What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few days ago I made a batch of those Szechwan boiled peanuts, after that discussion about boiled peanuts gave me a craving. Those were gone quickly, and this morning I started another batch, this time, seasoning them like those at the top of this page, but adding one black cardamom pod, and also slow cooking them, this time on the medium. This way, these should be done by the time I finish with my garden, later in the day.

Last edited:
Made some blueberry cream cheese muffins.

39817-albums888-picture8584.jpg
[/IMG]

They look very good. Have you posted the recipe?

I tried something new. I made these individual cream cheese soufflés from Jacques Pépin. It was surprisingly tasty for such simple ingredients. I made it almost exactly as in the video. I used a soft cream cheese at room temperature, rather than whipped cream cheese, and I used 250 ml (a smidgen more than a cup) ramekins instead of the 3/4 cup ramekins, 'cause that's the size I have. I would have taken pix, but the tops didn't brown nicely in the toaster oven. They tasted great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZL7Ccn4VBk

I tried something new. I made these individual cream cheese soufflés from Jacques Pépin. It was surprisingly tasty for such simple ingredients. I made it almost exactly as in the video. I used a soft cream cheese at room temperature, rather than whipped cream cheese, and I used 250 ml (a smidgen more than a cup) ramekins instead of the 3/4 cup ramekins, 'cause that's the size I have. I would have taken pix, but the tops didn't brown nicely in the toaster oven. They tasted great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZL7Ccn4VBk

Now there's one I'd like to try!

I was just watching Jacques on You Tube the other day,
and was a little taken aback that he uses Pre-shredded Cheese now.
I seem to recall him being a big proponent of NOT using that ... :ermm:

Now there's one I'd like to try!

I was just watching Jacques on You Tube the other day,
and was a little taken aback that he uses Pre-shredded Cheese now.
I seem to recall him being a big proponent of NOT using that ... :ermm:

Yeah, like us, he is getting older and like me, he's taking some shortcuts. He also uses store bought chicken stock and chicken base. He sometimes uses canned beans, but mentions that it is cheaper to use the dry ones.

I used to stick my nose in the air about buying shredded cheese. But, that was mostly because of the price and the stuff they usually add to it to keep it from clumping. I still use the shredder attachment on my meat grinder if I want a lot of shredded cheese. But, I have found sources of shredded cheese that don't add anything to the cheese. I like to have some on hand all the time. Yes, it's more expensive, but it means I can cook something when I don't have so many spoons. So, it works out cheaper and healthier than ordering from a resto. I still grate Parm as needed. I usually use a microplane, but, for larger amounts, I have a hand cranked, fine shredder. It doesn't grate it as fine as the microplane, but it's good enough for most uses of parm.

I promise you, if I could get this here, I would. Apparently, the frozen food section of Danish grocery stores now has "rustic cut", frozen root vegis. I have a number of dishes that would go a lot quicker if I didn't have to peel and cut up those dense root vegis.

Back in the day, when most people lived in multi-generation homes, the kids would have done a lot of that prep work. It was part of how they learned to cook.

Yeah, like us, he is getting older and like me, he's taking some shortcuts. He also uses store bought chicken stock and chicken base. He sometimes uses canned beans, but mentions that it is cheaper to use the dry ones.

I used to stick my nose in the air about buying shredded cheese. But, that was mostly because of the price and the stuff they usually add to it to keep it from clumping. I still use the shredder attachment on my meat grinder if I want a lot of shredded cheese. But, I have found sources of shredded cheese that don't add anything to the cheese. I like to have some on hand all the time. Yes, it's more expensive, but it means I can cook something when I don't have so many spoons. So, it works out cheaper and healthier than ordering from a resto. I still grate Parm as needed. I usually use a microplane, but, for larger amounts, I have a hand cranked, fine shredder. It doesn't grate it as fine as the microplane, but it's good enough for most uses of parm.

I promise you, if I could get this here, I would. Apparently, the frozen food section of Danish grocery stores now has "rustic cut", frozen root vegis. I have a number of dishes that would go a lot quicker if I didn't have to peel and cut up those dense root vegis.

Back in the day, when most people lived in multi-generation homes, the kids would have done a lot of that prep work. It was part of how they learned to cook.

So true, so true taxy!

I use to buy pre-shredded Cheeses, but more and more, DH
likes to eat these same Cheeses out of hand. What I mean to say is
he likes say Parmesan in large chunks on a snack plate along
with some Olives, chunked Salami, some Crackers and maybe some
Grapes or sliced Apple too ... ohhh, I like some Smoked Almonds with mine :yum:
Many nights, that's dinner! :chef:

I just got this craving, so I took the three hard cooked eggs I had in the fridge and made a mini batch of devilled eggs. Yum

Since returning to my Mediterannean Grocery, I've been enjoying kefir cheese again. Sometimes with fruit stirred in, and other times savory with herbs and garlic or sauteed vegetables. Kefir cheese, or labne is similar to cream cheese but tangy.
IMG_20210709_161550267.jpg

Partly to show you guys, but mostly cuz I wanted a snack, quickly put together these Labne, cilantro, and zaatar on pieces of roasted pepper.
IMG_20210709_163211255.jpg
They need something extra so added a greek olive to the top of the last piece.

Last edited:
I've been having Greek yogurt (flavored for right now, will get brave and do a thing of plain with some add-ins later), fresh watermelon and cantaloupe, or frozen blueberries with half-and-half and Splenda. Makes it taste like blueberry ice cream.

Since returning to my Mediterannean Grocery, I've been enjoying kefir cheese again. Sometimes with fruit stirred in, and other times savory with herbs and garlic or sauteed vegetables. Kefir cheese, or labne is similar to cream cheese but tangy.
View attachment 47686
Partly to show you guys, but mostly cuz I wanted a snack, quickly put together these Labne, cilantro, and zaatar on pieces of roasted pepper.
View attachment 47687
They need something extra so added a greek olive to the top of the last piece.
I get the same brand of kefir at my local Mediterranean grocery store, which also has a small deli with wraps, desserts, an olive bar, etc. That's a great idea for a snack.

Back
Top Bottom