What are you eating Friday January 14, 2022?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Dinner was chicken stir-fry and jasmine rice.

chicken_stir_fry_011422_IMG_9156.jpg

Mother-daughter day in Amish Country. After stocking up on cheeses and bulk spices, we ate at a small Amish restaurant off the beaten path. Loverly couldn't decide between the prime rib sandwich with Swiss cheese, and a side order of fresh cut fries, or the meatloaf dinner. I ended up ordering the meatloaf dinner so she could have some of each. My sides were mashed potatoes and green beans. Enough meatloaf and potatoes for Himself if he and Goober don't eat supper out.

Too cold and windy to grill so I pan fried a couple of burgers for us. They were topped with pickled peppers, cheese, tomato and purple onion.

Your stir fry looks tasty, mofet.

CG, have you ever had something called Ham Loaf in Amish country? I've always wanted to order it when we go to Pensylvania's Amish country.

We all has separate dinners tonight. My wife made a frozen cauliflower pizza, my son made a naked burrito bowl (that was freakin' delicious), and I'm about to have leftover chicken parm and ziti.

...CG, have you ever had something called Ham Loaf in Amish country? I've always wanted to order it when we go to Pensylvania's Amish country...
I don't remember seeing that on the menu, bucky. Himself said he actually had it in college. If the Amish version resembles college cafeteria food, he does not recommend.

Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it's a regular menu item at our fave Amish joint, Katie's Kitchen in Ronks, Pa..

EVERYTHING there is really good, and inexpensive. Rib-stickin' kinda food, as my mom would say.
And I love the bible quotes and religious well wishes written on the check as well.

Tonight, I made a soup, using some of that smoked venison, and 3 types of lentils, plus adding about 3 c finely chopped mizuna. I pressure cooked the meat and the lentils first, along with the seasonings, for 13 minutes, then let it release naturally. Then added the mizuna, cooked for 2 minutes, releasing it naturally, then served with a couple of corn tortillas.
Adding about 3 c of chopped mizuna to the chili type dish I'm making, with some of that smoked venison. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some lentil soup, with some smoked venison and some mizuna added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Your stir fry looks tasty, mofet.

CG, have you ever had something called Ham Loaf in Amish country? I've always wanted to order it when we go to Pensylvania's Amish country.

I grew up in Pennsylvania Amish country. Ham loaf was on our dinner rotation. I still make it from time to time. In fact I just made one a couple of days ago.

It’s easier than traditional meatloaf and really yummy. Makes great sandwiches too!

2 lbs ground ham
1 1/2 lbs ground pork
2 eggs
1 cup dry bread crumbs ( I use Pablo)
1 cup evaporated milk
Salt and pepper (I don’t usually add salt, because I feel the ham is salty enough. )

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard powder

Mix all ingredients except the last three. Form into a loaf and bake at 350 for 90 min.

Mix last three ingredients together and place on top of loaf during last 15 minutes of bake time.

I like to form my loaf in a pan that is full, so when you pour the sauce on top it stays on top and doesn’t run down the sides.

Pretty cool! Thanks Ksm. That actually looks really good, especially with the cider, mustard, and sugar glaze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom