What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if this is considered a snack, but I have been drinking an awful lot of "Polar 100% Natural Calorie-Free Seltzer". Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Am I doing any harm to my body? Would appreciate any info. on this matter.

I don't know if this is considered a snack, but I have been drinking an awful lot of "Polar 100% Natural Calorie-Free Seltzer". Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Am I doing any harm to my body? Would appreciate any info. on this matter.
It appears to be a good source of fluids with no issues. Keep on enjoying it [emoji2]

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbonated-water-good-or-bad

I've been snacking on Mt. Olive dill pickle spears. I also make homemade quick pickles and keep them in the fridge most of the time. Sometimes I want something a little different, so I have a store-bought one.

It appears to be a good source of fluids with no issues. Keep on enjoying it [emoji2]

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbonated-water-good-or-bad

I've been snacking on Mt. Olive dill pickle spears. I also make homemade quick pickles and keep them in the fridge most of the time. Sometimes I want something a little different, so I have a store-bought one.

GG, thank you so much for that article. That is just what I was looking for. Now I can enjoy without any worry. Thanks again and enjoy your pickles.

Thank you for that link GG. I drink a lot of fizzy water. I was mildly concerned about the possible effect on teeth, so I am relieved to read that it's not a problem and may have a number of health benefits.

Just a cautionary note about volume: make sure you don't drink so much that you flush needed nutrients from your body. I used to be a 100+ ounce tea/coffee/water drinking person back in the day - up until roughly two years ago. At that point, my PCP sent me on over to a nephrologist because my blood sodium level just would not get up to the minimum number of the "safe" range reading. The easiest treatment is to have the patient reduce their liquid intake. When he said he wanted me to restrict my intake to no more than 45 ounces a day I said "but I drink almost that much in tea before I get to my first cup of coffee!" Thankfully, keeping under 50 ounces a day (yeah, I cheated a bit) got my sodium level up to the good numbers. Hopefully drinking an "awful lot" of liquid doesn't affect you in the same way, but I thought I'd send out a warning from my own personal experience.

Just a cautionary note about volume: make sure you don't drink so much that you flush needed nutrients from your body. I used to be a 100+ ounce tea/coffee/water drinking person back in the day - up until roughly two years ago. At that point, my PCP sent me on over to a nephrologist because my blood sodium level just would not get up to the minimum number of the "safe" range reading. The easiest treatment is to have the patient reduce their liquid intake. When he said he wanted me to restrict my intake to no more than 45 ounces a day I said "but I drink almost that much in tea before I get to my first cup of coffee!" Thankfully, keeping under 50 ounces a day (yeah, I cheated a bit) got my sodium level up to the good numbers. Hopefully drinking an "awful lot" of liquid doesn't affect you in the same way, but I thought I'd send out a warning from my own personal experience.
Hi CG, just saw this. Good information to know. Thank you!!!

Re: the Polar stuff, what I have started doing is mixing it with a lot of other things that I like to drink. Like some of the Mandarin flavor mixed with real orange juice or pineapple juice. And the list goes on. You get the idea lol It sure beats drinking just water all the time.

Yesterday, I tried this mixing idea with some things in the refrig. Had a very little bit of piemento cheese spread left, added a little mayo, and a little of a bottle of Avocado salad dressing. Stirred together and used it as a dip for some pretzels that have been sitting around for quite a while. I felt like I had done my part for Wed. clean out the fridg. day. lol

Followed the link to this updated snack thread..

Lately I have been snacking on celery sticks with a mixture of cream cheese, peanut butter and bagel seasoning.. Love it..

Have had a craving for dips so, last shopping trip I picked up extra sour cream and onion soup mix.. That with wavy potato chips makes a dip we enjoy.. I just have to understand when to stop.. ;)

Ross

I'm another one of those who often gets a craving for dips, guacamole being my favorite in the summer, but I even make it in the "off- season" with frozen tomatoes and chiles from the garden (and when avocados are on sale!). Yesterday, I made a generous amount of another dip, that I based on an old recipe I got from one of Diana Kennedy's early books - a Yucatan pumpkin seed dip, which has a grilled habanero, some tomatoes, that were just boiled, but I grill some cherry tomatoes for it, since the habanero is grilled, and some chopped cilantro and chives stirred in at the end. The original recipe calls for unhulled pumpkin seeds, toasted, ground, then sifted through a medium strainer, to remove the hard bits, and it was actually better than using hulled pumpkin seeds, though I rarely do that (except with the butternut seeds I save up, from all those squash I use!). This time, I toasted some hulled pumpkin seeds, and extended them by blending in a can of rinsed cannellini beans - mild flavor, and the pumpkin seeds and habanero were the main flavors.

I often make bean dips with chipotle, and a morita or two thrown in, and maybe some grilled garlic cloves or slices of onion, and maybe some epazote in black bean dips. Often I add a spoonful of Greek yogurt. I make them in the Vitamix, thin enough to circulate, and totally grind up the chiles, then to thicken it, I add a corn tortilla or two, burned a little on an open flame on the range, and broken up into a few pieces. I eat some of these things with tortilla chips, but I try to eat at least half of them with celery sticks and carrot sticks, to get some more veggies with the beans.

Last edited:
CHOCOLATE. There are several candies I really enjoy. Reeses and Kit Kat are my current favs. In honor of Easter, I also have a bowl of jelly beans.

I always have, in the fridge, salami and various cheeses.. In the pantry, popcorn, asst nuts, pretzels and a couple of kinds of crackers..

Always enjoy snacks..

Ross

All you need is a bunch of grapes to call it good, K-Girl!

And wine. ;)

RIGHT CG?! That's what I said... I was kida sure we'd already eaten the Grapes, but I thought I had one more Apple, but no... and wine? My house is never without that! :LOL:
There's many a night that I don't feel like making anything and I'll ask DH,
"Is a snack plate okay for you tonight?"
It's most commonly followed with a nice dessert too though :ROFLMAO:
I'm like Ross, I almost always make some sort of Cheeses and/or Salami , Nuts, Crackers; something or another that I can easily put together a quick, hearty, meal-worthy meal and Mom's knows both of us well ;)

I keep Wiley Wallaby black licorice, Smoke House chocolate flavored almonds, and cut up carrots and celery on hand. Greek yogurt and fruit too. They may also stand in for lunch or dinner.

Last edited:
Medjool Dates

Never had them on hand before but recently have kept a pound of Medjool Dates in the icebox. One or two of them pitted and cut into half a dozen pieces each makes a very satisfying sweet snack that's fairly low in calories and contributes to daily nutrients. Sometimes I'm actually short calories at days end which is quickly corrected by dipping date pieces in homemade peanut butter. Was thinking last night that I'd like to try dipping them in chocolate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom