What are you eating Saturday 2/16/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Verde Chili Pork Pozole on the stove today. Mexican Cornbread will be on the side.

This took up a big chunk of the day because I chose to do something more involved this time. I found some meaty pork bones cut in small pieces at the Mexican market and bought 3 lbs because I wanted some really flavorful pork stock. I boiled up the browned and seasoned bones for 3 hours, and removed a good amount of meat from the bones, setting the flavorful broth aside. Then came the prep for the fire roasted peppers, and the pre soaked dried hominy. I broiled the meat to crisp it up and the usual onions and garlic were sauteed along with seasonings. Everything came together with a final addition of creamed corn in the mix.

It sure was tasty. :yum:
Hope I didn't bore anybody. ;)

Attachments

• P2160008[1].jpg
    P2160008[1].jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 140
Everything sounds and LOOKS fabulous gang, well Casey, not so much :rolleyes:

I think I found my inspiration for tonight's late supper.

“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded, and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit.” -- Julia Child

I don't think I can thaw a whole chicken that fast, but I have some thighs and a clever. :chef:

CD

This took up a big chunk of the day because I chose to do something more involved this time. I found some meaty pork bones cut in small pieces at the Mexican market and bought 3 lbs because I wanted some really flavorful pork stock. I boiled up the browned and seasoned bones for 3 hours, and removed a good amount of meat from the bones, setting the flavorful broth aside. Then came the prep for the fire roasted peppers, and the pre soaked dried hominy. I broiled the meat to crisp it up and the usual onions and garlic were sauteed along with seasonings. Everything came together with a final addition of creamed corn in the mix.

It sure was tasty. :yum:
Hope I didn't bore anybody. ;)
Looks delicious :yumb Gotta ask, though - where's the verde? I see rioja.

Again.....you all are killin' me with your wonderful looking dishes. :chef::yum: I'm still using up things in the freezer as per my New Years resolution, so nothing noteworthy to post about, let alone pics. :LOL:

I went out to lunch this afternoon for Chinese and couldn't finish it all, so brought home the leftovers for dinner. :)

Looks delicious :yumb Gotta ask, though - where's the verde? I see rioja.

Forgot to mention that GG...It was very green to start with all the green peppers and tomatillo's and then I thought it needed a little tomato paste for some sweetness. That's when the tube malfunctioned. :LOL: I think it was fate, as it tasted better then.

Forgot to mention that GG...It was very green to start with all the green peppers and tomatillo's and then I thought it needed a little tomato paste for some sweetness. That's when the tube malfunctioned. :LOL: I think it was fate, as it tasted better then.

I didn't even notice the color. I just wondered where my bowl was. :yum:

But, then I remembered you are in California. :(

CD

So, I thawed some boneless thighs, did NOT use a clever on them, but did use a meat mallet. :hammer:

Dredged in flour -- always guaranteed to make a mess, even done in a zip lock bag. Sautéed in EVOO and butter, with garlic (of course) and some capers. Served over spaghetti with the pan "sauce" and some grated ParmReg and fresh ground black pepper.

The kitchen isn't trashed. Everything made it as far as the sink. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

CD

Some of you may find this strange, but please don’t judge! It was actually very tasty!

I got some cheap frozen salmon fillets the other day. I made shiozake (Japanese salt salmon) with a couple of them. Saving one to put on bagels tomorrow morning.

I used the other one tonight, along with some frozen spinach and corn to make pasta (spaghetti, but any pasta would do) in a cream sauce flavored with a bit of Chinese five spice and powdered ginger. And a bit of garlic, of course!

It was very satisfying.

Dinner and a movie tonight: grocery fish department fresh fried haddock, Ore-Ida waffle fries, and Green Giant Niblets canned corn. Heated up a leftover biscuit from last night. Added a few grape tomatoes for color. Voila!
IMG_20190216_205558483.jpg

I picked up a couple of sandwich combos for my wife and son yesterday for lunch from a deli that specializes in unique sandwiches and bagels. I guess I'm getting cheap in my old age because I thought $9 each for a couple of slices of roast beef and cheese on a roll with a pickle spear and a small handful of chips was a rip off.

So, one my way into work I stopped at a great little inexpensive deli and bought a hero roll, ($1), a half pound of Boar's Head roast beef ($4), a half pound of Boar's head American cheese ($2.50), a whole deli pickle ($1), and a medium bag of chips ($2).

For $1.50 more, I had a huge combo that I could barely finish, and I still have more than 1/4 lb of cheese and some chips left that my son scarfed down as soon as I got home.

I'm cheap, but well fed.

Forgot to mention that GG...It was very green to start with all the green peppers and tomatillo's and then I thought it needed a little tomato paste for some sweetness. That's when the tube malfunctioned. [emoji38] I think it was fate, as it tasted better then.
It looks muy delicioso :yum:

I made a take on this Lebanese chicken braised with lemon and olives: https://www.maureenabood.com/braised-chicken-with-lemon-and-olives-and-smiles/

I replaced the seasonings with za'atar and Aleppo pepper and used capers instead of olives. I served it with the orzo and rice pilaf we've been enjoying so much, and a green salad. Oh, and a piece of crispy chicken skin :yum: Dessert was a chocolate from the box of handmade chocolates I traded for with a jar of honey. So good.
0216192022a.jpg2019-02-17-12-29-31.jpg

I made a take on this Lebanese chicken braised with lemon and olives: https://www.maureenabood.com/braised-chicken-with-lemon-and-olives-and-smiles/

I replaced the seasonings with za'atar and Aleppo pepper and used capers instead of olives. I served it with the orzo and rice pilaf we've been enjoying so much, and a green salad. Oh, and a piece of crispy chicken skin :yum: Dessert was a chocolate from the box of handmade chocolates I traded for with a jar of honey. So good.
View attachment 33662View attachment 33663

Oh boy! That's my kind of recipe GG! I'll be making it very soon.

Great trade with the honey for those gorgeous handmade chocolates. Thanks to your bees you got a great deal. Good job boys! ;)

Oh boy! That's my kind of recipe GG! I'll be making it very soon.

Great trade with the honey for those gorgeous handmade chocolates. Thanks to your bees you got a great deal. Good job boys! ;)
Just FYI, most of the bees are girls ;) The worker bees - tens of thousands of them - and the queen, of course, are all female. There are only a couple hundred drones (male bees) during the time when the queen does her mating flight. Then, their usefulness is over and the girls throw them out of the hive. It's a pretty violent society [emoji38]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom