What is your favorite kind of apple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite apple for cooking or eating? Make more than one choice!!

• GRAVENSTEIN - Famous for applesauce, pies and juicing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like Spartans for eating, and Granny's for everything else. Although give me a Granny with some old cheddar and I am a happy snacker.

My favorite apple

My favorite apple is called a Pacific Rose from New Zealand. You cannot get them in the U.S. but a certain time of the year.

I'm about done with trying to choose my favorites of anything. I find that it depends on the weather, my mood, what I want to use the food for, etc. I have no true favorites, except of a favorite cheddar cheese, and a particular flavor in my milk, which seems to be determined by who knows what, as the flavor varies slightly from plastic jug to plastic jug. Maybe it's the feed, the breed, who knows. I'm not a dairy farmer.

I truly love most foods and am not particular to one type over abother. If I absolutely had to choose, it would be apples from the trees located in the yard where I lived as a child, on the river. They were'nt perfectly colored, having a mixture of green, yellow, and red all over. The flesh was crisp, not as tart as a Granny Smith, and not sweet like the Deliscious varieties. They made great pies, and were wonderful eaten green, with some salt, or ripe.

The closet thing I can find at the store is the Jonathon. And the more exotic varieties weren't available when these trees were planted in Upper Peninsula Michigan.

But then again, I was a boy, eating an apple, cold and crisp, picked fresh from the tree, smelling the grassy fields and the nearby forests, not to mention the cool vapor from the river. I think earthworms might even have tasted good under those conditions, well maybe not earthworms. They're about the most vile thing I've tasted to date, but that's another story. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

kitchenelf said:
Pink Lady - mmmmmmmmm - my favorite. I wish I could get a bigger variety here - Sierra - if you like Pink Lady I really wish I could try the Arkansas Blacks

Never heard of the Arkansas Black. Are they black?

PeppA usually buys Red Delicious apples for the kids. Personally, I like to eat Gala apples, as that's what we get at work. Nice and tangy. For baking, I like to mix equal parts of Granny Smith and MacIntosh apples, for flavor and texture.

Bangbang said:
Never heard of the Arkansas Black. Are they black?

Arkansas%20Black.jpg

Originated from a Winesap seedling in an orchard in Bentonville, Arkansas in 1870. Arkansas Black is a beautiful dark red to almost black apple and considered to be one of the best storage apples. The fruit ripens late November and is rock-hard when harvested, but softens and improves in flavor in storage. Fruit is medium-sized and slightly conical in shape. Yellow flesh is firm, fine-grained, crisp, moderately juicy, and sprightly subacid in flavor.

SierraCook said:
My favorite apple for pies is the Granny Smith. For eating I like to eat the Pink Lady or Arkansas Black. What is your favorite kind of apple and what do you like to cook with it?
My favorite apple both for eating and for pies, of course, is the McIntosh apple. I also like Red Delicious and some other kinds of apples. Granny Smith apples are too tart for me, which is why I don't use them for eating or for pies.

My favorite apple is a local NY apple called Mutsu's Mother. It's a yellow apple, very crisp, and very, very sweet. I also like its offspring, Mutsu, which is green, very crisp and more tart than sweet. Together they are perfect for pies and tarts. Mutsu is the better baker.

Honey Crisp. Appear mid-late fall. Worked in the produce section in a western pennsylvania grocery store for year....def. my fav.

I love Winesaps - hard crunchy and tart!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They're all the perfect occasion for this red-as-red-wine favorite, a beauty of an apple that looks terrific on store displays and at home in wreaths, fruit bowls, and cheese platters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But gorgeous as Virginia Winesap apples are to look at, they're even better to eat - tart, tangy, juicy, and extra firm.[/FONT]

Apples

I like Granny Smith's year round & then NY Empire apples in the fall. Empires are hard, crisp & a bit tart with a thinner redish skin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom