What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we get Corned Beef, on it's own, in a can, or freshly sliced, but I didnt know what the hash part was

Thank you.

I didn't do so well this morning for breakfast. Had 1 of dh's caramel rolls leftover from the cafe yesterday. :yum: I shouldn't even bring those darn things home!

Sell them as "Day Olds" at half price the next day. Then you won't be tempted to take them home. As kids, we all used to stop at the bakery around the corner and buy for five cents, the cake cookies, half chocolate frosting, half white. Ate it on the way to school. :angel:

I so loved this stuff as a kid:
Hormel® Mary Kitchen® hash

Andy probably made his from scratch. Or corned beef.

I still buy it every so often. Only I buy the roast beef hash. And like Andy, I have an egg with it. I keep the can in the fridge and then when I open it, I open both ends, push it out whole and slice a piece off. Wrap the rest up. I can get four or five slices out of it. :angel:

A friend gave us a whole smoked trout yesterday, so this morning I had an omelet with trout and cream cheese. Kind of a take on lox and cream cheese, I guess. Quite delicious.

CWS, I've tried to follow the example of your usual breakfasts -- greens & grains & eggs -- but have backslid. Pouring milk over cereal is just faster and easier. Yesterday at the store I picked up a box of a new Kashi flavor -- barley & oats, with chia & flax.

If you fans of those cheery little O's of oats would like to compare, the ingredients include whole grain barley flour; cane syrup; oat fiber; honey; flour made with 7 grains -- whole oats, hard red wheat, rye, brown rice, triticale, barley & buckwheat; flax seeds; whole oat flour; walnuts; chia seeds; canola oil; salt; vitamin E; vitamin C; baking soda; tocopherols for freshness; beta carotene; iron; folic acid; vitamin B6; zinc oxide; and flavors. It claims to have 2.5 g total fat; 60mg sodium; 60mg potassium; total carbs 24 g; dietary fiber 6 g; 7 g sugar; 3 g protein. Serving size is 3/4 cup, with 110 calories.

I haven't bought the General Mills kind for a while and don't know how this new cereal compares, but the Kashhi sounds pretty healthful. :)

Sell them as "Day Olds" at half price the next day. Then you won't be tempted to take them home. As kids, we all used to stop at the bakery around the corner and buy for five cents, the cake cookies, half chocolate frosting, half white. Ate it on the way to school. :angel:
Usually we cut up the day old ones & make caramelized bread pudding out of them. It's just so tempting on Fridays to bring 1 home for the weekend.:yum: :angel:

Usually we cut up the day old ones & make caramelized bread pudding out of them. It's just so tempting on Fridays to bring 1 home for the weekend.:yum: :angel:

Do you have "day olds" for sale? As a kid, every bakery in this town had them. Of course it wasn't that long after the Depression, so a lot of old habits were hard to lose. Most of the parents were children who grew up during the depression such as my parents. And they passed on those survival tricks to my generation. And I do practice a lot of them to this day. :angel:

A repeat of yesterday's breakfast--a large glass of beet-carrot-cucumber-kale-kiwi-celery juice (I can't seem to get enough of it and the girls love the pulp), two poached eggs on steamed kale and 1/2 c cavena nuda (Our Products).

Back
Top Bottom