What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This morning, we decided that since we needed to go out at a
fairly early hour to pick up our Turkey for Thanksgiving,
we'd go out to breakfast, something we don't do very often
on a school day.
We went over to our favorite joint, just up the road a piece,
but they were CLOSED!!! No signage, now nothing,
but this is cowboyville and folks `round these parts do that
from time to time...

So I pulled out my trusty typed-out list of "places to eat out" from the glove box... we'd been to this place for dinner before, but not breakfast.

here's the good thing about this place...

sally b's.jpg
DH's Ham Steak and Eggs platter

sally b's1.jpg
My Denver Omelette and raisin toast

MAN! There's enough leftover from BOTH our platters for tomorrow,
YAY! I won't need to cook, simply re-heat, SWEET!

Looks delish, kgirl!

This morning's breakfast was a bowl of raisin bran, a cutie, a slice of toasted sourdough with orange marmalade, and coffee. :)

Man, that looks good, K-girl.

My mom used to put fried eggs on a lot of stuff as well. My favourite was her Norwegian Lapskaus. It was a dish that was somewhere between a very wet hash, or a firm stew. But it was always topped with fried eggs, the best part.

I didn't grow up topping dishes with an egg but, I do so now.. Adds something wonderful to so many things I enjoy..

As an aside....
Jeannie, who seldom cooks anything, makes the most marvelous fried egg sandwiches.. The flavor is something I can't describe and she can't explain but, I love her egg sandwiches..

Ross

Man, that looks good, K-girl.

My mom used to put fried eggs on a lot of stuff as well. My favourite was her Norwegian Lapskaus. It was a dish that was somewhere between a very wet hash, or a firm stew. But it was always topped with fried eggs, the best part.

Tom, could you sharethat recipe? It sounds interesting. I love a thick, hearty stew, that's how we like in Hawaii, but I've not thought to add a fried Egg before.

I didn't grow up topping dishes with an egg but, I do so now.. Adds something wonderful to so many things I enjoy..

As an aside....
Jeannie, who seldom cooks anything, makes the most marvelous fried egg sandwiches.. The flavor is something I can't describe and she can't explain but, I love her egg sandwiches..

Ross

I wonder Ross if Jeannie's secret to her Fried Egg Sandwich is the type of fat she uses to fry the Egg. My Great-Grandmother would use either Bacon Grease or Salted Butter and bast the Eggs :yum:

K-girl, I'll ask Mom to show me how she makes hers when she visits for Christmas. I've tried before, and mine sucked.

Over easy and over medium refers to the density of the cooked egg yolk.. I like mine over easy which means that the yolk is fluid when cut into.. Some like theirs over medium which simply means that the yolk is more solid.. Other like them over hard which means that the yolk is just about solid..

Ross

Thanks Ross. Over here we say soft or hard, which would mean runny or set. I am having boiled egg on toast this morning. The consistency of the egg is just right, yolk still soft, but not runny, and white white. It’s not always easy to get it right.

Gillian

001.JPG

brunch 12 24 2017.jpg

12 24 2017.jpg

For Sunday Brunch, which fell on Christmas Eve this past weekend, we had some leftover Prime Rib from our dinner out on Mom's birthday.
So Mom made the suggestion that we have Hash.
DH was like, "Um, I'm not sure I like Hash."
I said, not that kind from a can buddy, I'll make it fresh.
It was wonderful!

It is an xmas morning tradition in my family to have scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Over the last several years it has been my job to make the scrambled eggs. My dad cooks the bacon... in the microwave oven. Not what I would do, but it is still bacon. The toast is made by whoever isn't doing anything else at the moment.

I use a whole carton of eggs. Enough for all of us, extra for me, and even a little for psycho-poodle. That's his xmas treat.

CD

Glad to know that you had psycho-poodle with you, CD. He was like your own emotional support dog. ;)

Hey Bucky T, how did your Christmas go with the uninvited canine guest?

Glad to know that you had psycho-poodle with you, CD. He was like your own emotional support dog. ;)

Hey Bucky T, how did your Christmas go with the uninvited canine guest?

It is probably more accurate to say that I was his emotional support human. He is very much a home dog. He doesn't like being away from "his" house.

CD

Tom, could you sharethat recipe? It sounds interesting. I love a thick, hearty stew, that's how we like in Hawaii, but I've not thought to add a fried Egg before.

I wonder Ross if Jeannie's secret to her Fried Egg Sandwich is the type of fat she uses to fry the Egg. My Great-Grandmother would use either Bacon Grease or Salted Butter and bast the Eggs :yum:

She uses salted butter and s&p to fry her eggs.. She says she 'just cooks' the eggs but, there is a consistency of texture and flavor that I really like..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom