What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh--it don't go through. Let me see if I can do this again. I had "pig slop."

Basically, I put 1-2 T of olive oil in a hot pan, toss in ~1-2 tsp mustard seeds. Wait until those "pop" and then I add 1/2 diced onion (the one I chopped today was the size of a softball), 2 large garlic cloves, 7-8 okra, sliced (if the okra is slimy, it is old--fresh okra is not slimy when you slice it and it doesn't get slimy when you cook it), 6-7 small eggplant, diced (I used striped, white, and purple), 4-5 tomatoes, diced, ~2 c cooked lentils, ~2 c cooked barley, 1 c white wine, 1-2 c tomato puree (mine was from the tomatoes I ran through the strainer--not canned, but one could use canned), 3/4 c white wine, 2T red Thai Curry sauce, some Sirraraz (sp), a pinch of ground cloves, corriander, cardamon. 2 ground curry leaves...1/2.lb of regular tofu...a dash of smoked paprika..let it simmer until the eggplant was tender....hmmm....think I best go have another bowl of pig slop.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting CWS
It is actually quite tasty--it just doesn't have a name. Oh, and I only put 3/4 c of white wine in--not 1 c and then 3/4 c. And, since it has veggies in it that I had to use up, and leftover barley and lentils, well, that's how it got its name. Other people make Kraft Dinner for lunch, I make "pig slop."

Pigslop does sound interesting, and I love the name! I used to make a dish I just called Slop. DH loved it, but for the life of me, I can't remember what was in it....

DH just reminded me, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables and cheese!

Last edited:
It is actually quite tasty--it just doesn't have a name. Oh, and I only put 3/4 c of white wine in--not 1 c and then 3/4 c. And, since it has veggies in it that I had to use up, and leftover barley and lentils, well, that's how it got its name. Other people make Kraft Dinner for lunch, I make "pig slop."

I haven't heard that expression since I was a kid. We had a pail that we would scrape the plates into after a meal. When it got half full we would mix the meal with it. It was for the pigs. "Put it in the Pig Slop pail." Everything went into that pail. Potato peelings, orange peals, etc. :angel:

I haven't heard that expression since I was a kid. We had a pail that we would scrape the plates into after a meal. When it got half full we would mix the meal with it. It was for the pigs. "Put it in the Pig Slop pail." Everything went into that pail. Potato peelings, orange peals, etc. :angel:
That's kinda why I call it pig slop--everything I had on hand went into it, and then I added the barley and lentils. I was going to put it on top of the barley, but decided to mix the barley in. I could call it Tomato - Eggplant - Okra Red Thai Curry. You will notice there is no meat in it, but lots of protein thanks to the tofu and lentils. I suspect it isn't very high in calories because of the veggies and tomato puree base, and I didn't use a lot of oil. If I hadn't put the wine in, it would have fewer calories, but I had to use up that bit of wine (or drink it--but it was at room temperature). I ate about 1 cup of it and was full.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Chicken Osaka, Asian Slaw and Rice, yes I ordered out today! Happy tummy!

I was gonna say "Show Off", then I saw you ordered out.... Glad it was good!

We had leftover chicken enchiladas and corn casserole.

I've made stromboli for dinner a few times in the last couple weeks. I always make 2 so there is leftover. It works great for an easy lunch. Just pop it in the toaster oven at work for 5-10 minutes. You have to guard it though so vultures don't swoop in and steal it!

Back
Top Bottom