What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I baked a batch of Pignoli macaroons and a Chocolate Cheese Pie. We are invited to our friend's home tomorrow for Passover and I tried to make acceptable desserts!! Love and energy, Vicki

Well, my chocolate half sheet is out of the way and have started the carrot cake layers for the main cake. They don't seem to be rising as I would like though so I will probably have to do 2 of each size and cut them down to 1 1/2" high rather than just slicing them through the middle as I prefer. During all this rentadaughter is coming over to "help" and called a few minutes ago to see if she can make some oat squares for her boyfriend's lunches (Real Mom doesn't have a stove!). Don't ya just love kids!

Tonight, I'm going to start the dough for the no knead bread. So I guess I'll really be baking tomorrow. Mmmm, fresh bread.

Okay, so I didnt' bake anything today (in fact with the flu and a cold I can't even think of food), but I think from Thursday to yesterday morning I baked enough cake to make up for it! This wasn't as fancy a wedding cake as the one I showed earlier; however, I learned three important lessons while making it. 1) the densness of carrot cake does not easily lend itself to making a 12" x 3" round layer all at once, even when you lower the temp and increase the time. I ended up redoing it as two 1 1/2 layers which had me up late and back working early yesterday to get it cooked, cooled and decorated for 11 am! 2) working with real flowers, while they save on the time to make sugar flowers, provide new challenges like weighing down the edges of the layers (making a perfect scallopped edge not so perfect!). Also, you have to clean and carefully wrap each flower. For the centerpiece I cheated! I cut a hole in the top layer and inserted a small glass with some water in it and inserted the arranged flowers tied with florists tape. 3) Cream cheese frosting is great with carrot cake, but not with hot lights! But I DO love my work! It is always worth it when the bride is happy!

Attachments

• NDcake1.jpg
    NDcake1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 177
  • NDcake3.jpg
    NDcake3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Laurie, those are beautiful cakes :)

I made a banana nut bread today to take to work tomorrow, and I have a cinnamon-raisin loaf in the bread machine for DH's breakfast this week.

Laurie, those are beautiful cakes :)

I made a banana nut bread today to take to work tomorrow, and I have a cinnamon-raisin loaf in the bread machine for DH's breakfast this week.

Thanks, GG, as I said this one was a real learning experience and not what I would call one of my best, but the couple and guests were happy so I guess that is what counts.

Laurie, the cakes are stunning. I'm sure the bride was thrilled. And I'll bet they even tasted good!! I didn't do any baking today except I have some dough rising for pizza. Got my attention diverted by an errant young pelican who mistakenly flew into the field next door to us and got tangled in the vegetation. Jerry and our neighbor Pepe got him out, and we took him to the beach (about 4 blocks) and let him go. He was definitely dehydrated and suffering - don't know how long he had been in there. But he happily drifted out on the waves and seemed to be OK.

Okay, so I didnt' bake anything today (in fact with the flu and a cold I can't even think of food), but I think from Thursday to yesterday morning I baked enough cake to make up for it! This wasn't as fancy a wedding cake as the one I showed earlier; however, I learned three important lessons while making it. 1) the densness of carrot cake does not easily lend itself to making a 12" x 3" round layer all at once, even when you lower the temp and increase the time. I ended up redoing it as two 1 1/2 layers which had me up late and back working early yesterday to get it cooked, cooled and decorated for 11 am! 2) working with real flowers, while they save on the time to make sugar flowers, provide new challenges like weighing down the edges of the layers (making a perfect scallopped edge not so perfect!). Also, you have to clean and carefully wrap each flower. For the centerpiece I cheated! I cut a hole in the top layer and inserted a small glass with some water in it and inserted the arranged flowers tied with florists tape. 3) Cream cheese frosting is great with carrot cake, but not with hot lights! But I DO love my work! It is always worth it when the bride is happy!
:) Have you ever used a baking core when you are baking big layers? They really help alot.

:) Have you ever used a baking core when you are baking big layers? They really help alot.

No, I haven't, but after I got home yesterday I was researching them on the internet. But hearing from someone first hand that they work helps. Thanks. The cake I am doing this week is cheesecake but next time I am at my supply store I am definitely going to buy a baking core for the future!

No, I haven't, but after I got home yesterday I was researching them on the internet. But hearing from someone first hand that they work helps. Thanks. The cake I am doing this week is cheesecake but next time I am at my supply store I am definitely going to buy a baking core for the future!
These are great too
Bake Even Strips - Wilton
They help keep the layers level.
I'm curious about your wedding cakes. Is this a business you run? I'm interested in going into the wedding cake bis once I get the kids in school. I made my sister's wedding cake this past summer. It turned out great! I can't remember if I ever posted photos...

These are great too
Bake Even Strips - Wilton
They help keep the layers level.
I'm curious about your wedding cakes. Is this a business you run? I'm interested in going into the wedding cake bis once I get the kids in school. I made my sister's wedding cake this past summer. It turned out great! I can't remember if I ever posted photos...
:) I also use the baking strips baking at 7500 ft they help alot for even layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom