What is your favorite grocery store chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a market here in my part of WA state that specializes in many different types of cuisines. It's called H-Mart, and I have yet to go there. I would love to try cooking many ethnic meals.

There are H-Marts here in our area as well, but so far I haven't been able to visit one yet. I've seen reviews of them though, & apparently the quality/cleanliness/variety differs from store to store.

My favorite was Vons. I miss Vons. It was a great store and you didn't have to have a card to get discounts. Here I like Harris Teeter but I shop at Walmart. I just can't afford HT and I can get so much more for my money at Walmart.

There are H-Marts here in our area as well, but so far I haven't been able to visit one yet. I've seen reviews of them though, & apparently the quality/cleanliness/variety differs from store to store.
I don't know about this particular store, but the lady I work with thinks it's great. I guess I'll find out when I actually go.

We go to ShopRite on Wednesdays because they offer 5% senior discount. I don't really like ShopRite that much , prefer Wegmans which is about 1/2 hr away but they don't offer discounts for seniors. There is also a Weis/Mr.Z's near us, they also offer 5% discount on Tuesdays but their prices are higher.

My vote also goes to Publix, a Florida-based regional chain which only has stores in the Southeast US. Not only is it well-stocked and well-managed, but they been listed by Fortune magazine as one of the "100 Best Places to Work in America" every year since the list was created in 1998. Out of those companies, it is also listed as one of the top 25 best paying companies. It is one of only three companies on the list with more than 100,000 employees. It is a privately-held company and most, if not all, of its stock is owned by its employees. It's also consistently one of the top ten annual United Way donors in the nation and is also listed by Fortune as one of "America's Most Admired Companies". In short, it's a class act in every respect.

For great meat/fish/poultry I go to Bristol Farms or Gelson's
Trader Joe's - for just few things_ I go every other month or so, don't get the big deal about them.
Costco for my coffee/wine/vodka
Stater Brothers for staples.

Here, Manor, Migros, Coop! But then again, that's probably all there is. I could always go to the weekly market for fresh veggies, fruits in season salami, ham fresh eggs and other etc's.

Safeway is a bit on the pricey side when compared to other local markets here, but I do shop there specifically for several things: bagged baby Arugula, which is one of my favorite greens for salads & cooking which no one else carries; Safeway's own brands of things like pasta sauces, frozen appetizers, & other own-brand products, which frequently surpass national brands in terms of price, taste, & quality; & their deli-sliced Mesquite-Smoked Turkey, which, at $8-something per pound, I'm almost ashamed to admit, we buy for one of our cats, who is a true whore for it - lol!!!

I pretty much do most of my shopping at Wegman's, Whole Foods, and Costco. I go to Trader Joes occasionally (their meat is hit or miss). We have other chains in Northern Virginia like Giant, Bloom (Food Lion), and Safeway. Safeway is ok...I hate Giant and Food Lion. We have some warehouse type grocery stores...like Shoppers (YUCK!! :sick:). I hit up an international store called Grand every once in a while...I like it for a few things but I am not into fish and seafood and the place stinks a little to me because of the seafood area.

My favorite is Wegmans but I don't shop there often. The closest stores Shoprite and Mr. Z's (Weis) are not really my favorites but they are near by. There is a Giant , and Aldi, about 20 min. away. I haven't been to either store in a long time. There is also a Redners , half hour away, haven't been to that one in years. We shop at Sam's club about every 2 months or so, depends when the cat litter runs out. There isn't a Costo, Trader Joe's around, way too far, about 2 hr. drive or more.

Smiths, their prices usually beat all others. Our Safeway is expensive, and Albertsons, well I don't like to go there. A while back I was in a check out line there and this guy was crowding me badly. I was concerned about personal space and his ability to look over my shoulder at my checkbook. I asked him politely to move over and give me space. He AND the checker thought that was pretty funny and laughed at me. I won't go back.
i do admit to buying groceries at Wal-mart, they have Cabot cheese, can only get it there, as well as a flour from Montana that I like. Their prices for processed food (hot dogs, sandwhich meat, cheese, pkg stuff) beats everyone else.
There is a small, family owned, historic grocery store in town, Grant Street, that has the best imported cheese in the state.

Trader Joe's, but out here in the stix we don't have one.
so it's either HyVee, Hen House or the old standby, the Super Wal-Mart.

I spent three years totally on the road, so have cards for about 25 grocery chains! Overall I'd go for Publix and the Safeway chain (that includes a lot of other stores). Yes, I love Trader Joes and .... oops, the name escapes me. The store in Madison that is "all natural". When living in DC I loved Sutton Place Gourmet, but it was a treat, like other women would like a candy store. I took my parents there, and they reacted like I would. I guess I know where I came from. Here I have three choices (yes, I live in very small town midwest): Piggly Wiggly and WalMart. If I want to spend half a day grocery shopping, I can go to Hi-Vee (and I do on occaision because they carry some of my ethnic choices).

1. Central Market
  2. Market Street
  3. Tom Thumb
  4. Publix
  5. Kroger Signature
  6. Albertsons
  7. Winn Dixie
And that list gets reversed depending on money situation :)

I do most of my shopping in a fairly small supermarket called Billa which isn't anything special but my favourite store here in Moscow, Russia has to be Eliseevskiy located on one of the main streets. It's extremely posh looking inside and you know you're getting top quality produce. The other good reason for me shopping there is you can get many foodstuffs imported from England and America so I don't have to live without some of my favourites :D

shop2.jpg

shop6.jpg

shop5.jpg

meat.jpg

fish1.jpg

If you're interested here's a little piece of history and info about the store

Åëèñååâñêèé ìàãàçèí

Back
Top Bottom