What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a sale at Fred Meyer yesterday for 2 containers (the smaller than a half gallon size) of ice cream for $5. So I fought with myself all the way up to checkout only to find the sale was for two days only and this was not one of the two days. BEEEP! Wonderful, so I'm not going to be chowing down all that ice cream. Works for me.

But then the manager, who happened to be standing right there, told the clerk to give me the sale price. Well, what's a poor soul to do in that case?

So my snack for the day (and tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that...) is a chocolate chip ice cream cone.

I'd forgotten how good an ice cream cone with chocolate chip ice cream is. But I better enjoy it, 'cause it's gonna be a long time till I have ice cream in the freezer again.

No. Between family history, though, and age (middle 60s), my health care provider just wants to keep tabs on it. Mostly, knowing what my A1c reading is enough to keep me in line. :LOL: My "wait for blood work" comment was tongue-in-cheek, since desserts days before a test doesn't mean much for a 6-month reading.

I think it was TaxLady that gave us the following site https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/a1c-calculator.html for checking our A1c at home. It says that it is not meant to replace any blood work that your doctor orders for your A1c. But just a tool to keep an eye on it at home. I use it all the time and it is a great help in letting me know what I did wrong.

Just the other day I ate a couple of cookies and forgot all about them when I took my blood. It was 208. That was a shock!!! So I did an A1c at the site and sure enough instead of being 6.1 as it usually is, it shot up to 6.9. Lesson learned. No more cookies for me. Thanks TaxLady for that site.

First of all, Addie, I don't need to check my sugar daily. Not even weekly. No monitor, nothing. See, no finger pricks! (holds finger up...) Besides, if I understand how an A1c reading is measured, it is the level of glucose in your system over an extended period of time. So two cookies eaten earlier in the day are not to blame.

Like my serum sodium levels, cholesterol, Vitamin D level, and all those things that keep the body humming, the A1c is just a routine test to make sure I'm still ticking. Just so long as real ticks aren't involved, I'm fine with it.

When I was first diagnosed, it hurt my fingers so bad that I had to take my blood from the cushion just below my little finger. Been doing that for years now. Then one day about a month ago I tried my finger. Aha! No pain. Now if I could just remember to do it every day, it would make a lot of folks happy at Winthrop. But they know I am never going to change, so they have settled for a couple of times a week. The only time I check my sugar is if a commercial comes on the TV for diabetes supplies or some other activity. It reminds me to check my sugar levels. Oh, oh. Now that I am thinking about it, I will go check it now. Thanks for the reminder.

No. Between family history, though, and age (middle 60s), my health care provider just wants to keep tabs on it. Mostly, knowing what my A1c reading is enough to keep me in line. :LOL: My "wait for blood work" comment was tongue-in-cheek, since desserts days before a test doesn't mean much for a 6-month reading.

True. Hopefully you will never get to the point where it becomes a problem for you, or have to go on medication for it.

First of all, Addie, I don't need to check my sugar daily. Not even weekly. No monitor, nothing. See, no finger pricks! (holds finger up...) Besides, if I understand how an A1c reading is measured, it is the level of glucose in your system over an extended period of time. So two cookies eaten earlier in the day are not to blame.

You're right, CG - it is an average of 3 months, a FBG (fasting blood glucose) shows what you are 8+ hours with no food. The only people who really need to check their sugars multiple times daily are people who are first diagnosed and people who are on medications for it.

Banana or dates with nuts (almonds, pecans or walnuts) but not too many dates, because of the high sugar there.

One more lately has been the coconut yogurt with GF granola sprinkled on top.

We had a little bit of vanilla ice cream left, so I cut up about half a cantaloupe, divided it between the two of us, and topped with the ice cream. Yum!

Sometime this weekend, I'm going to one of the 9 stores I'm shopping at this month and getting pistachios. I don't usually get them because they're so expensive, but they're on sale for a price I can afford. That will be a real treat for me.

I nabbed a chocolate milk shake today. It tasted wonderful and kept my niece company while she had hers.

I've been enjoying these Fiorucci meat-wrapped cheese sticks lately.

Although the package says "panino," that name would likely cause a lot of head-scratching among native Italians. :ermm:

Regardless, they're pretty tasty.

208499.jpg

Last edited:
I've been enjoying these Fiorucci meat-wrapped cheese sticks lately.

Although the package says "panino," that name would likely cause a lot of head-scratching among native Italians. :ermm:

Regardless, they're pretty tasty.

I like those. The prosciutto wrapped are great! Handy for taking to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom