something else to make!

In Aruba I made a tres leches cake for my stepdaughter. It was shared around the pool with the folks who contributed vegetable oil for the cake and vanilla for the whipped cream.

Daughter was thrilled and several folks asked for the recipe. That cake is a real crowd pleaser.

Just put a dozen hamburger buns in to bake.

Glenn saw an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives where a place called Crockett's Public House in Puyallup, WA was featured. The dish that caught his eye was something called Mom's Sloppy Joe. Fortunately, I could pull the recipe up. I printed it off and will get what ingredients we don't have tomorrow. In the meantime, the buns are baking and we'll be ready for some sloppy good sammies.

He was really taken by what he determined were great ingredients in the meat mix. The recipe does sound quite yummy.

Whitebread and rolls.
39817-albums933-picture5816.jpg

Beautiful!!

Yesterday I made more of the 100% wheat bread. I've been using it for toast and enjoying it.

Is that recipe posted anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom