What is your favorite kind of apple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite apple for cooking or eating? Make more than one choice!!

• GRAVENSTEIN - Famous for applesauce, pies and juicing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Granny smiths for my apple pies or caramal apples!
Golden delish for snacking!

Granny Smith is definitely the all-rounder apple. Favourite for cooking and eating out of hand, love its tartness. Slices of Granny Smith apple with a good strong cheddar...delicious! Or a chewy italian bread spread with cream cheese, apple slices and some sultanas, also good.

Most times when I'm looking for a general eating apple though I always find myself reaching for Pink Ladies. They are always consistency good, and hard to find a floury one like the occasional Red Delicious.

I like and use granny smith for baking , for eating out of hand I have Gala and Fujii apples in my yard, both are great..The Fujii ripens first the Gala a week or two after..They keep us well supplied..The kids love to go out and climb on a box and pick one out themselves...:)

kadesma

SierraCook said:
Kadesma, I see that you like Arkansas Blacks. I first tried one a couple of years ago. My mom and I shared a box of them from Apple Hill in Camino, CA.
SC,
I've only had the blacks once, and I loved it..I haven't been able to find it, but, I'm going to ask at the market I shop at. They have a get it for you board...Of course, when and If I come home with apples, I'm going to get some strange looks with two trees in the front yard:LOL:
kadesma

Pink Lady - mmmmmmmmm - my favorite. I wish I could get a bigger variety here - Sierra - if you like Pink Lady I really wish I could try the Arkansas Blacks

Gala is my all around favorite. I use them for whatever I'm making, but I never make apple pies. My grocery store has them just right - I don't know what kind they use, but they are a bit tart, cooked well, but still a bit crisp.

I didn't know they had granny smith's in the US, I thought it was just in Australia! We used to drive past he church where Granny Smith was buried but they moved her to put in a road! (progress?) I like doing the story of Granny Smith and how she found the apples with younger children at school.

I voted 'other' - not just because I have other favourites, but also because I've never heard, never mind eaten, some of the choices!!!

My favourites are

Worcester Pearmain
Cox's orange pippin
Braeburn
Dunn's seedling

And for cooking: the premier UK cooking apple Bramley!

I didn't already know that there are many apple types or special apples... So I couldn't choose.. But I like green apples...

I like all apples but I chose Granny Smith & Golden Delicious. I love to core Granny Smiths & fill them with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, & nutmeg & then bake them until they are soft & the filling is all bubbly.

I chose Granny Smith because I love using them in baking and eating them with a big scoop of peanut butter. But I'd be happy eating anything other than red delicious.

I enjoy Gala and Johnny Gold's (I believe that is the right name), I only had them once but they were fantastic.

I rarely buy anything else except Braeburns. Crisp, juicy and slightly tart, but with a thinner skin than Granny Smiths (whose skins are way too thick and tough for my liking).

Have never tried Arkansas Blacks - but I'll look out for them, they sound like my 'type' of apple.

Apples I would never, ever buy include Golden Delicious and Red Delicious...what a misnomer! Only useful if you have false teeth and need something soft, bland and mushy to suck on :ROFLMAO:

Paint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom