What are you eating Friday the 13th of April, 2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
It’s supposed to be 80 degrees today but I feel like making soup. We’ll see what the day brings.

I thought it should be time to put away the soup kettle for the season, but Nooooooo

I went to the store this am and now have a pot of veggie soup on the back burner. Should keep me warm and toasty all weekend.

Hambone soup and freshly made bread. It's hot here, but we'd hardly ever have soup if we waited for cool weather. Funny how soup is becoming a trend tonight.

Last edited:
Soup won't be trending here until Sunday. It's supposed to be in the 30s and "yuck". That's an official NWS term, right? :cool:

I have a fine assortment of leftovers. Hopefully, by the end of the day, nothing is left over.

We ended up having wonton soup last night because neither of us was into a big meal.

So tonight it is meatloaf (already prepped and just needs to go in the oven), mashed sweet potato, mushroom gravy and still not sure of the veggie - whatever I find in the fridge I guess as it is cleanout day.

Well it is soup day! I have wing tips, a rotisserie chicken backbone and parsley stems from the freezer. Fresh leek tops, onion (skin on), carrot (skin on), celery, 2 chicken breasts, water and 32 oz. box of chicken stock simmering on the stove.

I took vac packed venison steaks and warmed them up in a sink of hot water, 120 degrees F, then DH grilled them for color on the outside. Served with mushrooms/onion/lemon/garlic/butter/salt. Mashed potatoes from the last of the potatoes we grew last year, reserving the growing parts to plant this next month. Corn that we pressure canned a few years ago on top of the potatoes, w/ a little butter S&P. Everyone was satisfied. The only thing we didn't grow or harvest (aside from s&p, lemon, butter) was the mushrooms. I tried to convince DH we ought to grow them this year but no, I'll try again next year.

We missed National Grilled Cheese Day, so that's what we had tonight.

Today we're doing bone in, skin on chicken breasts in the Sous Vide for the first time. I've salted and bagged them with fresh thyme and lemon slices.
I've read that there's no better chicken breasts and I read this whole thing if you're interested.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html
SC brought home some beautiful asparagus and I'll also be baking some loaded spuds.

Well, we had our first sous vide disappointment with chicken breasts. They didn't impress us and to be honest, I won't do them again, but now we know. I'll have lots of white meat chicken for casseroles and salad so there's that, as I cooked four big ones.
We prefer the full flavor of thighs, but I don't think they would benefit from sous vide.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNIRvyBbgzA

It's Aloha Friday, No Work Til Monday ... :LOL:
No for real, that's what we say in Hawaii! :D

Anyways, what's for dinner?

008.JPG

Leftover B/S Chicken Thighs ala Aloha Brand Shoyu (I put alot more fresh Ginger than called for , MMM!) along side my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee and Hawaiian -Style Macaroni Salad --- MOST ONO!!!

A hui hou, until we meet, ALOHA!

DH had golf & dinner with friends tonight, so I made a few yummies for myself. Cucumber/pimento salad with cucumber-lemon balsamic vinegar, olive oil, capers, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and Penzeys Mural of Flavor; cantaloupe and homemade pickled apples with Penzeys Pico Fruta; and a quesadilla with chopped salami, shredded mozzarella, Italian salad dressing and capers - I'm out of bread and needed some protein :mrgreen: It was really good.

Attachments

• 0413182029a.jpg
    0413182029a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 118
Well, we had our first sous vide disappointment with chicken breasts. They didn't impress us and to be honest, I won't do them again, but now we know. I'll have lots of white meat chicken for casseroles and salad so there's that, as I cooked four big ones.

We prefer the full flavor of thighs, but I don't think they would benefit from sous vide.

I was hoping you would post up your results, but sorry to hear about the disappointment. I have not tried chicken breasts. I have tried pork loin chops, also a lean white meat, and was very happy with that. I just didn't know if chicken breasts would fare as well.

I also agree that chicken thighs probably don't need sous vide. I tried burgers once, and did not notice any advantage. Maybe with super lean ground beef, but I use standard 80/20.

CD

Kayelle, Sorry you were disappointed. I do chicken breast Sous Vide all the
time, but I use boneless skin less chicken breast. Stevan and I both love
them. I tried using the bone in skin on when I started with Sous Vide 5 years
ago we were not impressed either. I urge you to try the boneless skinless ones
you will be shocked at the difference. I hate to see you miss out on something
so good because of a bad first experience.

Josie

Last edited:
Kayelle, Sorry you were disappointed. I do chicken breast Sous Vide all the
time, but I use boneless skin less chicken breast. Stevan and I both love
them. I tried using the bone in skin on when I started with Sous Vide 5 years
ago we were not impressed either. I urge you to try the boneless skinless ones
you will be shocked at the difference.
I hate to see you miss out on something
so good because of a bad first experience.

Josie

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement Josie. Do you use the small "flatish" breasts or the huge "Dolly" size ones? I always brine the big ones and slice them for chicken cutlets or cubes for nuggets.
On your recommendation, I'll give them another chance. ;)

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement Josie. Do you use the small "flatish" breasts or the huge "Dolly" size ones? I always brine the big ones and slice them for chicken cutlets or cubes for nuggets.
On your recommendation, I'll give them another chance.

Kayelle, You are most welcome
I always use the smaller ones. I find
the big ones can be stringy.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom