What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh peach pie. I blind-bake a crust, cool, and then fill with slices of fresh peaches that have a very little bit of a sugar glaze. Top each slice with fresh whipped cream right before we eat it. Mom used to top the entire pie since she always made this for dessert on Father's Day. I love how memories taste. :wub:
Yummmmm! That looks really tasty. I am so glad I don't have a sweet tooth--I'd be as round as I am tall if I made all these tasty treats. Not to mention, without dental insurance ... oh, let's not go there.

Fresh peach pie. I blind-bake a crust, cool, and then fill with slices of fresh peaches that have a very little bit of a sugar glaze. Top each slice with fresh whipped cream right before we eat it. Mom used to top the entire pie since she always made this for dessert on Father's Day. I love how memories taste. :wub:

That looks soooo good, CG! I sure do agree with you on the memories....just the thought of peach pie and I'm right back with my grandma again. :wub:

Katie, for some reason your Honey Buttermilk Bread link isn't loading for me - maybe my laptop is tired. :LOL: I'll try again tomorrow. Would love to give bread baking a try again, and this one sounds wonderful. :yum:

Cheryl, I only wish these memories came without calories.

Yummmmm! That looks really tasty. I am so glad I don't have a sweet tooth--I'd be as round as I am tall if I made all these tasty treats. Not to mention, without dental insurance ... oh, let's not go there.
Actually CW, it isn't sweet at all. I use a regular crust recipe without sugar. I use barely any sugar to make the glaze, then lift each slice out so very little clings. That way the crust does't get too soggy either. Finally, I use about 1 tsp of sugar to the cup of cream. Most of what you taste is fresh peach goodness. A six-inch pie plate for the two of us is just enough for two nights without going overboard. Won't be baking for a while again - not my forte.

I hear you about the insurance. Broke part of a molar off a while back. Been chewing on the other side of the mouth until I get me to a dentist with decent prices. Our old one soaked the insurance companies to make sure he got his share, but he charges patients without the same price. :glare:

If it isn't hot enough, I decided to try a new bread recipe my brother recommended. It was a traditional recipe that asked to knead by hand, etc. Well, I'm so in tune with with making bread using my bread machine that I decided to do it MY way. 'Cept there was so much volume both with liquid and flour that I felt it would be prudent to have the machine do only the kneading part, which left me to put the dough in a large bowl for the first rise.

Well, it's blast furnace hot here, so I decided to take advantage of Mother Nature's hot flashes and set the dough to rise out on the front porch. I put it in my large 26-cup mixing bowl, oiled the top of the dough thoroughly, covered the whole shebang with a large, clear plastic bag and set it outside.

Holy catfish, Batman! I'm glad I didn't leave it in the machine for the first rise. It darn near met me at the front door. It completely filled the bowl and rose way over the top.

The recipe said to fashion the dough into two loaves. No way! Instead, I made three good-sized loaves, which ended up being perfect. The loaves rose beautifully the last time and baked to a golden brown and, of course, the smell was almost more than we could stand. Can't wait to taste it. I have a feeling this recipe is a keeper.

If you're interested, check out this recipe for Honey Buttermilk Bread.

The link is not working for me. But if it has honey in it, I had the same problem one time. I used my regular recipe from my Good Housekeeping cookbook. Only I was really low on sugar and didn't want to use any for the bread. But I already had everything measured out except for the sugar. So I used the honey in its place. I had the same results. It rose all over the top of the bowl and down the counter. That never happened when I used the sugar. The honey was the only thing different I did. I never had that happen before. :angel:

Addie, check the link now. It should work.

Okay, update on the bread. Holy cow! Definitely a keeper.

We had some toasted for breakfast this morning and it was delicious. The texture was fantastic and the flavor was delicious. Just the tiniest bit of sweet from the honey. I have a feeling this would make awesome French toast and I plan on finding out Sunday morning for our breakfast.

Making it using my method didn't have any adverse effect on it at all and if I feel game, I might try making more tomorrow and divide it into two loaves instead of three. However, I have a feeling the loaves would be unusually large. At least as the dough rises over the tops of the pan rim.

One thing's for sure, it's still going to be hot enough to let it rise on the front porch.

I was going to make a pineapple upside down cake, but if it didn't get eaten up today it would just sit here in the test kitchen over the long week-end, and that's no good. Maybe I will make it on Tuesday.

A couple of days ago I made some browned butter chocolate chunk cookies, with nuts. I came in the next morning and they were all gone!

Thanks for fixing the link Katie. It wasn't working for me either last night. I've saved it, hoping to remember it later in the year.

Addie, your avatar photo looks a bit different. Did you do something with your hair?

That's what she looks like when she goes out dancing...:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for fixing the link Katie. It wasn't working for me either last night. I've saved it, hoping to remember it later in the year.

Addie, your avatar photo looks a bit different. Did you do something with your hair?

:LOL: Yes. I hate that my hair is partly grey and partly white. So I went all white. :angel:

All fluffed up and no place to go!

I baked an apple with caramel sauce. No crust on it or cinnamon, etc., just the caramel sauce.

Addie, Teddy is a cutie! Good to see a pic of him. :wub:

Sir Loin....omgosh, pineapple upside down cake has been a fave of mine for so many years...now I've got a hankerin'. Think I'll have to make one soon.

Baked apples sounds good, princess, I love them and they're so easy.

Katie, thank you for fixing the link for the Honey Buttermilk Bread. So many yummy sounding things to try here.....:yum:

Apple pie with grains of paradise substituted for the usual spices.

NOT a pie contest entry, clearly. But it will taste good. :LOL:

I did brownies on Monday and they're long gone. I need some inspiration! Might do some rhubarb oat squares as there's a bit left in the garden. I MIGHT be energetic enough to do some cinnamon buns while I scrub down the house again. Mmmmm...yep. Pix to follow.

I'm going to make some apple dumplings. Our neighbors have their house on the market and moving back north. They are under a bit of stress right now so I thought they may enjoy the dumplings.

I've been getting my share from my co-workers. They must love me chubby, they keep bringing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom