"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #161
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
DC, you just gotta wonder how much time some people have on their hands don't you?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #162
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
In SC, the liqueur stores must close at 7PM & the sale of alcoholic beverages are prohibited on Sunday unless you own a "private" bar. And we have the 100 yards thing here too.
But at least youre finally getting rid of the silly "little bottle" law!!

Welcome to the free pour world!

John
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #163
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Alix, I've been to Toronto and London MANY times and the differences in liqour laws are insane. For example, up until last year the legal definition of "beer" was limited to 5.9%. They relaxed the law a bit and now I see Molson XXX at the store but you still cannot buy a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock (17%) here, at least in Ohio. You can buy it in Indiana, that much I know. Whew! I bet the amount of pages in the Federal Tax Code are NOTHING compared to the laws involved in selling alcohol! :roll:
It's worse than that! It's regulated by the states!!

In Texas, a beer over a certain ABV is an ale, and below is a lager, regardless of whether it's a factually accurate description or not!

John
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #164
Master Chef
 
crewsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SouthCarolina
Posts: 9,368
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
In SC, the liqueur stores must close at 7PM & the sale of alcoholic beverages are prohibited on Sunday unless you own a "private" bar. And we have the 100 yards thing here too.
But at least youre finally getting rid of the silly "little bottle" law!!

Welcome to the free pour world!

John
Tell me about it! Those mini bottles are only good for about one gulp for me.
__________________
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:45 PM   #165
Executive Chef
 
Bangbang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 3,150
I'm gettin a pot of strong coffee goin. This gloomy michigan weather is kickin my butt. :x
__________________
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #166
Certified Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Got it. It wasn't me guys. I was at work all day long 8)
so you say, I thought I saw you in that 18 wheeler cookin up to the north on the I-5, truck had Canadian plates.
norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 PM   #167
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'll share all my really good vodka with you if you don't tell anyone! 8)

Oh, and back on topic...I am going to make some tea because I am frozen!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #168
Executive Chef
 
Bangbang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'll share all my really good vodka with you if you don't tell anyone! 8)

Oh, and back on topic...I am going to make some tea because I am frozen!
I am listening. What kind do you drink.
__________________
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #169
Certified Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'll share all my really good vodka with you if you don't tell anyone! 8)

Oh, and back on topic...I am going to make some tea because I am frozen!
Secret is save with me, alix. I am sitting here drinking ice H20 and it is 39 out side and I have a window open. GO figure.
norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #170
Master Chef
 
crewsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SouthCarolina
Posts: 9,368
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I'm gettin a pot of strong coffee goin. This gloomy michigan weather is kickin my butt. :x
I started on the Smirnoff at 3:30 & have already had 5. It's time to fix some coffee here too.
__________________
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #171
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
Bang, I drink any that I can get my hands on, but right now I am trying out a new one made in Banff. Very smooth. Warms you right down to your toes. Hmmmmmm....maybe I should toss some in my tea?
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #172
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
Ronjohn, back in the day me and my buddies would actually drive to Detroit to get the good stuff at the Duty-Free store. If we wanted something like Everclear we would drive to Richmond, IN. Alix is right, lawmakers have WAY too much time on their hands! :roll:
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:55 PM   #173
Executive Chef
 
Bangbang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Bang, I drink any that I can get my hands on, but right now I am trying out a new one made in Banff. Very smooth. Warms you right down to your toes. Hmmmmmm....maybe I should toss some in my tea?
I just ordered some russian potato vodka. Should be here in about a week.
__________________
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:30 PM   #174
Certified Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Bang, I drink any that I can get my hands on, but right now I am trying out a new one made in Banff. Very smooth. Warms you right down to your toes. Hmmmmmm....maybe I should toss some in my tea?

I thought you were drinking New England Ice Tea
norgeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #175
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Ronjohn, back in the day me and my buddies would actually drive to Detroit to get the good stuff at the Duty-Free store. If we wanted something like Everclear we would drive to Richmond, IN. Alix is right, lawmakers have WAY too much time on their hands! :roll:
LOL!

My buddy has a bottle of everclear right now. Plus, I love the duty free store. I'll never forget the time we were unpacking after a ski trip to Blue Mountain, and got home and I unloaded a couple of bottles of Barcadi. Noticed we had brought a couple bottles of Cuban rum across the border. OOPS!!!

Drinking a nice cascade hopped pale ale right now - unfortunately, I can tell that the keg is read to kick out.


John
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #176
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Johnstown, Ohio
Posts: 2,525
When the keg floats and the tap coughs, bad news is on the way! :( Hope you have a back up!
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #177
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
got the wife outta the house, the baby to sleep, so i'm having a glass or four of rosemount estate shiraz.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #178
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
When the keg floats and the tap coughs, bad news is on the way! :( Hope you have a back up!
Alas, it's the last of it. It was supposed to just be a "clean out the stock" pale ale, but it turned out great! But I probably can't make it again! :(

I've got plenty of substitutes though...

John
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #179
Head Chef
 
ronjohn55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
got the wife outta the house, the baby to sleep, so i'm having a glass or four of rosemount estate shiraz.
Nice choice!!

Ever had the Penfolds Shiraz? We're fond of that one with Chicago style pizza..

John
ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #180
Master Chef
 
crewsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SouthCarolina
Posts: 9,368
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Hot chocolate with Irish cream & mini marshmallows. I'm on a little bit of a marshmallow kick today.
__________________
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are you drinking (again...) ronjohn55 Today's Menu 632 12-08-2005 04:06 PM
Good Eats Drinking Game GB Alcoholic Drinks 5 03-08-2005 03:55 AM
Whats your Poison? -DEADLY SUSHI- Alcoholic Drinks 87 09-09-2004 09:51 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.