What did you come up with for dinner Thursday, 11-1-2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I pulled out a piece of pork belly this morning that I had put in fridge to defrost Tuesday so I could prep today for dinner tomorrow. After I unrolled and weighed it, realized it was well over twice the size I needed for tomorrow night. So, I cut it into 2 pieces, prepped for tomorrow and went looking for ideas to use the other piece for tonight's dinner. I ended up making a rub of crushed fennel seeds and black peppercorns, plus fresh thyme, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Scored the skin well, massaged the rub in and let it set for almost 5 hours, then slow roasted on a rack for 3 hours, squeezing some lemon juice on it along the way, and added in some chunked potatoes along the way, and finished the meal by steaming some extra broccoli that was in the fridge. Came out quite good.

Attachments

• 2018-11-01 17.55.57.jpg
    2018-11-01 17.55.57.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
The protein tonight will be some of that BBQ beef I brought home from Louis Mueller's. I should probably eat some veg with that. Maybe some pasta and veg.

If I remember, I'll let you know what I did.

CD

Update: I just wasn't in a meat mood tonight, and was craving some pasta. The BBQ is vacuum sealed, so it will be good for a week or two, so I was able to do a quick pasta dish.

I sautéed some sliced red pepper from my garden, and some garlic in a mix of EVOO and butter, tossed in some penne pasta, and fresh basil from my garden, and some roughly grated parmigiano reggiano.

I sliced the pepper very thin, and tasted a slice. WOW!!! I used about a teaspoon of that pepper, and that was definitely enough.

I don't know about the rest of you who grow peppers, but here in North Texas, the ones we harvest at this time of year are HOT!!! It is not just this year, either, I always get my hottest peppers at the very end of the growing season.

Oh, thanks to all of the recent rain, my basil is amazing right now. It is usually on its last legs about now. Not this year.

CD

Pasta here, too. Aldi had grape tomatoes for 99 cents a pint and ravioli with smoked mozzarella. I roasted the tomatoes with crushed garlic, Italian herbs, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. We had salads, too...and I actually had time to eat mine while the tomatoes roasted.
IMG_20181101_215033934.jpg

Nice looking dinner CG. I haven't had raviolis in a very long time. A simple roasted tomato "sauce" is a great way to serve raviolis. I'm not sure about the vinegar... can't quite taste it in my head. But, I trust your judgment -- mostly. :huh::D

CD

Wet and dreary day so, we had grilled cheese and salami sandwiches with tomato soup.. Comfort food..

I made a chocolate pie for dessert.. :yum:

Ross

I had some skinnless, boneless chicken breasts thawed, so I beat hell out of them between two sheets of plastic wrap with a cast iron skillet, floured, egged and bread crumbed them, sauted them, melted mozzerella on top and served them with conchiglie, smothered with grandma's tomato sauce.

Last edited:
Baked spare ribs and no BBQ sauce for them? Horrors. So I made my own. Pirate keeps going in the fridge with a large spoon and taking another taste. And another, etc. I had a quart left over after the ribs were done. Not anymore.

Nice looking dinner CG. I haven't had raviolis in a very long time. A simple roasted tomato "sauce" is a great way to serve raviolis. I'm not sure about the vinegar... can't quite taste it in my head. But, I trust your judgment -- mostly. :huh::D

CD
Thanks, cd. It was tasty, too - including the camera-shy salad. ~ As far as the vinegar goes, it's just a splash. I used just under two pints of tomatoes and "blessed" them with no more than a teaspoon and a half. I looked online to see how long to roast them, since I hadn't done this for about a decade. None of the recipes called for vinegar. I made them sans vinegar last time (which was the first time), and Himself wasn't all that impressed. I thought I'd try again, what with the low price of the tomatoes - and the fact that Himself has adjusted to more styles of sauce than his Mom's long-cook, meat-filled red sauce. When I remembered my neighbor's friend had made them with vinegar, I decided to sprinkle it on. Either way, Himself really enjoyed it this go-around! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom