What have you eaten Sunday 2/17/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kay...funny that you mentioned adding Stove Top stuffing in your meat loaf as a filler. Just yesterday my daughter and I were chatting about meat loaf. She buys a box of Stove Top and stores it in a jar, adds some to her meat loaf, and makes mini meat 'loaves' in muffin tins. She adds no other seasonings, since the stuffing mix is already seasoned. They love it that way. I asked her about chopped bell peppers (which I love in meat loaf), but nobody else in her household (except my daughter), likes them so she leaves them out.

I've never tried it, so if you do, I'd love to know what you and the Sous think of it!

We just finished dinner Cheryl, and we agree it's the best full flavored meatloaf I've ever made. I think the Stove Top Stuffing made a big difference instead of another filler. I also added my usual mix of sauteed carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper to the two beaten eggs along with all the seasonings and stuffing mix before mixing in the beef/pork combo. It mixes a lot easier that way I think, without overworking the meat. I glazed it with a mix of ketchup and dry hot mustard. I'm sold on the ST stuffing idea.
Man, I can't wait for those sandwiches. :yum:

Attachments

• P2170010[1].jpg
    P2170010[1].jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
This was my Chinese dinner night, though 2 days too late for Chinese new year.

That smoked chicken was fantastic, as always, though I remember now why I don't make it too often! lol
Finished tea smoked chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ants Climb a Tree has always been a favorite of mine - Szechwan dish, with ground pork, as a rule, though I used beef, because I have so much of it! It is tossed with soaked bean thread noodles - the trees, in this dish, and the ground meat is the ants.
Finished ants climb a tree. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had some stir fried baby bok choy, with the stems cooked about 4 minutes, then the greens just tossed until wilted, then a seasoning sauce added, to glaze it. This is the one dish we finished off!
Stir fried bok choy by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I usually don't have desserts with Chinese, but yesterday I made some purple rice pudding in my slow cooker.
Purple rice pudding, before adding coconut milk and pandanus leaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It's a SE Asian dish, but I figured that if anyone was still hungry, I'd have it. Both of my friends were saying that they didn't really want anything, but had to try it, after seeing it. She said to just give them one small bowl, and both would try it out of that, but once they tried it, they wanted more! They were trying to figure out what was in it, but most people haven't tried black sticky rice or pandanus leaves before! lol
Purple rice pudding. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pancakes and bacon for breakfast.

Dinner, while watching the Daytona 500, will be the left over ribs and chili beans from yesterday..

I put together a banana cream pie for tonight.. Because of the darn weather, I ran out of fresh bananas.. Used some that I freeze for Jeannie's smoothies.. I hope they don't affect the setting up of the pudding I made.. If so, we will drink the pie.. :rolleyes:

Ross

Ah, the Scrapyard 500. :ohmy: What was it, 22 cars in one wreck this year? :huh:

I tossed a burger in the cast iron skillet, seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic, dressed it with white American cheese, lettuce and Whataburger Creamy Pepper Sauce. Side of double fried french fries. :chef:

Cliff Notes: Cheeseburger and fries. :D

CD

We just finished dinner Cheryl, and we agree it's the best full flavored meatloaf I've ever made. I think the Stove Top Stuffing made a big difference instead of another filler. I also added my usual mix of sauteed carrot/onion/celery/bell pepper to the two beaten eggs along with all the seasonings and stuffing mix before mixing in the beef/pork combo. It mixes a lot easier that way I think, without overworking the meat. I glazed it with a mix of ketchup and dry hot mustard. I'm sold on the ST stuffing idea.

Now, you just need to try smoking your loaf, instead of baking it. :chef:

CD

Looks wonderful! Can you post the recipes for the Ants Climb a Tree and the baby bok choy please.

This was my Chinese dinner night, though 2 days too late for Chinese new year.

That smoked chicken was fantastic, as always, though I remember now why I don't make it too often! lol
Finished tea smoked chicken. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ants Climb a Tree has always been a favorite of mine - Szechwan dish, with ground pork, as a rule, though I used beef, because I have so much of it! It is tossed with soaked bean thread noodles - the trees, in this dish, and the ground meat is the ants.
Finished ants climb a tree. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had some stir fried baby bok choy, with the stems cooked about 4 minutes, then the greens just tossed until wilted, then a seasoning sauce added, to glaze it. This is the one dish we finished off!
Stir fried bok choy by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I usually don't have desserts with Chinese, but yesterday I made some purple rice pudding in my slow cooker.
Purple rice pudding, before adding coconut milk and pandanus leaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It's a SE Asian dish, but I figured that if anyone was still hungry, I'd have it. Both of my friends were saying that they didn't really want anything, but had to try it, after seeing it. She said to just give them one small bowl, and both would try it out of that, but once they tried it, they wanted more! They were trying to figure out what was in it, but most people haven't tried black sticky rice or pandanus leaves before! lol
Purple rice pudding. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

You're so right PP..your food photo's have become just spectacular. All I need is some chopsticks to eat it right now....:yum:

Learning how to position the light and the software I use to capture images has helped a lot. I do need to slow down a little more and remember all of the steps. I forgot to adjust white balance before shooting this shot and had to do in post.

Its hard to cook and remember everything but I am enjoying the results.

Kay, thank you for the review of your meat loaf with Stove Top filler. It sounds really good, and I will try that the next time I make it! :chef: I'm with ya on the sandwiches....to me that's the best part of making a meat loaf. :yum:

Looks wonderful! Can you post the recipes for the Ants Climb a Tree and the baby bok choy please.
Here's are the recipes. The Ants climb a tree I cut in half, and still had some left, after serving three. The amount of bok choy I'm guessing at.

Ants Climb a Tree

8 oz cellophane noodles
16 oz ground pork, or other meat
5 tb soy sauce (I usually use half and half, light and dark)
1 tb sesame oil
6 scallions; sliced thin
6 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 inch ginger; minced
5 tb oil
2 tb chili paste with garlic
2/3 cup water
1 tsp black pepper; or to taste

A. Soak noodles in hot water 20-30 minutes, or 'til soft; drain. Rinse and set aside. Combine meat, 2 tb soy, sesame oil, and half the scallions in a bowl. Arrange remaining ing. on a platter.

B. Heat wok or large heavy saute pan over high heat 'til hot; add oil, swirl, and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat and SF until it looses all red, about 1 min. Add 3 tb soy and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and SF 1 min. Stir in water and remaining scallions.

C. Cover and cook 3-4 min. over med. heat, or until water is absorbed, turning once. Season to taste with pepper, and serve.

Stir-fried Bok Choy

1 1/4 lbs Bok choy
2 tb oil

Mix together, until dissolved:
2 tb thin soy sauce
2 tsp white rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp tapioca or corn starch

Cut the bock choy up, separating the stems into bite sized pieces, and cutting the greens into half or thirds (for the larger pieces). Wash them both, leaving some water on the greens, for steaming.

Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. When shimmering, add the stems, and SF for about 4 minutes, or until the pieces begin to brown on the edges. Add the greens, and toss for a minute or so, until wilted. Add the sauce mixture, and stir until thickened and glazed, and turn into a serving bowl.

Here's are the recipes. The Ants climb a tree I cut in half, and still had some left, after serving three. The amount of bok choy I'm guessing at.

Ants Climb a Tree

8 oz cellophane noodles
16 oz ground pork, or other meat
5 tb soy sauce (I usually use half and half, light and dark)
1 tb sesame oil
6 scallions; sliced thin
6 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 inch ginger; minced
5 tb oil
2 tb chili paste with garlic
2/3 cup water
1 tsp black pepper; or to taste

A. Soak noodles in hot water 20-30 minutes, or 'til soft; drain. Rinse and set aside. Combine meat, 2 tb soy, sesame oil, and half the scallions in a bowl. Arrange remaining ing. on a platter.

B. Heat wok or large heavy saute pan over high heat 'til hot; add oil, swirl, and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat and SF until it looses all red, about 1 min. Add 3 tb soy and SF 30 sec. Add noodles and SF 1 min. Stir in water and remaining scallions.

C. Cover and cook 3-4 min. over med. heat, or until water is absorbed, turning once. Season to taste with pepper, and serve.

Stir-fried Bok Choy

1 1/4 lbs Bok choy
2 tb oil

Mix together, until dissolved:
2 tb thin soy sauce
2 tsp white rice vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp tapioca or corn starch

Cut the bock choy up, separating the stems into bite sized pieces, and cutting the greens into half or thirds (for the larger pieces). Wash them both, leaving some water on the greens, for steaming.

Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over medium high heat. When shimmering, add the stems, and SF for about 4 minutes, or until the pieces begin to brown on the edges. Add the greens, and toss for a minute or so, until wilted. Add the sauce mixture, and stir until thickened and glazed, and turn into a serving bowl.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom