"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Brown or red gravy? I'm guessing brown. Have you ever tried pork neck in a garlicy tomato sauce (gravy)?

Dark brown roux. Super good. I'd be interested in the garlicy tomato sauce option.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Kay...funny that you mentioned adding Stove Top stuffing in your meat loaf as a filler. Just yesterday my daughter and I were chatting about meat loaf. She buys a box of Stove Top and stores it in a jar, adds some to her meat loaf, and makes mini meat 'loaves' in muffin tins. She adds no other seasonings, since the stuffing mix is already seasoned. They love it that way. I asked her about chopped bell peppers (which I love in meat loaf), but nobody else in her household (except my daughter), likes them so she leaves them out.

I've never tried it, so if you do, I'd love to know what you and the Sous think of it!

We just finished dinner Cheryl, and we agree it's the best full flavored meatloaf I've ever made. I think the Stove Top Stuffing made a big difference instead of another filler. I also added my usual mix of sauteed carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper to the two beaten eggs along with all the seasonings and stuffing mix before mixing in the beef/pork combo. It mixes a lot easier that way I think, without overworking the meat. I glazed it with a mix of ketchup and dry hot mustard. I'm sold on the ST stuffing idea.
Man, I can't wait for those sandwiches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2170010[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	33666  
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,239
This was my Chinese dinner night, though 2 days too late for Chinese new year.

That smoked chicken was fantastic, as always, though I remember now why I don't make it too often! lol
Finished tea smoked chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ants Climb a Tree has always been a favorite of mine - Szechwan dish, with ground pork, as a rule, though I used beef, because I have so much of it! It is tossed with soaked bean thread noodles - the trees, in this dish, and the ground meat is the ants.
Finished ants climb a tree. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had some stir fried baby bok choy, with the stems cooked about 4 minutes, then the greens just tossed until wilted, then a seasoning sauce added, to glaze it. This is the one dish we finished off!
Stir fried bok choy by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I usually don't have desserts with Chinese, but yesterday I made some purple rice pudding in my slow cooker.
Purple rice pudding, before adding coconut milk and pandanus leaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It's a SE Asian dish, but I figured that if anyone was still hungry, I'd have it. Both of my friends were saying that they didn't really want anything, but had to try it, after seeing it. She said to just give them one small bowl, and both would try it out of that, but once they tried it, they wanted more! They were trying to figure out what was in it, but most people haven't tried black sticky rice or pandanus leaves before! lol
Purple rice pudding. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm making a big pot of beef-veggie soup...I'm also thawing some homemade bread and will toast it to go with the soup.
I guess I'm the negative to your positive. I defrosted a tub of creamy chicken and wild rice soup to go with the fresh bread I made today.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190217_211446519.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	33667
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #25
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Pancakes and bacon for breakfast.

Dinner, while watching the Daytona 500, will be the left over ribs and chili beans from yesterday..

I put together a banana cream pie for tonight.. Because of the darn weather, I ran out of fresh bananas.. Used some that I freeze for Jeannie's smoothies.. I hope they don't affect the setting up of the pudding I made.. If so, we will drink the pie..

Ross
Ah, the Scrapyard 500. What was it, 22 cars in one wreck this year?

I tossed a burger in the cast iron skillet, seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, dressed it with white American cheese, lettuce and Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce. Side of double fried french fries.

Cliff Notes: Cheeseburger and fries.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 AM   #26
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
He couldn't wait for the race to end. So we dished it out and all I can say is it was good but not a repeater.
Oh, it may be a "repeater," but not quite the same meaning.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We just finished dinner Cheryl, and we agree it's the best full flavored meatloaf I've ever made. I think the Stove Top Stuffing made a big difference instead of another filler. I also added my usual mix of sauteed carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper to the two beaten eggs along with all the seasonings and stuffing mix before mixing in the beef/pork combo. It mixes a lot easier that way I think, without overworking the meat. I glazed it with a mix of ketchup and dry hot mustard. I'm sold on the ST stuffing idea.
Man, I can't wait for those sandwiches.
Now, you just need to try smoking your loaf, instead of baking it.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 12,545
Last Night's Pepper Steak !


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7258.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	33672

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7260.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	33673

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepper Steak 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	33674
__________________
“I come from a home where gravy is a beverage.”
― Erma Bombeck
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Ah, the Scrapyard 500. What was it, 22 cars in one wreck this year?
Yes... It was one of those races where I watched and tried to predict which fool was going to take out the most cars with one stupid move...

I was not disappointed..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,332
Looks wonderful! Can you post the recipes for the Ants Climb a Tree and the baby bok choy please.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
This was my Chinese dinner night, though 2 days too late for Chinese new year.

That smoked chicken was fantastic, as always, though I remember now why I don't make it too often! lol
Finished tea smoked chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ants Climb a Tree has always been a favorite of mine - Szechwan dish, with ground pork, as a rule, though I used beef, because I have so much of it! It is tossed with soaked bean thread noodles - the trees, in this dish, and the ground meat is the ants.
Finished ants climb a tree. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had some stir fried baby bok choy, with the stems cooked about 4 minutes, then the greens just tossed until wilted, then a seasoning sauce added, to glaze it. This is the one dish we finished off!
Stir fried bok choy by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I usually don't have desserts with Chinese, but yesterday I made some purple rice pudding in my slow cooker.
Purple rice pudding, before adding coconut milk and pandanus leaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It's a SE Asian dish, but I figured that if anyone was still hungry, I'd have it. Both of my friends were saying that they didn't really want anything, but had to try it, after seeing it. She said to just give them one small bowl, and both would try it out of that, but once they tried it, they wanted more! They were trying to figure out what was in it, but most people haven't tried black sticky rice or pandanus leaves before! lol
Purple rice pudding. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #31
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,406
Did a stir fry of chicken and veggies in a basic garlic sauce.

__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #32
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,208
Roast beef with gravy, cauliflower/potato mash, carrots/zucchini/yellow squash.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Did a stir fry of chicken and veggies in a basic garlic sauce.


You're so right PP..your food photo's have become just spectacular. All I need is some chopsticks to eat it right now....
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #34
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're so right PP..your food photo's have become just spectacular. All I need is some chopsticks to eat it right now....
Learning how to position the light and the software I use to capture images has helped a lot. I do need to slow down a little more and remember all of the steps. I forgot to adjust white balance before shooting this shot and had to do in post.

Its hard to cook and remember everything but I am enjoying the results.
__________________
My blog https://jamesstrange.com/
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We just finished dinner Cheryl, and we agree it's the best full flavored meatloaf I've ever made. I think the Stove Top Stuffing made a big difference instead of another filler. I also added my usual mix of sauteed carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper to the two beaten eggs along with all the seasonings and stuffing mix before mixing in the beef/pork combo. It mixes a lot easier that way I think, without overworking the meat. I glazed it with a mix of ketchup and dry hot mustard. I'm sold on the ST stuffing idea.
Man, I can't wait for those sandwiches.

Kay, thank you for the review of your meat loaf with Stove Top filler. It sounds really good, and I will try that the next time I make it! I'm with ya on the sandwiches....to me that's the best part of making a meat loaf.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #36
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Looks wonderful! Can you post the recipes for the Ants Climb a Tree and the baby bok choy please.
Here's are the recipes. The Ants climb a tree I cut in half, and still had some left, after serving three. The amount of bok choy I'm guessing at.

Ants Climb a Tree

8 oz cellophane noodles
16 oz ground pork, or other meat
5 tb soy sauce (I usually use half and half, light and dark)
1 tb sesame oil
6 scallions; sliced thin
6 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 inch ginger; minced
5 tb oil
2 tb chili paste with garlic
2/3 cup water
1 tsp black pepper; or to taste

A. Soak noodles in hot water 20-30 minutes, or 'til soft; drain. Rinse and set aside. Combine meat, 2 tb soy, sesame oil, and half the scallions in a bowl. Arrange remaining ing. on a platter.

B. Heat wok or large heavy saute pan over high heat 'til hot; add oil, swirl, and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat and SF until it looses all red, about 1 min. Add 3 tb soy and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and SF 1 min. Stir in water and remaining scallions.

C. Cover and cook 3-4 min. over med. heat, or until water is absorbed, turning once. Season to taste with pepper, and serve.

Stir-fried Bok Choy

1 1/4 lbs Bok choy
2 tb oil

Mix together, until dissolved:
2 tb thin soy sauce
2 tsp white rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp tapioca or corn starch

Cut the bock choy up, separating the stems into bite sized pieces, and cutting the greens into half or thirds (for the larger pieces). Wash them both, leaving some water on the greens, for steaming.

Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. When shimmering, add the stems, and SF for about 4 minutes, or until the pieces begin to brown on the edges. Add the greens, and toss for a minute or so, until wilted. Add the sauce mixture, and stir until thickened and glazed, and turn into a serving bowl.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Here's are the recipes. The Ants climb a tree I cut in half, and still had some left, after serving three. The amount of bok choy I'm guessing at.

Ants Climb a Tree

8 oz cellophane noodles
16 oz ground pork, or other meat
5 tb soy sauce (I usually use half and half, light and dark)
1 tb sesame oil
6 scallions; sliced thin
6 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 inch ginger; minced
5 tb oil
2 tb chili paste with garlic
2/3 cup water
1 tsp black pepper; or to taste

A. Soak noodles in hot water 20-30 minutes, or 'til soft; drain. Rinse and set aside. Combine meat, 2 tb soy, sesame oil, and half the scallions in a bowl. Arrange remaining ing. on a platter.

B. Heat wok or large heavy saute pan over high heat 'til hot; add oil, swirl, and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat and SF until it looses all red, about 1 min. Add 3 tb soy and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and SF 1 min. Stir in water and remaining scallions.

C. Cover and cook 3-4 min. over med. heat, or until water is absorbed, turning once. Season to taste with pepper, and serve.

Stir-fried Bok Choy

1 1/4 lbs Bok choy
2 tb oil

Mix together, until dissolved:
2 tb thin soy sauce
2 tsp white rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp tapioca or corn starch

Cut the bock choy up, separating the stems into bite sized pieces, and cutting the greens into half or thirds (for the larger pieces). Wash them both, leaving some water on the greens, for steaming.

Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. When shimmering, add the stems, and SF for about 4 minutes, or until the pieces begin to brown on the edges. Add the greens, and toss for a minute or so, until wilted. Add the sauce mixture, and stir until thickened and glazed, and turn into a serving bowl.
Thank you!
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #38
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Did a stir fry of chicken and veggies in a basic garlic sauce.





Easy for you to say basic garlic sauce. Doesn’t look basic to me ;).
Please share the recipe.
Thank you.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×