What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made some bread with spelt flour, and added a mix of toasted sunflower seeds, walnut and toasted oats, (all zapped in the food processor to make them reasonably small pieces). I put them on the top of the bread too.

I took the cake scraps I had, put them in my food processor with some powdered sugar, liquor, extract, and rum and came up with (what I think are called) bon bons. :pig: I ended up liking the first batch so much I made a couple more cakes and continued.

I then rolled the mixture into balls and dipped them in candy melt. They say it gets better as it ages, so I'm planing on serving them next weekend. :chef: I have 80 all packed away in air tight containers.

Coffee and rum
Strawberry
Coconut and banana
Rum

Tomrorrow I'm thinking lemon squares or shortbread. Hmmm. I also need to make more lemon curd because I have too many leftover yolks. :-p

My daughter is taking German and is therefore obsessed ... she's making a German Streusel concoction and let me just tell you how divine it smells!

EPG, I do that alot...finding substitutes for things I am used to using in my cooking, and can't find here. Other expats who live here help with suggestions and ideas, but I was pretty amazed the other night when I was talking with a friend and she said she couldn't make her peanut butter pie because she could not get Cool Whip. Cool Whip! I suggested that she whip some of the wonderful rich, thick cream we have here in abundance. It had never occurred to her....One of my best recent finds is a recipe for making Bisquick - sometimes you just gotta have it. If anyone wants it, I'll post it. Oh, and I have those double decker brownies in the oven. They smell wonderful.

Today, I have a brioche in the oven. It smells good. I've haven't tried this recipe, so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

I made a Coconut Pound Cake yesterday. I'm taking it into work next week for a friend's birthday.

I had to put my kitty down on Friday, and it helped me feel a little better to get my hands in the flour and coconut and do something nice for someone else.

Yesterday, I made focaccia with rosemary and Parmesan cheese - started it in the bread machine and baked it in the oven. It turned out great. Tonight's dinner will be New Mexico Pork Chop Bake (see the dinner thread).

So sorry to hear about your kitty, ChefJune. It is so hard to lose a friend. I think we will some day find out that cats are really higher on the evolutionary ladder than we are. I treasure the memory of each kitty I've had in my six and a half decades, and the three cats we currently share our lives with.

Oh gosh, I have a new favorite brownie recipe. The nice combination of fudgy bottom and crispy, buttery top on the double decker brownies is hard to beat. Have to confess that I added finely chopped walnuts to the top layer - I think I would add them to the bottom next time. They are wonderful. Hubby thinks so, too. Thanks so much for the recipe!

I baked a cinnamon-raisin boat anchor. This is my second attempt at making a cinnamon-raisin bread from a very dependable bread cookbook. The first time I made it, I used my bread machine to do some of the work. The bread was less than perfect, so I chalked that up to the use of the bread machine.

Today I made the bread EXACTLY as instructed in the book. This loaf was worse than the one made using the bread machine. At least we could eat some of the first loaf. Today's attempt went into the trash can. I would've put it out for the birds to eat, but I'm afraid they'd break their beaks on it.
:LOL:

I'm a bit discouraged/disgusted and am going to wait a few days until I try tot make a third loaf. Ugh!!!:mad:

Katie I can PM you my favorite if you like, from a Disney cookbook (no mouse neccesary!). I'm not so bright but I haven't messed it up yet!

More bagels, more muffins, I really don't want to bake until Wednesday lately, by then I talk myself out of it!!!

Katie, this recipe doesn't have raisins, but you can add them before you roll the loaves if you want them in there. This recipe works every time.

You DO know that in bread recipes, the amount of flour that is specified is always a generalization, don't you? You never want to add more flour than is necessary. If your dough is too dry, you will need to add moisture to it.

The other caveat I should mention is that you cannot knead whole wheat dough too long. 20 minutes is always a good idea.

Cinnamon Swirl

makes 3 loaves

1 1/2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 large eggs, beaten
About 9 cups flour, half whole wheat, half unbleached
Dark brown sugar
Ground cinnamon

1. Pour scalded milk over butter, salt and honey. Cool. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let stand until it bubbles (about 5 minutes). Add yeast and beaten eggs to cooled milk. Gradually add flour, beating it in thoroughly. Do not add any more flour than is necessary to make an easily handled dough. The bread should be light and tender.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel, and let rise until double in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
3. Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured board. Cut dough into three pieces. Roll a portion of the dough 1-inch thick, spread with melted butter and sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and cinnamon. (Chopped nuts and/or raisins may also be added at this time, if desired.) Roll as for jelly roll and place in well oiled 9x5x3-inch bread pan, with seam at the bottom. Repeat with the remaining two-thirds of the dough.
4. Let rise in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
5. Bake loaves in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees F. and bake 40 minutes longer, or until bread is done.
6. Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on racks.

Yes, June, I'm a veteran bread baker and this recipe has me so miffed I can't even say. I have made ALL the bread products in our house for years and am so stubborn Irish that I'm going to conquer the recipe one way or the other. However, that doesn't mean I won't try other recipes, too. Thanks for your offering.

Whoo...don't mess with Katie, she's on a rampage! Good luck girl, kick that breads butt!

I made more cinnamon buns today, and very nearly forgot to put the yeast in the dough! Whew! That would have been REALLY bad.

I also made some of those double decker brownies of corazon's. YUMMY! I made sure I put about 2/3's of the batch in the freezer so I don't get yelled at for trying to "make people fat" when Ken gets home. LOLOLOL!

Go for it, Suzi. Right now I'm so fed up with the recipe I've been trying I could hurl. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not worried about the mouse. I have plenty of kitties.

Sorry I didn't see this til now! I'll go track it down, my son all of a sudden wants to be a cook and has kidnapped the cookbook to the land of his bedroom....:ohmy::pig:

If I'm not back by 10pm please call the Police and possibly a HazMat team....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom