What is for Dinner, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
hurricane bill is causing nasty weather. we got big wind/tstorm/rain for many hours last night. i have lots of running to do today including dentist. so i have no clue whats for dinner. i will see what looks good and on sale when i go food shopping. maybe takeout burgers to go with some salad stuff from the supermarket salad bar.

whats cooking by you?

I decided to have a go at cooking homemade beefburgers today for dinner and this was the end result :chef:

img_846628_0_92ad9402469083cd7e9f9ef947da8c12.jpg

img_846628_1_ea4548cf3bec383855f3d3ac7ef4fa5d.jpg

img_846628_2_ed198271d048ddedd8265783f85d1188.jpg

They actually turned out pretty tasty but next time I'll use less herbs. I decided to use more herbs because the beef mince wasn't the best quality and next time I'll buy a better mince and maybe just season lightly. I'll post the recipe soon but for now you can see it here

I decided to have a go at cooking homemade beefburgers today for dinner and this was the end result :chef:

img_846665_0_92ad9402469083cd7e9f9ef947da8c12.jpg

img_846665_1_ea4548cf3bec383855f3d3ac7ef4fa5d.jpg

img_846665_2_ed198271d048ddedd8265783f85d1188.jpg

They actually turned out pretty tasty but next time I'll use less herbs. I decided to use more herbs because the beef mince wasn't the best quality and next time I'll buy a better mince and maybe just season lightly. I'll post the recipe soon but for now you can see it here

WOW... I am still amazed at the camera your phone has!!
chock.gif

How did you get your mouth around those sandwiches???
laugh.gif

I didn't check out the website yet. They look great and stunning picture! :chef:

I'm not sure. I'm using the leftover cheese sauce from last night's mac-n-cheese to either make that again.. or have it over broccoli/cauliflower... not sure what else I'll have.

LOL, that is a fine looking burger! Dinner here is going to be an seafood gumbo with red beans & rice and cornbread. I've got plenty of left over shrimp from last nights dinner to use along with halibut, crab meat and some oysters.

We got a good sale price on dry pack sea scallops again today so that's what's on the menu. Either a tossed salad or cole slaw on the side.

nice burgers JJ. btw you have never made burgers before? i usually just form and then spice and cook.

dentist took longer than i thought and i am in pain!! it started to pour so hard everything flooded. so i didn't do any errands or food shopping. so dinner will probably be broccoli and pasta. i'll go food shopping tomorrow.

WOW... I am still amazed at the camera your phone has!!

How did you get your mouth around those sandwiches???

I didn't check out the website yet. They look great and stunning picture!

Oh sorry I forgot to say we got a new camera on Wednesday :D I meant to say to you but forgot! A friend at work wanted to get rid of his Digital SLR so we decided to buy it off him and we're very pleased with the results. It's a Canon EOS 350D. Ellen is enjoying playing around with it very much and learning new things each day so it's all good :)

Don't worry my mouths not that big :LOL:

I decided to take some photos the food during the cooking process so you'll have to take a peek VB :)

I'm not sure. I'm using the leftover cheese sauce from last night's mac-n-cheese to either make that again.. or have it over broccoli/cauliflower... not sure what else I'll have.

I would be having the mac n cheese as that looked delicious :)

LOL, that is a fine looking burger!

nice burgers JJ. btw you have never made burgers before? i usually just form and then spice and cook.

Thanks MM :). I know it's shocking but to be honest although I've always been into food I've never been that creative in the kitchen or adventruous and always stuck to quite boring things but since joining this site it's really inspired me hence why I'm doing things now for the first time......thanks to all of you :D

dentist took longer than i thought and i am in pain!! it started to pour so hard everything flooded. so i didn't do any errands or food shopping. so dinner will probably be broccoli and pasta. i'll go food shopping tomorrow.

I hope you're feeling better soom MM.

fried chicken livers, not sure what will have with them. maybe rice and green beans or some other veg. i love chicken livers and always fry a bunch just for me. ..applesauce bars for dessert.

I'm experimenting tonight. My best friend called me up from the road and asked me to whip up a fish cake recipe for him so he can entice his 5 year old daughter to eat adult food.. so I came up with a recipe quick based on potatos, 1 egg, some milk, some saltines, and a pound of whitefish, coated in more saltines and baked in the oven. The crunchiness on the outside and the chewy inside should appeal to all ages.

For me, I'm experimenting tonight. I'm trying to eat healthier, so I picked a few ingredients from the pantry and I'm working to make a healthy burger. I have barley, black beans, mushrooms, squash, and flounder. my goal is to make a seafood burger without the taste of the sea, but with the taste of the garden and with the added benefit of protein from fish. I'm not a vegetarian, but I am ready to give up red meat, pork, and poultry for a time and just focus on veggies and healthy seafood.

I'll post later if my cooking experiment was a success, as I"m winging it tonight.

addendum 1:

I'm in the process of making my healthy burgers, and I'm finding the process of "just throw it in and gauge the proportions" to be a harder task than I thought. Sofar it just means I have a bigger batch. I have my black beans, barley, onions, and garlic finished in a sticky mess in one pot (also added several pieces of home baked 100% whole wheat bread as a thickener). I'm cooking the fish seperate now and about to combine in a few minutes to see if it will be thick enough to form patties. if not, I have a bit more experimenting to go to keep flavors high and calories low.

<short pause for a kitchen run>

all is combined, and I think next time I'll save the whitefish for the final fold in. I had to add quite a bit of thickener to keep the patties at a minimum formable density. letting it set helped, but I added some brown rice flour to add flavor and thicken, the healthy way. I'd have used arrowroot if I actually had some. that's one starch I go through almost as much as tapioca for pie baking. I also added 2 eggs for binding. its a very large batch, easily 8 to 12 burgers, so 2 eggs work without overpowering.

I formed the patties by using a big spoon, then dropping the mixture into a bowl of mixed breadcrumbs...wheat and seasoned italian. In the future I want to work on a system where I can cut calories without the white flour. By dropping the spoonfuls in, I can hand work them with the breadcrumb crust into patties.

I placed six on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray(and covered with aluminum foil). 350 for 20 minutes, then I check em. :)

Sofar it all looks good, and it tastes good! the fish unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) integrated with the mix so you can't tell its there except for the vague flavor. I seasoned with italian seasonings plus the italian crumbs, to try to disguise the fish and have a generic italian meat substitute patty. Since this is my first time making a non-red meat or poultry or pork substitute for red meat, I have high hopes.

<another kitchen break as the patties bake>

My friend got back to me on his fish patty recipe I gave him. his daughter loved it. They came out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside due to the potatos, and it was a good dinner.

OK, the results of my burger experiment!

MIXED RESULTS.

The final product holds together well, but the texture is a bit gritty due to the overuse of brown rice flour. I needed to cook it first, which I did not. If I had arrowroot or even used normal flour, the texture issue would have been avoided.

Flavor...very good! aside from a slight grit, the taste is fantastic. I get a sense of mushroom and beans, with the crunch of the barley. I even get a faint flavor from the flounder.

Recipe viability for the future: HIGH

I can modify my experiment a bit to remove the gritty taste, and also add the fish in later on to provide a better texture with larger chunks of fish instead of having it pureed in. Or as an alternative, I may add in pureed shrimp/scallops for protein, and fold in a smaller amount of flounder on top to provide visible chunks.

I think my garden burger idea could also benefit from more veggies ,although moisture needs to be taken out. green peppers and squash would work in well with the onions and garlic and mushrooms. I just have to reduce the moisture more, or compensate it without adding a bad texture to the mix.

I did find the second batch of six came out better as I made the patties thicker. 350 degrees for 20 minutes, fliped halfway through, works well for a nice THICK patty.

I'll come up with a formal recipe the next time I attempt this, as I have plans on refining the recipe that's currently stirring in my head. I need to find someone to feed these to, as I bet I'll make the second batch tomorrow so I don't forget. LOL.

That's my saturday night dinner. home made protein burgers based on whitefish, black beans, barley, and mushrooms(whitecap and portabella caps). definately good enough to feed the healthy eater, and perhaps good enough for vegans who allow fish? :)

-Matt F.
Self proclaimed Gourmet who is redefining the term to mean "cooking with fresh, simple ingredients, in creative ways."

Sorry for my brainstorming as I type style. :P Its how I get my ideas, and I thought I'd share a rambling with y'all tonight.

Thanks MM :). I know it's shocking but to be honest although I've always been into food I've never been that creative in the kitchen or adventruous and always stuck to quite boring things but since joining this site it's really inspired me hence why I'm doing things now for the first time......thanks to all of you :D
I hope you're feeling better soom MM.
thank you JJ. my gum still hurts but it's better.

(this is an old picture of Linguini with Broccoli Aglio Olio) we had this for dinner only with Barilla Piccolini - Mini Fusilli instead of linguini.

img_846703_0_54cc0183ab02872f9f1071db50a83af4.jpg

Dad and I had our usual hot dogs with fried onions. I hadn't had this for dinner for years and since he has moved in we have it almost every Saturday night, usually sitting in front of the TV watching some sport or other (these days it is Canadian Football or baseball). It brings back such memories of my childhood.

we had guests last night,2 of my brothers and youngest sister.I made a whole lot of tandoori chicken with bone-in chicken pieces,sweet and sour chicken and vegetables,chicken,veggie and egg fried rice.For dessert we had snicker doodle cookies that my sis had baked and brought,and some gulab jamuns.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom