What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I made French bread rolls - dough in the bread machine, then baked in the oven. Last time I made them, I buttered the tops and sprinkled them with a 7-seed mix I got at TJ Maxx. Many of the seeds fell off as we ate them, so this time, I incorporated them into the dough. Delish!

Attachments

• 2016-03-26 16.19.43.jpg
    2016-03-26 16.19.43.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 2016-03-26 18.55.06.jpg
    2016-03-26 18.55.06.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 7-seed crust.jpg
    7-seed crust.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 183
ATK had a show on this past weekend with a chedder cheese crust that had a bit of dry mustard, cayenne and paprika in it. The pie actually looked really good. Apples were just very slightly precooked (enough so that they shrunk and you didn't get that huge space between the top crust and the filling).

I just started a batch of naan-type flat bread to go with our cauliflower/lentil curry for dinner.

I need to get out into the kitchen and bake a pineapple upside down cake for my granddaughter. I have the page bookmarked that showed the one that (I think) Katie H made and showed us the picture. I am going to try it in a tubular pan. :angel:

Kaffee Kuchen, basically a really light and fluffy yellow cake, baking powder and beaten egg white leavening, with a streusal topping. First made this in Home Ec in high school, not saying how long ago that was. :ROFLMAO: Late breakfast today.

Trying a new brioche recipe because the last time I tried to make brioche didn't come out too well. Going to take the plunge into my birthday foie gras tonight and want the brioche for toast points.

Wow, this recipe looks to be giving me much better results. I got all the butter mixed in and the dough came back together just like the recipe said it would (6 oz/12 Tbsp). It started with a sponge of yeast, flour, 1 egg and a pinch of sugar. Then, you added the rest of the flour, sugar, salt, 4 eggs, mixed, then added the butter. Just checked on it and, with 40 minutes left of the recommended 2-hour first rise, it's already doubled in size and then some, so I think I'll give it a few more minutes then take it out, deflate, and put it in the fridge for it's second, much longer rise. It's enough to make 2 loaves but I think I'll either make cinnamon bread or sticky buns with the other part, got a few hours to decide.

Just about to go and make a lemon drizzle cake for the staff at the stables. No special occasion, just an occasional treat to say "Thank you".

My brioche results.
37240-albums1042-picture6548.jpg

The rolls, they were so good we ate the first few of them without icing.
37240-albums1042-picture6549.jpg

It's been so hot and humid here I've shied away from turning the oven on, but today's a bit more agreeable so I think I'm going to make a batch of Cornmeal Pan Rolls. We're going to finish up a yummy Puerto Rican pork shoulder tonight and these rolls would be great with it. Actually, they're great...period. The first time I made them, Glenn ate 3 of them right from the oven while they were still warm. Omigosh, they're sooooo good!

I actually decided to look up a guide on how to knead. Turns out, I've been doing it wrong the whole time, so I'm attempting to make some wholemeal bread (boule or loaf? I have yet to decide!) to practice the new technique.

I had some bananas that were getting overripe, so I made a batch of banana muffins yesterday, using Penzeys Pie Spice instead of the nutmeg called for in the recipe. I love that stuff :heart: It has all the warm spices (including three different kinds of cinnamon) plus vanilla sugar and anise seed. So good. I had a little too much batter for twelve muffins, so I made a little cake with the rest. Dipped them in melted butter and topped with pie-spice sugar ;)

I miscalculated how much softened butter I would need - I was 2 tbsp. short and all the rest was in the fridge. So I remembered a tip I had read about grating it to soften it quickly. Worked like a charm! I also was 1/2 cup short of the amount of plain yogurt I needed, so I substituted whipped cream cheese that I softened on low power in the microwave. They came out delicious!

Attachments

• 2016-06-14 14.33.43.jpg
    2016-06-14 14.33.43.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2016-06-14 15.30.19.jpg
    2016-06-14 15.30.19.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 2016-06-14 15.32.45.jpg
    2016-06-14 15.32.45.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Glenn has requested homemade hamburgers on the grill and Cajun potato salad for his Father's Day meal.

As slowly as I've been moving these days, I think I'd better make the burger buns today. I don't have much to do today and it's too hot and humid to "play" outside until pool time later in the afternoon. Think I'll make some good smells in the house this morning.

Finally got the berry-cherry crisp baked. Half blueberries, half cherries, and all good. :yum: It looks like "the mice" got to it, though.

Attachments

• 2016-06-24 01.35.40.jpg
    2016-06-24 01.35.40.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom