What do you like 'on the side'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Deadly sushi has created a thread asking what you like on your burger. Always a good topic, if you ask me.

I was wondering what you like 'on the side'?

I can do the french fries, especially if they are krinkle cut. A steak fry will do, as well. I don't care for shoestring or worse, those twisty curly fries:yuk:

My absolute favourite is a baked potato. Lou and I got turned on to this about 4 years ago (note: not that we'd never considered a baked potato with a burger before, but rather, it never seemed all that important....). There is a great bar in New Orleans on Esplanade called Port of Call. There is usually a line out the door till 2am, from 10am to get a table at this place. Seating is better at the bar. Anyway....they serve a huge burger, delicious burger with one side, and one side only...a baked potato. These potatos are the size of grapefruits and cooked to an airy perfection. The compliment the magnificent burger like nothing else could.

So, my favourite side would be a baked potato with a dab of butter, a dollop of sour cream and some chopped chives.

I can always appreciate a nice helping of baked beans, too.
Cole slaw is fine, but I really perfer fresh homemade to some of the stuff restaurants serve.
A pickle on the side will never be turned down.

And if I could get an egg cream (assuming this is a G rated meal) or an ice cold Abita Amber (for the :w00t2:meal) I'd be sooooo very happy.

What about you? What's on your plate?

My favorite side to burgers at home is my mother's macaroni salad - hands down!!!!!

If I'm out and there are homemade potato chips I'll take those or some nice crisp French fries - but I want malt vinegar!!!!!! I like GOOD potato salad and coleslaw IF it's made there and not bought already made - I don't like the preservative taste if they buy it!

Baked beans are good too - but they are always at "at home" item.

Vera, I'm sure at one time or another I've had a baked potato with a burger but I swear, right now I can't remember. There's nothing better than a good, soft, baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chives! Yukon Golds make great bp's.

I am not anti-chips, but they don't really excite me, so I would like a baked potato, but don't think DH would. He is a thin french fry man (typically I would prefer thick, or the curly ones if they are out of a packet). Home chips are oven chips...no frying them for me! Also, ketchup is for burgers, mayo is for chips. Unless they are cheesy chips.

For someone who doesn't like chips I am really fussy about them, aren't I!
Hold the fires, give me onion rings.....I last had them, maybe three years ago, but I do like them! (with mayo!)

kitchenelf said:
My favorite side to burgers at home is my mother's macaroni salad - hands down!!!!!

If I'm out and there are homemade potato chips I'll take those or some nice crisp French fries - but I want malt vinegar!!!!!! I like GOOD potato salad and coleslaw IF it's made there and not bought already made - I don't like the preservative taste if they buy it!

Baked beans are good too - but they are always at "at home" item.

Vera, I'm sure at one time or another I've had a baked potato with a burger but I swear, right now I can't remember. There's nothing better than a good, soft, baked potato with butter, sour cream, and chives! Yukon Golds make great bp's.

I've got malt vineger just for fries!!

lulu said:
I am not anti-chips, but they don't really excite me, so I would like a baked potato, but don't think DH would. He is a thin french fry man (typically I would prefer thick, or the curly ones if they are out of a packet). Home chips are oven chips...no frying them for me! Also, ketchup is for burgers, mayo is for chips. Unless they are cheesy chips.

For someone who doesn't like chips I am really fussy about them, aren't I!
Hold the fires, give me onion rings.....I last had them, maybe three years ago, but I do like them! (with mayo!)

If you ever get to visit Philadelphia, there is a place called Monks. In addition to have every Belgian beer you could imagine, they are famous for their mussels. Served with their mussels are the world's best pomme frittes. They come with a spicy/tangy mayonnaise based dipping sauce. Marvelous!

My mother is not the best cook but she does make killer homemade fries.

I also love onion rings with lots of mustard.

Gotta have homemade french fries or shoestring, w/ mircle whip ( don't like mayo) or malt vinegar, and good cold slaw! Yum, or oning rings w/ ketcup!! Love burgers DH does too- thankfully !!:-p

Crispy french fries. With Hellman's mayonnaise please. If they're soggy, I'll pass, thank you.

Lay's potato chips.

Macaroni salad made without sugar.

Cold beer, or Coke.

certain things require particular sides.

like steak fries with a burger (a baked spud would be second choice, with a lot more than a dollop of chive sour cream); doritos and a dill pickle with a ham and mayo on white sammich; baked lays potato chips with tuna salad and raw onion hero; cole slaw with a reuben; mashed potatoes, early peas and gravy with pot roast; white rice with chow fun noodles or boneless spare ribs (it's a textural thing, as much as it's for the starchy contrast, even tho it's carb overload); and of course good semolina or panne rustica with just about anything italian.

hmmm, will have to think of more later.

DH votes for homemade potato,bacon and egg salad, I like sweet potatoe shoestring fries or homemade macaroni salad..Chips will do in a pinch as will plain thin crispy fries and malt vinegar...Of course if someone insisted
i suppose beer battered onion rings would do..
kadesma :LOL:

I like crisp french fries with my burger... or freshly made onion rings. I don't remember having fresh potato chips with a burger, but my favorite NY restaurant makes some that would be perfect with a juicy burger.

No ketchup anywhere on the plate forme, please... :ohmy:

Whenever I make my own burgers, I would have a potato salad (mashed potato with chopped onion, parsley, red pepper) and lettuce & dill salad with vinegrette dressing as side dishes.

I like mine with a nice mixed salad (with some chopped raw oignon and celery) or mesclun. Simple EVOO and balsamic vinaigrette on the salad. And some home made mayo to go with the belgian "frietkot" style fries (ie. fairly thick sticks, bintje variety potato's, fried in beef fat).
A good beer on the side is always welcome :chef:

Mmm, moules frite and beer.....lovely. We have a chain called Belgo which has a huge variety of beer to drink along side your mussels.....I am a huge fan of their fruit beers, despite not being much of a beer drinker.

We go and get a couple of flavours each and mix and match. Again.....I tend to leave most of the chips...but VB that tangy mayo might help things along!

I have vinegar on chips when I have fish 'n'chips... thinking about it, those are the chis I like best, soggy chips, lol! I always have LOTS of vinegar and very little or no salt.

Other than More Burgers, probably just a beer :)
I tend to stack my burgers high anyway and they include all the major food groups, Meat, dairy, Carbs, and Chili Peppers :)

I like french fries and a very thick malt (milk shake if malts aren't available). Don't get grossed out, but I dip my fries in the milk shake - then a bite of burger! Yum!

Michelemarie said:
I like french fries and a very thick malt (milk shake if malts aren't available). Don't get grossed out, but I dip my fries in the milk shake - then a bite of burger! Yum!
I love fries dipped in shakes, and potato chips w/ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom